Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to kit out a 360 ?

• 25-02-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just got myself an XBOX 360 with no Hard Drive, Cables, or controller.

Just wondering what would cost me to kit it out with Controller, Power Adapter and possible a hard drive?

Also, I'd be interested in turning this into a media box extender. Do I need to purchase anything for this or is it all software?

Here's the back of the XBOX to give you an idea of the model I have and the stuff I require.

Thanks in advance guys..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningShovel

GAME sell used controllers for about €25 as far as I know. New ones would be around €35-€45 I myself think the black ones feel a bit lighter and more responsive, but that's probably the influence of the Elite being black so Black=Better ;)

Did a bit of research on power cables and it turned up this:
    There has been three different power supply for the Xbox 360, 203W, 175W(Falcon), and 150W (Jasper). The 203W one is arguably the best since it will work with every console. The 175W will work with the Falcon or Jasper console, and the 150W will only work with Jasper console only. Remember the Wattage of the power supply is the "Maximum" power it can deliver, you "will not" be using more power if you are running a Jasper console with a 203w power supply. The power supply will only put out the require power the console requires (upto its maximum). The "only reason" the newer consoles are coming with lower wattage power supply is cost cutting on Microsofts part nothing more. During new (falcon, jasper) console introduction its common to get a new console with older power supply as the stock of power supplies is often greater then the stock of new consoles.
    So basically if you're buying a power cable, try and get a 203w one. You can find out which chipset your console is here. It looks like you have a falcon from the manufacturing date but I'd check the power supply to be sure. Can't trust those sneaky devils at M$ :)

As for a hard drive, I think GAME do used ones aswell but I can't be sure. If you're interested in Xbox LIVE, I would point you towards this offer which I got recently and is great value.

AV cables can be used such as this one, but HDMI is also there. Make sure your TV supports audio through HDMI as some don't. I made this mistake and had to play without sound for a week :o

Media box extender? How so? You can play media through USB and stream media from your Windows Media Centre PC, but I don't think you can actually transfer stuff onto the Xbox HDD via USB. The only way to get music tracks on it is to rip them from a CD :rolleyes:

Hope this helps,

~RS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just got myself an XBOX 360 with no Hard Drive, Cables, or controller.

Just wondering what would cost me to kit it out with Controller, Power Adapter and possible a hard drive?

Also, I'd be interested in turning this into a media box extender. Do I need to purchase anything for this or is it all software?

Here's the back of the XBOX to give you an idea of the model I have and the stuff I require.

Thanks in advance guys..
    Game or GameStop should have plenty of spare power adapters and may very well give you one for free if you also buy a controller and second hand hard drive off them.

As for turning it into a media box extender, you can stream over the network from a PC or laptop using a program like TVersity which will also transcode files that aren't supported (such as .mkv) so that they can be played. Alternatively you can just hook up a USB drive full of XviD's or DivX and it can play these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

it'd be nice to get a PSU for free too..

Thanks for the advice guys.

as a matter of interest - where do you get an xbox with no power supply, cables etc. - did it "fall off the back of a truck"?!

as a matter of interest - where do you get an xbox with no power supply, cables etc. - did it "fall off the back of a truck"?!

Funny you ask..

I was bringing out the rubbish the other day. Looked into the bin to check was it recycling or rubbish (or xboxes) that went into that bin. There was the xbox sitting in the bin. I took it home with me.

It turns out to be sick (One red power indicator & E74) so I call MS. This box hasn't even been registered before so I put it in my name. They then proceed to tell me that it is still under warranty and they'll repair it for free. The UPS man is coming next week.

WOHOO! :pac::):cool:

• Advertisement

fair enough - good thinking on checking the warranty.

fair enough - good thinking on checking the warranty.

Yea, I was amazed when the woman told me this on the phone. What was up with the person who threw this out??

Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

AdMMM wrote: »
    As for turning it into a media box extender, you can stream over the network from a PC or laptop using a program like TVersity which will also transcode files that aren't supported (such as .mkv) so that they can be played. Alternatively you can just hook up a USB drive full of XviD's or DivX and it can play these.

ive never gotten TVersity to work correctly and play MKV, and i use my xbox as a media player alot - i stream from my windows 7 pc.
    ive also never gotten my xbox to play DviX s. AFAIK it only supports Xvid. But ide love to be proved wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Definitely works with DivX, although maybe some variations don't work due to sound settings. As for your problem with TVersity, is it a wireless network that you're using and what kind of processor has your PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

No its wired with ICS if that makes any difference?
    any time i try to play a dviX file it says unsupported codec etc. Although im not using the media center, just the videos tab.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP

Advertisement