Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

obese but desperately wanting baby

Options
  • 25-02-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, myself and my husband desperately want to start a family but i am severly obese! i have had a weight problem since i was a toddler and have tried every diet you can think off! i have even considered putting my body through a gastric bypass but unfortunately i cannot afford this. i have come to the stage now where i am jealous off every pregnant woman i meet. i have talked to my gp about this and they have told me to lose 2/3 stone first. i am trying my best to get the weight off as i dont want to be fat mother.

i just wanted to see if there is women on this forum who are obese and have had healthy babies and how they got on with their pregnancy?

I am only looking for people to reply who have genuine and helpful advise please.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi i would have been classed borderline obesse, was 14 stone and 5ft 8. To be honest son now two it does make the pregnancy harder at the end = pain in back and i had high blood pressure but,... I have a very healthy happy little boy and i am planning on going again soon.

I dont know what you have tried, when i discovered I was expecting I made a vow to walk for two hours every day and i subconciously ate healthier because I had baby in mind. When I had him i weighed less than at start. Good luck I do hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy. I have found since my son had been on his feet I have not been off mine so this time round I am three stone less so i do think it will be a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Its not impoosible to become pregnant just because you are obese! I'm quite 'big' and I've just had a healthy baby girl 8 weeks ago. I did find pregnancy quite hard from about 32 weeks tho and had alot of pelvic pain and found walking quite difficult rowards the end. I did myself no favours and ate alot of cake too and I gained alot of weight during the pregnancy!

My advice would be to just start eating healthy, get a bit of exercise, start taking folic acid and have a bit of fun trying! Think of the calories you'll burn ttc ;)

Even if you don't conceive straight away, at least you're taking all the right steps towards a healthier lifestyle.

If you want to lose weight before trying, would you consider speaking to your GP about taking Xenical or get Alli over the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for the advice! I am determined to lose as much as possible before i become pregnant. I have tried xenical, reductil and lipotrim unfortunately i ended up putting more weight back on!

I am glad to hear everything went well for you both and you have had healthy children, congrats to you both!

I am going to start a weight loss class this week and get myself motivated to do more exercise than i have been doing!

Fingers crossed i may be on this forum under the "pregnant" thread soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Are you having difficulty conceiving? or do you just want to lose weight to enable you to have a healthier pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

hi unreg

since you have had a weight problem since childhood, you should make sure your doctor tests you for some health problems that may attribute toward weight. for example, a friend of mine had resigned to the thought that she was just a big girl, and had been all her life but at the age of 28 was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. she had lived with a thyroid problem all her life without even realising it!

i suppose im just mentioning it as it would do you good to make sure that you have a full health check before you ttc (as should everyone regardless of their weight anyway)

if you can rule out any possible health issues then at least you will have better peace of mind when you do become pregnant...

best of luck xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

unreg'd wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for the advice! I am determined to lose as much as possible before i become pregnant. I have tried xenical, reductil and lipotrim unfortunately i ended up putting more weight back on!

There's a good reason for this. These kinds of diets generally result in rapid weight gain after the weight loss because they destroy your metabolism and strip you of vital muscle while you lose weight. Drop into the fitness forum for some good advice on losing weight and keeping it off (or you can PM me if you like).

Some basic advice: The battle is won or lost in the kitchen. Try to drop white things out of your diet. Bread. Spuds. Rice. Pasta. Stuff like that. Replace it with green things. Lots and lots of veg. Exercise regularly and try to work up a sweat. You should see your GP before starting an exercise regime if you're very heavy.

Set a goal.

Good luck. :)

Advertisement