Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

To me northern irish is irish. I am a nationalist. As for those who say the money goes to the englis govt where do you think tesco profits go...

it was concentrate reproduced as juice in cabra by fruit juices/batchelors.

Same as the bathcelors story above. Bought in bulk...Mixed and packaged.

It also happens with most of our eggs. They are stamped uk but from northen ireland.

With the amount of people using aldi.lidl I dont imagine many care.

thats great...so if I start paying €6 p/h min.wage it should be ok?..in fact if we just forget about the euro and adopt Sterling..it should all be good!
    If the department of SW cut the dole to €60 per week..that should be ok?
    if we all swear allegence to her majesty..that should also be ok?
    If we all carry the Royle Standard on our Passports...that should be ok?

your point can be reversed with the above effects!!...so you can see its pointless making the argument that N.Ireland is the same as Ireland...when quite clearly it isint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I think also you will find most people when they see the tricolour on a product or promoting a product, assume that the product is made where the flag symbolises, i.e. the Republic of Ireland, and rightly so.......

lol.... I would say half of the worlds ornaments and tourist flags are made in china and tbh... i dont imagine many care.

I buy local fruit and veg where possible and from reputable irish labels like Brennans Flavens and GreenIsle. That is the only way I can be sure its irish...

But own brand labeled irish... Yeah right... would not trust it in a million years.

lol.... I would say half of the worlds ornaments and tourist flags are made in china and tbh... i dont imagine many care.

I buy local fruit and veg where possible and from reputable irish labels like Brennans Flavens and GreenIsle. That is the only way I can be sure its irish...

But own brand labeled irish... Yeah right... would not trust it in a million years.

Its just blatant lies!!!...I wouldnt mind if they were using some sort of fancy marketing ploy to make fools of us...but they arent...they wont even give us that credit...they are just telling dammed lies!!!!!!!

a few more photos of Tesco lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Voltex wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Iv just dropped that in there for all those who think Northern Ireland is a part of the Republic of Ireland

150px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png...and of course the union flag which is the only flag with offical staus in Northern Ireland ( not the tricolour as someone mentioned).

...so what your saying is that Tesco have joined in the political debate on Northern Irelands status by validating the offical use of the tri-colour to associate Northern Irish produced product as Irish/32 countyish??

I think we had better scoot off to the DUP,UUP,UK Independence Party and see what they all have to say about that.

Heres another way of looking at it....why does anyone think Tesco bothered with this promotion?...why did they bother spending time concieving the concept...rolling it out on a national store wide level...spending the money having the fliers printed...spending the money on its staff placing these fluttering labels all over thier isles if they didnt think for one moment that there would be a commerical benefit!!!!..of course they did...because they know..that there is a significat portion of the Irish consumer cohort that makes a concerted effort to purchase locally or irish produced product (as distinct from Irish origin Mr lyons tea bag, orange juice poster).

You are mistaking Ireland, for the Republic Of Ireland.

The first is an island on the west coast of Europe , the other is a country that doesn't use that whole area.

Well done tesco tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

jhegarty wrote: »

The first is an island on the west coast of Europe , the other is a country that doesn't use that whole area.

Well done tesco tbh.

Then Tesco are making the same mistake using the flag of the Republic of Ireland on products not made there. I don;t see how you can congratulate them on misleading the public. The tricolour is the flag of the Republic of Ireland not the island of Ireland

jhegarty wrote: »

Well done tesco tbh.
    and would you agree that the National flag of the Irish Republic is identicle to the one Tesco have used in their promo?

well done Tesco alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if we wanted to be sure we were buying Irish..we should have checked the packet
    Yes, this goes for anyshops, the only reason I look at marketing stuff is for a good laugh at the sh!te they expect me to believe.
    I cant wait to hear the reasoned argument defending the promo flier on the pic I posted!!
    I would say its most likely a mistake, some 16 year old lad who couldn't give a crap about his job could have put it up when he was given a handful of them and told to put them up. You would swear the head of tesco snuck it in and put it up, those evil Irish hating bastards. This thread might be better moved here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

I think we could do with a "I hate tesco" forum, it would be very popular. I posted in bargain alerts that tesco were selling 15 bounties for €3.25, 22cent each and some bizarre tesco hating troll came along to say it was not worth of posting in bargain alert!

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, this goes for anyshops, the only reason I look at marketing stuff is for a good laugh at the sh!te they expect me to believe.

I would say its most likely a mistake, some 16 year old lad who couldn't give a crap about his job could have put it up when he was given a handful of them and told to put them up. You would swear the head of tesco snuck it in and put it up, those evil Irish hating bastards. This thread might be better moved here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

I think we could do with a "I hate tesco" forum, it would be very popular. I posted in bargain alerts that tesco were selling 15 bounties for €3.25, 22cent each and some bizarre tesco hating troll came along to say it was not worth of posting in bargain alert!

Yeah he was ridiculous saying 15 snickers for €3.25 wasn't a bargain cause he could get 7 for €1.99 in Dunnes (whioch is dearer and also a special offer) and then went off on a Tesco rant :)

rubadub wrote: »

Without trying to put too fine a point on it...your reasoned argument is total rubbish...but ill humour your opinion. Regardless of who placed the fliers...due diligence requires that adverts,promotions, and product descriptors are un-ambiguous, clear, and not likely to mislead, something Tesco haveclearly side stepped on.

And tbh...I am little more amture than to be motivated by a "I hate Tesco"
    slant!!! What I dont like...its to be dupped into parting with my hard earned cash under false pretences!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Without trying to put too fine a point on it...your reasoned argument is total rubbish...but ill humour your opinion. Regardless of who placed the fliers...due diligence requires that adverts,promotions, and product descriptors are un-ambiguous, clear, and not likely to mislead, something Tesco haveclearly side stepped on.

And tbh...I am little more amture than to be motivated by a "I hate Tesco"
    slant!!! What I dont like...its to be dupped into parting with my hard earned cash under false pretences!!

Have you contacted the ASAI about this? There's no point in posting here and not following up if you care so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you contacted the ASAI about this? There's no point in posting here and not following up if you care so much.

Also, OP, if you care so much, then go into all your local shops and supermarkets and complain...it's happening everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Such nonsense about so little.

Tesco have about 30,000 items in stock and some items are promoted as Irish. So what if they're made in northern Ireland - to many this is still Irish.

Did you know that Lyons tea is not made / packed in Ireland
    Jacobs Biscuits are not made in Ireland
    Waterford Crystal is not made in Waterford
    Chivers Jams are not made in Ireland

I dispise this anti-tesco attitude too many people have. Yes, Tesco is based in the UK but it is a Public company and most pension funds would have a shareholding. So the chances are whilst the profits go into the uk, they are then spread out amongst all shareholders possibly including granny nora in tralee if she has a private pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

91011 wrote: »
    Such nonsense about so little.

Tesco have about 30,000 items in stock and some items are promoted as Irish. So what if they're made in northern Ireland - to many this is still Irish.

Did you know that Lyons tea is not made / packed in Ireland
    Jacobs Biscuits are not made in Ireland
    Waterford Crystal is not made in Waterford
    Chivers Jams are not made in Ireland

I dispise this anti-tesco attitude too many people have. Yes, Tesco is based in the UK but it is a Public company and most pension funds would have a shareholding. So the chances are whilst the profits go into the uk, they are then spread out amongst all shareholders possibly including granny nora in tralee if she has a private pension.

Think the point was that some of the items dont come from either northern or republic of, which I wouldnt mind personally. They use this to sell to the customer, which chivers don't do, along with lyons. Its one thing to imply an irish company its another to say 'Buy me I'm Irish' when it then says 'Made in Nottingham, UK'. About as Irish as me.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Think the point was that some of the items dont come from either northern or republic of, which I wouldnt mind personally. They use this to sell to the customer, which chivers don't do, along with lyons. Its one thing to imply an irish company its another to say 'Buy me I'm Irish' when it then says 'Made in Nottingham, UK'. About as Irish as me.

I was just about to post "I bet there'll be a "Stop buying from (English) Tesco and start shopping in an Irish store" post when I saw your sig :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

just read page one and 3 and i've some pain in my head..can't believe someone actually went in with a camera, took the pictures and posted them here..bored?:rolleyes:

snuggles09 wrote: »
    just read page one and 3 and i've some pain in my head..can't believe someone actually went in with a camera, took the pictures and posted them here..bored?:rolleyes:

If he went into any other shop he would find the exact same thing but this is only scandalous because Tesco are English-owned. *yawn*

Magenta wrote: »
    If he went into any other shop he would find the exact same thing but this is only scandalous because Tesco are English-owned. *yawn*

what stores and products???? Or are you just making assumptions?

what stores and products???? Or are you just making assumptions?

Any store that sells "Irish" products... Although I'm not going to go round taking photos, I have too many hobbies.

Any store that sells "Irish" products... Although I'm not going to go round taking photos, I have too many hobbies.
    So you ARE just making assumptions then.

• Advertisement

So you ARE just making assumptions then.

No, because I have seen it in the stores myself.
    You are the one making assumptions, you are assuming that I am wrong.
    Brits out eh? :rolleyes:

No, because I have seen it in the stores myself.
    You are the one making assumptions, you are assuming that I am wrong.
    Brits out eh? :rolleyes:

No I like Tesco's but if you have seen it in others stores then please do give us an example to verify your belief.

No I like Tesco's but if you have seen it in others stores then please do give us an example to verify your belief.

It's so common that you may as well be asking me to give you an example that dogs have four legs.

It's so common that you may as well be asking me to give you an example that dogs have four legs.

well humour me, if it is so common you must have a load of examples, how about backing up your claim with 1 piece of proof?

well humour me, if it is so common you must have a load of examples, how about backing up your claim with 1 piece of proof?

Look at the plant code on the back of any "Irish" chicken.

Look at the plant code on the back of any "Irish" chicken.

Are you referring to fresh whole chickens? If you are you will find any Irish Chicken is from either Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, and that is fine as both places are Irish.

If you are referring to processed chicken, then if it has been processed in Ireland it can be called Irish regardless of where the chicken comes from.

However as I mention above a fresh chicken labelled Irish chicken has to come from the island of Ireland.

I dont care if it was tesco..superquinn...aldi or spar....the point is that Tesco is the only multiple that have all these fliers fluttering around their aisles claiming product X,Y &Z are Irish drawing the customer in to make a purchase based on an decision that they were buying a product manufactuered in the State (please note the capital S),...along with a tricolour image for that added visual.

Now I know some people have made the point that it could just be error on the part of a shelf stacker...but take a closer look at the shelf label...you can see the products barcode..name..price and an image of a shamrock. Thats there so that the merchandisers know where to place the fliers!
    just read page one and 3 and i've some pain in my head..can't believe someone actually went in with a camera, took the pictures and posted them here..bored?rolleyes.gif

Posters...if you are interested in this debate...contribute..if not..then dont. If you happen to think that my taking of photos in a supermarket with my hi tech ( now wait for this) camera phone phone is daft keep that opinion to yourself and your loved ones.

I dont care if it was tesco..superquinn...aldi or spar....the point is that Tesco is the only multiple that have all these fliers fluttering around their aisles claiming product X,Y &Z are Irish drawing the customer in to make a purchase based on an decision that they were buying a product manufactuered in the State (please note the capital S),...along with a tricolour image for that added visual.

Not really, Superquinn online shopping displays a shamrock beside Irish/"Irish" products.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

91011 wrote: »

Yes, I'd bet that Tesco has got more Irish shareholders than many Irish companies, and definitely more than Dunnes, Superquinn and Musgrave etc...

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, I'd bet that Tesco has got more Irish shareholders than many Irish companies, and definitely more than Dunnes, Superquinn and Musgrave etc...

Not forgetting they hire Irish staff, buy products from Irish-owned companies, etc. You see the old "Go to an Irish store" crap trotted out a lot here.

Advertisement