Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Bone Meal?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Where can you get bone meal in big bags? I have several hundred hornbeam hedge plants and about 100 trees that I want to get off to a good start. I can only find the bonemeal in tiny (and expensive) tubs in local garden centres.
    I'm in the North East.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

So your post got me curious as bone meal is often recommended to use on several plants.

So I googled and it seems easy enough to get in China :rolleyes:

Would you try using a different type of fertiliser? Chicken manure pellets are good and not too expensive. Or you could use well rotted horse manure if you can get it, it's best if it is over a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I've been told that bonemeal isn't used anymore since the whole BSE thing a few years ago...yet you see it recommended everywhere when planting trees!!!

Looks like its still available in the UK though although they only ship it to UK mainland.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/25KG-SACK-OF-STERILISED-BONEMEAL-ELLIOTTS-GRO-WELL_W0QQitemZ150418032967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV?hash=item23059d0947

My brother used to manage a fertiliser factory about 10 years ago that made chicken manure pellet fertiliser. I remember they had a massive shed full of blood, fish and bonemeal that they mixed with the chicken manure before forming it into pellets. I think the company has gone bust since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

lidil and aldi had it at times last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Big packs of Blood,Fish and Bonemeal can be got at any DIY store.

Advertisement