Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving license

• 25-02-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey Folks
    Ok today i passed my driving test. I am just curious as to what happens if i am stopped by the gaurds over the next few days before i send away for the license. Will i get away with showing my provisional and the cert that says i passed my test,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You'll probably get away with it but a cert is not a full license. Usually when the license comes (at least when I applied) it will be back dated to the date on the cert (I applied for my license the same day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Technically you shouldn't drive on your own until you have your forms into the tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ciaran10 wrote: »
    Hey Folks
    Ok today i passed my driving test. I am just curious as to what happens if i am stopped by the gaurds over the next few days before i send away for the license. Will i get away with showing my provisional and the cert that says i passed my test,

What you have is a "certificate of competency", it is not a full driving license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So, technically you could be committing a number of offences before you even get your licence :eek:
    a) driving without a valid driving licence - max €2000 as you never had one before.
    b) failure to carry a licence while driving - if the Garda demanded to see it there and tehn at the roadside you can't produce it.
    c) failure to produce a licence within 10 days if the Garda demanded you show it at a Garda station (and assuming your licence application is still sitting on a desk somewhere in the Motor Tax office)

Edit
    A Certificate of Competency can be used in defence of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its grand once you have the learner permit and cert with you.
    Then while you wait for your licence after handing them in, make sure you carry the recieptwith you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can legally drive with the certificate of competency but not on a motorway.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So, technically you could be committing a number of offences before you even get your licence :eek:
    a) driving without a valid driving licence - max €2000 as you never had one before.
    b) failure to carry a licence while driving - if the Garda demanded to see it there and tehn at the roadside you can't produce it.
    c) failure to produce a licence within 10 days if the Garda demanded you show it at a Garda station (and assuming your licence application is still sitting on a desk somewhere in the Motor Tax office)
    You are going a bit OTT. If one didn't have a valid licence, (b) and (c) wouldn't apply. You can't be expected to produce a licence that you don't have one!!

Advertisement