Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS SQL certification..

Options
  • 25-02-2010 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I used to work with MS SQL server 2000 and 2005, I worked with DTS and SSIS packages and migrated packages from 2000 - 2005.

I wrote a lot of SQL procedures for reporting packages.

I was wondering what would a good certification to get, as i'd like to get
    back into it .... there is a lot for MS SQL server 2008 ..

anyone do these exams and is possible to do a self study ?

if so anyone recommend good books, and whether there is a
    "student" edition of MS SQL 2008 i can install on my machine and play around with.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

There's a certification forum here OP, should have more specific info;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

Re SQL Server, the Express Edition is a free version of it, pretty similar to the full one;
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Thanks , what about books, is it advisable to do a "self study" ?
    to be honest i can't be forking out 2,000 Sterling for a 4 day course...

is there a good book for a prep kit + sample exams ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

My Goodness ... I have been studying this and going through the exercises in the book ... I thought i was flying untill i tried a test .... :(

very tough ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

the_monkey wrote: »
    My Goodness ... I have been studying this and going through the exercises in the book ... I thought i was flying untill i tried a test .... :(

very tough ....

I'm using the CBT Nuggets for this exam and find them very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Some accounting/finance jobs require SQL skills. I presume it's Microsoft SQL they're after

Fas don't have a course... where can I get certified?

I'm a bit new to this as I'm not an engineer like some of the guys on this forum so a nudge in the right direction for a provider would be helpful. I don't see COMPTIA doing one specifically for sql. Some learning providers only do corporate bookings en masse so it's very difficult googling around for these courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Lots of COs out there are using MySQL...due of being free !
    Dunno sure the difference but do not ignore it...it can be a differentiation factor when looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok

Couple of different certs out there depending if you want to go on the DBA track or the Developer track.

I have some info on my blog (see links in my sig) about these.

You need to first off pick a track and then pick the server version you want to work with. If you come back with that information, I can probably advise you better on it.

Advertisement