Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wimax broadband going nationwide

Options
  • 25-02-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭

if anyone is interested in kilkenny city and kilkenny county,wiimax is a company that has launched recently with a few live spots already up and running.the more interest the receive from your area then your area will become live.

i have nothing what so ever to do with the company,am posting this because i was a ice broadband customer and our area has been down for over a month now and no sign of it returning.so i was doing a search on google and discovered wiimax it looks a really great service with 7mb down for 35 per month.
    i was giving ice bb 37.99 for 3mb down and it was,nt actually 3mb i was getting from them,it was far less.

i also spoke to wiimax on the phone and the say that you get the 7mb 24/7 its not just saying we give you 7mb down and you end up getting 3mb down.its 7mb down 24/7.

would be great if people from kk could sign up your interest on the site,as i said the more interest the get from one area then thats the area that will get priority with going live.

www.imagine.ie/wimax-splash/index.html

check it out and see what you think.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It looks great on paper but very little reports of people actually using it on the Broadband forum which is concerning.

Imagine fecked up big time as they kept advertising "coming soon" and saying they'd have a press release soon to announce it but as the kept delaying it more and more people got pissed off with them....and rightly so :)

I'd be very sceptical about their speed claims as you'll notice Three Mobile also claims you'll receive this and that speed and even the government has claimed that Three's NBS network will provide a minimum speed of 1MB....yet such a speed cannot be guaranteed on Three's network due to the technology being used (basically you can't control contention)

imho people in Kilkenny would be better off looking for cable and ADSL, if eircom upgraded the existing exchanges to ADSL2+ this would slighly improve the exisiting reach of ADSL availability on phone lines throughout Kilkenny City & County.

the following exchange however will NOT be upgraded to ADSL2+ as it stands right now
    BALLYRAGGET BRT Kilkenny
    BENNETTSBRIDGE BTB Kilkenny
    CALLAN CLN Kilkenny
    CASTLECOMER CCM Kilkenny
    FRESHFORD FFD Kilkenny
    GORESBRIDGE GBE Kilkenny
    GRAIGUENAMANAGH GMH Kilkenny
    JENKINSTOWN JKN Kilkenny
    JOHNSTOWN JSN Kilkenny
    MOONCOIN MCN Kilkenny
    THOMASTOWN TTN Kilkenny

Getting WiMax in even Kilkenny City may likely be a long way off, if you look at Waterford you'll see they have three transmitters all three are pre-wimax, kilkenny only has one and its also pre-wimax.

You'd want an AWFUL LOT of interest before Imagine would even consider more then one transmietter outside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Don't get me started on three 'broadband'. I was never foolhardy enough to actually pay for it, but I have used it on other people's computer from time to time and every internet browsing experience leaves me trembling with rage. It's just impossible to get anything done efficiently with it.
    was giving ice bb 37.99 for 3mb
    A cool €38 for Ice? This seems rather steep, no? I am paying €50ish a month for 15megs down with Chorus/NTL - no problems with it at all - and I get TV with that too. Getting a really good ping/jitter off the exchange as well it must be just around the corner. Download a 400 meg movie in about 7 mins. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Don't get me started on three 'broadband'. I was never foolhardy enough to actually pay for it, but I have used it on other people's computer from time to time and every internet browsing experience leaves me trembling with rage. It's just impossible to get anything done efficiently with it.

A cool €38 for Ice? This seems rather steep, no? I am paying €50ish a month for 15megs down with Chorus/NTL - no problems with it at all - and I get TV with that too. Getting a really good ping/jitter off the exchange as well it must be just around the corner. Download a 400 meg movie in about 7 mins. Wonderful.

living in the sticks gives me no choice,no eircom bb here.
    digiweb want 30 euro per month for 1 mb down and 256kb up,so ice looks a bargain compared to that.
    but ice is now down in my area over a month now without ice.
    so i had to buy a o2 modem which is really only and good for browsing the web.:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Try Permanet. Usually good for rural areas. I'm on the 3mb and find it very good. Was using 3g up until it became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

no coverage in my area m8

Try Permanet. Usually good for rural areas. I'm on the 3mb and find it very good. Was using 3g up until it became available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement