Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options
  • 25-02-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Im sure most of us are aware of the Tesco "Buy me I'm Irish" promotion.
    Basically ther pick out a number of products that they claim are Irish produced and tag them with this label at shelf level with a nice tri-colour giving the impression they product is from the irish republic.

Having taken a closer look at some of thier products I discoverd an error in a particluar store where some products produced in Northern Ireland were tagged with the BuyMe I'm Irish promo. I sent a mail to the Tesco customer service centre and the reply I got is listed below.

to my shock I dicovered whats described in my proceeding mail this evening.
    What is amounts to is nothing short of a fraud and deception.

DFM
    G,

Thank you for the response to my query. I presumed that following my email, Tesco would have made a point of ensuring that the products they have merchandised in their stores were being done so in a fair and honest manner going forward, whilst allowing that a certain time frame would be required to facilitate such. So I'm sure that you will understand my surprise and almost shock, when shopping in your Lucan store I discovered the following all listed as "Buy Me I'm Irish":

• Tesco Giant Baps (prominent statement to front of packaging stating Produced in Northern Ireland).
    • Tesco light choices Hot Cross Buns (produced in United Kingdom).
    • Tesco Value Pancakes (produced in the United Kingdom).
    • Tesco Value soda farls ( produced in Northern Ireland).
    • Howell House Snowy Joes (produced in Northern Ireland)
    • Rankin cinnamon and raisin Soda (produced in Northern Ireland).
    • Rankin irish fruit soda (produced in Northern Ireland)
    I can understand to a point that given the enormous number of SKU's any Tesco store may deal with, private label products could be mislabelled...but the relatively high number of Tesco own brand products being falsely advertised as being Irish would suggest to me that there is a systematic attempt to deceive and mislead the Irish consumer.
    I feel that this issue is not a minor one of a mistake on a duty managers part...but an attempt by Irelands leading multiple, at an executive level, to disguise the fact that the level of Irish produced product on their shelves is being reduced (as I understand it, Group Corporate Buying has almost entirely moved to the United Kingdom, with exception of Bakery).
    To this end I have felt the need to copy our correspondence to leading Irish National media.

Kind regards

DFM

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:53:01 +0000
    > From: customer.service@tesco.co.uk
    > To: @hotmail.com
    > Subject: TES7321972X Re: Misleading Tesco Merchandising
    >
    > Dear D
    >
    > Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay with my response.
    >
    > Please let me assure you that we will always try to respond to our customers’ queries in a timely manner and I am sorry that this has not happened on this occasion.
    >
    > I was concerned to learn that on visiting your Celbridge store that, the Ormo "Hi Fibre" Wheaten and Rankin Irish Sodabread were listed under the "Buy Me I'm Irish" tagline and that you have reason to believe these products are not Irish due to the details on the packaging of the Bread.
    >
    > In relation to this, I can assure you that we would never intentionally mislead any of our customers and I can assure you that intensive research is done when listing a product.
    >
    > However, I have fully logged your concerns regarding this issue and passed details of your complaint onto Mary the Duty Manager.
    > She has assured me that this will be investigated further and addressed accordingly.
    >
    > I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and if I can help you any further please don't hesitate to contact me at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES7321972X.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    >
    > G
    > Customer Service Manager
    > Tesco Customer Service
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Original Message
    > From: "F@hotmail.com>
    > Date: 14 February 2010
    > Subject: Misleading Tesco Merchandising
    >
    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > On a recent shopping trip to your Celbridge Store, I was most surprised to notice, on the pre-packaged breads, the following products listed under the "Buy Me I'm Irish" tagline:
    >
    > Ormo "Hi Fibre" Wheaten.
    >
    > Rankin Irish Sodabread.
    >
    > On closer inspection of the products labels it states the company's offices are both located in Northern Ireland...United Kingdom!!...not Republic of Ireland as the tagline and the underlying tricolour insinuates
    >
    > This type of branding/advertising/merchandising is unfair to the discerning consumer and I would ask that Tesco ceases this practice.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > DFM
    > >
    > ________________________________
    > Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.<https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969&gt;
    > ________________________________
    > This is an e-mail from Tesco Ireland and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information but please delete the e-mail as soon as possible. Any views in the e-mail are those of the sender only and not those of the Tesco Group. Unless stated otherwise this e-mail is not intended to be contractually binding.
    >
    > Tesco Ireland Ltd., Gresham House, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.
    > Registered in Ireland Reg No. 19542
    >

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Northern Ireland's Irish enough for me.

I remember the Guaranteed Irish campaign that was here years ago, before Tesco showed up, and particularly remember the Guaranteed Irish orange juice. I always wondered where they got the fruit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They are Irish - or are you forgetting that there are 6 other counties on the island of Ireland?

The people up there may be British citizens, but they are no less Irish than you or I.

They're just not 'Republic of Irish'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dudara wrote: »
    They are Irish - or are you forgetting that there are 6 other counties on the island of Ireland?

The people up there may be British citizens, but they are no less Irish than you or I.

They're just not 'Republic of Irish'

But the point is they place a republic of Ireland flag on these products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

regardless of your opinion or feelings on the whole N.irish issue....the fact remains that the 6 counties of N.ireland are part of the United Kingdom Of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. Taxes paid are for the benefit of her Majestys Goverment....to serve the population of GB...not the republic of Ireland.

Northern Ireland does not fly the Tri-colour...so why use this as a mechanisim to replace Irish food manufactuers?

Tesco is trying to hide the fact that they are replacing Irish suppliers with british ones. Take a look down the cold meats isle. IMHO Carroll meats is the mainstay of irish cold meat producers...but look at the fact they now occupy a tiny shelf space in comparison with mainland UK manufactuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose they could have 'Buy me I'm Irish' and a Union Flag on the label of things made in the North, then it would be correct either way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    But the point is they place a republic of Ireland flag on these products

the Tri-colour actually predates the Republic of Ireland, some people "up north" fly it on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the Tri-colour actually predates the Republic of Ireland, some people "up north" fly it on occasion.

That may be the case but it is recognized as the flag of the republic of Ireland not the island of Ireland. Have to agree with the OP Northern Irish is a different country. Regardless of wither people feel the whole island is one country the fact is, at this point in time, it isn't. Alot of peoples motivation for buying Irish products would be to support local jobs which products from Northern Ireland do not do.

Tesco should either alter there advertising or make it clear in said advertising that items marked as "Irish" could be sourced from the whole island of Ireland and not just the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

A product doesn't have to be produced in Ireland to be labelled as "Irish".
    If it is packaged here, it can be labelled as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

agree with magenta, paulo tullio was on newstalk last week talking about labelling of food. there's a big difference between smoked irish salmon, and irish smoked salmon, but both can have the tricolour on them.
    the rest of the stuff he said was really really scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can see your argument with regard to use of the tricolour. That could be interpreted as meaning Republic of Ireland.

I wouldn't however, call the advertising 'fraudulent' as that implies criminality. I would instead call it 'misleading'.

If I were in your position, I would register a complaint with the ASAI - they're quite good at processing complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While I accept the point made by the OP, I cannot say it's fraud. It's a mistake!
    To be honest I think the whole thing is a bit petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the tricolor is used by republicans in Ni. So its incorrect to say its ROI only

its advertised as 'by me im irish' and not 'by me im ROI-irish. '

so i think there is a bit of an assumption on the part of the OP here.

Also just to mention, this is more of an industry wide issue, not just tesco related. I'm sure if tesco didn run the 'buy me im irish' campaign, that would have far worse ramifications for us. So damned if they do, and damned if they dont it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Magenta wrote: »
    A product doesn't have to be produced in Ireland to be labelled as "Irish".
    If it is packaged here, it can be labelled as Irish.

Exactly, everyone associates Lyons tea with Ireland but I don't recall seeing any tea trees in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I got 'Irish butter' in my local supermarket in Duesseldorf.

150_150_791768_markant_ean_4001954161133H.JPG

Made at the factory in Neukirchen-Vluyn....

I FEEL DECEIVED !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Misleading marketing!?! well I never... Next you'll be telling me those products are really not "new & improved" ;)

If you want the REAL info on a product it is in the small print on the back, ignore all big fonts on the front and signs in the aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

Someone's trolling Tesco's lol.

Don't see any issue, the products are made in Ireland after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought the guaranteed Irish scheme and similar existed to promote produce from this country, as in this nation state. I doubt it has anything to do with nationalism and the north. Otherwise it's no different to buying from Spain or Austria.

bladespin wrote: »
    Someone's trolling Tesco's lol.

Don't see any issue, the products are made in Ireland after all.

How are pancakes and bread made in the UK, Irish?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Dymo wrote: »
    Exactly, everyone associates Lyons tea with Ireland but I don't recall seeing any tea trees in Ireland.

Plenty of Yorkshire Terriers and German Shepherds in the country... they are misleading too ;)

How are pancakes and bread made in the UK, Irish?????

Made in Northern Ireland, still part of Ireland (not getting into the politics) so they're certainly Irish.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Made in Northern Ireland, still part of Ireland (not getting into the politics) so they're certainly Irish.

These are 2 products listed as made in the UK the others are listed as made in Northern Ireland

These are 2 products listed as made in the UK the others are listed as made in Northern Ireland

Ah, well everyone can make mistakes :D wouldn't hold that against them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Iv just dropped that in there for all those who think Northern Ireland is a part of the Republic of Ireland

150px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png...and of course the union flag which is the only flag with offical staus in Northern Ireland ( not the tricolour as someone mentioned).
    the tricolor is used by republicans in Ni. So its incorrect to say its ROI only

its advertised as 'by me im irish' and not 'by me im ROI-irish. '

so i think there is a bit of an assumption on the part of the OP here.

Also just to mention, this is more of an industry wide issue, not just tesco related. I'm sure if tesco didn run the 'buy me im irish' campaign, that would have far worse ramifications for us. So damned if they do, and damned if they dont it appears
    ...so what your saying is that Tesco have joined in the political debate on Northern Irelands status by validating the offical use of the tri-colour to associate Northern Irish produced product as Irish/32 countyish??

I think we had better scoot off to the DUP,UUP,UK Independence Party and see what they all have to say about that.

Heres another way of looking at it....why does anyone think Tesco bothered with this promotion?...why did they bother spending time concieving the concept...rolling it out on a national store wide level...spending the money having the fliers printed...spending the money on its staff placing these fluttering labels all over thier isles if they didnt think for one moment that there would be a commerical benefit!!!!..of course they did...because they know..that there is a significat portion of the Irish consumer cohort that makes a concerted effort to purchase locally or irish produced product (as distinct from Irish origin Mr lyons tea bag, orange juice poster).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I was in Tesco Clare Hall a while back. They had a big display in the fruit & Veg section claiming it all to be Irish fruit and veg.
    My mother was with me, she took out a tomato and removed the stem and smelt it. She told me that they were not Irish as she says Irish tomatoes have a distinctive smell, she said get the manager.
    I said leave it out Ma! they will think you are bonkers. She got the manager and told him what she thought, he went off, came back and said he apologised and they were put there by mistake and the were Dutch . Don't know if they ever changed the stock, but I guess not.

They are good at mistakes in their favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Voltex wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Iv just dropped that in there for all those who think Northern Ireland is a part of the Republic of Ireland

150px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png...and of course the union flag which is the only flag with offical staus in Northern Ireland ( not the tricolour as someone mentioned).

...so what your saying is that Tesco have joined in the political debate on Northern Irelands status by validating the offical use of the tri-colour to associate Northern Irish produced product as Irish/32 countyish??

I think we had better scoot off to the DUP,UUP,UK Independence Party and see what they all have to say about that.

Heres another way of looking at it....why does anyone think Tesco bothered with this promotion?...why did they bother spending time concieving the concept...rolling it out on a national store wide level...spending the money having the fliers printed...spending the money on its staff placing these fluttering labels all over thier isles if they didnt think for one moment that there would be a commerical benefit!!!!..of course they did...because they know..that there is a significat portion of the Irish consumer cohort that makes a concerted effort to purchase locally or irish produced product (as distinct from Irish origin Mr lyons tea bag, orange juice poster).

If people are so worried about buying Republic of Ireland only products why are they shopping in Tesco and not Dunnes or Superquinn? Surely by supporting a native Irish supermarket they'd be more supportive of RoI, since all the profit that Tesco makes is taken out of the country.

If you are really worried about where something is made then check the back of it and it'll tell you. There have been plenty of threads here about special offers but the product on special isn't close to the sticker. You need to verify for yourself which product is on special same as the "Irish" products in Tesco.

just in case...for those who dont know what promotion Im on about..see attached a picture of the tesco light choices hotcross buns..that have Produced in the UK printed on the back

Del2005 wrote: »
    If people are so worried about buying Republic of Ireland only products why are they shopping in Tesco and not Dunnes or Superquinn? Surely by supporting a native Irish supermarket they'd be more supportive of RoI, since all the profit that Tesco makes is taken out of the country.

If you are really worried about where something is made then check the back of it and it'll tell you. There have been plenty of threads here about special offers but the product on special isn't close to the sticker. You need to verify for yourself which product is on special same as the "Irish" products in Tesco.

so the mitigating factor in Tescos ball of lies..is that if we wanted to be sure we were buying Irish..we should have checked the packet, as opposed to trusting what this major multi national multiple was telling us??

Guys...theres no getting away from the fact that Tesco are misleading irish consumers. I cant wait to hear the reasoned argument defending the promo flier on the pic I posted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

To me northern irish is irish. I am a nationalist. As for those who say the money goes to the englis govt where do you think tesco profits go...
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Northern Ireland's Irish enough for me.

I remember the Guaranteed Irish campaign that was here years ago, before Tesco showed up, and particularly remember the Guaranteed Irish orange juice. I always wondered where they got the fruit from.

it was concentrate reproduced as juice in cabra by fruit juices/batchelors.
    Dymo wrote: »

Same as the bathcelors story above. Bought in bulk...Mixed and packaged.

It also happens with most of our eggs. They are stamped uk but from northen ireland.

With the amount of people using aldi.lidl I dont imagine many care.

• Advertisement

To me northern irish is irish. I am a nationalist. As for those who say the money goes to the englis govt where do you think tesco profits go...

Well no offence but they are using the national flag of the republic of Ireland on the promotion. As regards where the money goes, yes Tesco's profits go to the UK, but the money they paid for Irish goods goes to Irish suppliers and the tax goes to the Irish government and the salaries go to Irish citizens.

it was concentrate reproduced as juice in cabra by fruit juices/batchelors.

Same as the bathcelors story above. Bought in bulk...Mixed and packaged.

It also happens with most of our eggs. They are stamped uk but from northen ireland.

Rightly so Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

With the amount of people using aldi.lidl I dont imagine many care.

Think you will find Aldi and Lidl also sell Irish products

I think also you will find most people when they see the tricolour on a product or promoting a product, assume that the product is made where the flag symbolises, i.e. the Republic of Ireland, and rightly so.......

Advertisement