Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing a 30D kit lens?

• 25-02-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I own a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Having begun photographing for prints recently I've noticed that there's an inherent softness in my pictures. I have no idea if it is front-or back-focusing, but there is softness. Umm. And the lens is also showing a lot of wear and tear - the zoom is loose and tends to stick.

I would love some L glass, but it is utterly beyond my budget at this point. This is my dream lens...but I'm dreaming. :D

My options include the Sigma 10-20mm and Canon 10-22mm, pending me checking their IR compatibility.

Anyone want to toss out other options? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

70-200 F4 L *NON IS* ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I should have been clearer, but I really need a wide-angle for my landscapes. I had the 70-200mm on loan over Christmas and while it is an amazing lens, I really don't have any use for it.

I've just ruled out the Sigma 10-20mm due to hotspotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

There's a Tamron with similar focal range to the Sigma:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_10-24_3p5-5p6_n15/

I've seen the Canon EFS 10-22 on sale in Dublin for €900! The 17-40 f/4L is marginally cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The tokina 12-24 is a super lens for wide angle landscapes. It's quite sharp too. The other option is the 17-50l which I tried out for a few days and I was blown away with the sharpness. It's expensive tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

What about Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens? €500 in the shops, don't know anything about it but it might cover the focal lengths required.

They also have 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG - that's listed in one shop here at €350 and 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 which is also €500 new.

I've no idea about any of them or what they're like I'm just basing it on them being vaguely similar to the EFS 17-85.

The Tokina 12-24mm is out too. Clicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yes.

The 17-40 was a great tip. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Fenster wrote: »
    The 17-40 was a great tip. :D

I got one lately, really really love the lens. I managed to get it used on E-bay, in great nick for 330 euros...:D

I was looking out for one for ages and have seen them on adverts for a little over 400 Euros and remember seeing some for 500 - 520 ish sterling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Canon 10-22 on my IR converted 350D. Wish I had this lens for IR all the time.
    3869899159_52c70d2a43.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens? €500 in the shops... I bought a new one on ebay 2 years ago for less than GBP200. Photozone.de damn it with faint praise - but its a great general purpose lens & a step up from the 18-55kit lens IMO. But - dont spend eu500 on one...you could buy 2 of them for that kind of money!

After mulling it about I've decided to pick up a 17-40 sometime over the summer if/when I have the capital to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

tokina 11-16 2.8? You don't get many wide angle lenses with wide aperture, this is one of them. I own it and can't say a bad word about it.

I actually had a very brief try of the Tokina 11-16 in visible light and reports are favourable toward it too. But here is my thing: I can pick up a 17-40 L (used) for the same price as a new Tokina. My sole problem with the Tokina was that it looked and felt like a lump of cheap plastic.

Advertisement