Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Magenta wrote: »
    Also, OP, if you care so much, then go into all your local shops and supermarkets and complain...it's happening everywhere.

You still haven't given an example of a store and a product from your large repertoire, just a reference to chicken with no product details and no store. Would you care to back up these statements you are making with some facts, e.g. a product and a store where a product is being sold as Irish with a tricolour and is not from Ireland. And i don't mean processed food in Ireland, an example like the hotcross bun made in Nottingham and being sold under the banner buy me I'm Irish and the tricolour.
    It is very easy for people to make sweeping statements like "it's happening everywhere", well if it is so common you must have hundreds of examples of products and stores, why not just give us one or two........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, I'd bet that Tesco has got more Irish shareholders than many Irish companies, and definitely more than Dunnes, Superquinn and Musgrave etc...

given that that Tesco is the only PLC listed there?...so given the total number of issued ordinary and preference shares chances are.
    Not forgetting they hire Irish staff, buy products from Irish-owned companies
    ...so you agree that identifying irish product is good for Irish jobs and Irish companies....and that its probably safe to say that there is a sizeable section of the cosumer that would like to buy Irish for the above reason?

I dont know why everyone is being distracted from the butt of this thread!
    The facts are that Tesco are labeling product produced in the UK as Irish..just as the UK multiples label their foods british.

Take a look at the image http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1267307211805

Now given the name...the little flag flying off the burger...how would you think the consumer would react if they discovered the burger came from Brazil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    You still haven't given an example of a store and a product from your large repertoire, just a reference to chicken with no product details and no store. Would you care to back up these statements you are making with some facts, e.g. a product and a store where a product is being sold as Irish with a tricolour and is not from Ireland.

Sorry I am not at your beck and call to run to a supermarket with a camera as soon as you click your fingers....I do have a life.

Sorry I am not at your beck and call to run to a supermarket with a camera as soon as you click your fingers....I do have a life.

I'll take that to mean you have none, thank you....I don;t want you or anyone at my beck and call but I do like people to be able to back up their statements with some facts

I'll take that to mean you have none, thank you....

LOL....you honestly sat at your computer for an hour waiting on me to go to the supermarket for you and report back?

• Advertisement

LOL....you honestly sat at your computer for an hour waiting on me to go to the supermarket for you and report back?

No but you previously stated you have seen it everywhere, well I would have thought you would be able to remember one example

No but you previously stated you have seen it everywhere, well I would have thought you would be able to remember one example

Yeah hold on while I recall the plant codes off the back of the packages of all the "Irish" meat I have bought in the past 6 months....

Yeah hold on while I recall the plant codes off the back of the packages of all the "Irish" meat I have bought in the past 6 months....

Very good and what where were the plant codes for and was it labelled Irish Mince Meat etc or just Mince Meat?... and what shop?
    And if all the meat you bought in the last 6 months was labelled Irish I would love to know what shop you buy it in..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

.....thanks you two....youve made me laugh out loud!!:D

Voltex wrote: »
    .....thanks you two....youve made me laugh out loud!!:D

It makes a change from wandering around Tesco with a camera...

• Advertisement

Most people actually have mobile phones these days and amazingly enough the vast majority of them have a camera.. now I know this may come as a shock to you, but you'd be amazed at the technology today :)
    And a result of this he was able to back up his statements with some hard evidence and facts :)
    Anyway I am finished on this subject now.....

Magenta wrote:
    Most people actually have mobile phones these days and amazingly enough the vast majority of them have a camera.. now I know this may come as a shock to you, but you'd be amazed at the technology today :)

I didn't specify whether the "camera" was an actual camera or whether it was within a phone... so your attempt at looking intelligent has sadly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Whilst I would agree there is a sizable contingent of 'Anyone but Tesco's' in Ireland there is also a sizable contingent of 'Tesco's do nothing wrong' too.

Anyone arguing the point that it is fine for any supplier to label a product 'Buy me I'm Irish' which comes from Nottingham is on shaky ground. The OP was correct to point this out, I'll be checking these labels a little more in future and raising an issue if I feel it is incorrectly labelled as I would if it had the wrong weight or other descriptive.

For those who feel they need to protect the name of Tesco on boards I'd recommend they raise the issue with their manager next time they are in work first.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jhegarty wrote: »
    You are mistaking Ireland, for the Republic Of Ireland.

The first is an island on the west coast of Europe , the other is a country that doesn't use that whole area.

Well done tesco tbh.

The country is actually called "Ireland" or "Eire" in the first language.

The type of country is a Republic.

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those who feel they need to protect the name of Tesco on boards I'd recommend they raise the issue with their manager next time they are in work first.

LOL...Going by your sig, I'm sure you're not biased at all....
    It's amazing the amount of racist anti-"Brits" rubbish on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Voltex wrote: »
    Without trying to put too fine a point on it...your reasoned argument is total rubbish...but ill humour your opinion. Regardless of who placed the fliers...due diligence requires that adverts,promotions, and product descriptors are un-ambiguous, clear, and not likely to mislead, something Tesco haveclearly side stepped on.
    My "reasoned argument" was that it was likely to be a mistake, I think this is far more likely than your conspiracy theory of it being from instruction "at an executive level". I see stuff mislabelled all the time in many supermarkets, just mislabelling in general, e.g. a snickers price under a stack of mars bars. I have seen people knock off sales signs all the time, and place them back up themselves in the wrong place. Signs like these
    tesco-penny-off.jpg
    It's amazing the amount of racist anti-"Brits" rubbish on this forum.
    Yes, I hope their hats are made with an Irish brand of tinfoil.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, I hope their hats are made with an Irish brand of tinfoil.

And the blogs and websites in their sigs are on Irish sites and designed by Irish web designers....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you think that everyone sticking up for Tesco actually works for Tesco, perhaps we should have a poll? I only back Tesco when it gets mentioned in some ridiculous political rant purely because it's British.

I don't work for Tesco, I work for myself. My family did its last big shop in Dunnes, mainly thanks to the likes of Tesco, Aldi and Lidl making Dunnes more competitive.

You get annoyed with Tesco because of the way that they operate, but you shouldn't ignore the fact that all of the other super-markets are doing exactly the same, and they're quite happy that Tesco is singled out as the bad boy, because they can carry on in their own sweet way under the radar.

You get annoyed with Tesco because of the way that they operate, but you shouldn't ignore the fact that all of the other super-markets are doing exactly the same, and they're quite happy that Tesco is singled out as the bad boy, because they can carry on in their own sweet way under the radar.

Again back up your statement with some examples and stores. Very easy to say they are all doing it, when you don't provide any proof. The point is not that it is Tesco because they are a UK company, the point is it is false advertising. No one has yet provided any examples any other products and stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Again back up your statement with some examples and stores. Very easy to say they are all doing it, when you don't provide any proof. The point is not that it is Tesco because they are a UK company, the point is it is false advertising. No one has yet provided any examples any other products and stores.

When I've got a significant gap in my busy schedule, I'll comb the shelves of all of the supermarkets and get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does the sarcasm and derision of posters negate the fact that Tescos are mis-labelling products to deceive their customers?

69 wrote: »
    Does the sarcasm and derision racism and delusion of posters negate the fact that Tescos supermarkets are mis-labelling products to deceive their customers?

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you. I haven't two brain cells to rub together so I have to resort to this feeble attempt at a coherent arguement

Returned the favour, I'd hate to be in your debt. :D

Lets not get this binned all, the OP raised a correct issue of mislabelling, which Tesco has admitted to.

I don't shop there too often myself but this is something of legitimate concern and as stated earlier it's something I will take note of with any supplier from now on.

Suggest PM's are used for any personal issues.

Suggest we list any other examples from supermarkets here as a 'mislabel blacklist' else this may be time for the mods to close.

When I've got a significant gap in my busy schedule, I'll comb the shelves of all of the supermarkets and get back to you.

Last night he told me to go and get proof that other supermarkets are at this... 1 HOUR later he was asking me where it was... yeah hold on while I just run to the supermarket as soon as you click your fingers...

69 wrote: »
    Returned the favour, I'd hate to be in your debt. :D

Can you quote where I said I am in any debt?

Suggest PM's are used for any personal issues.

Suggest we list any other examples from supermarkets here as a 'mislabel blacklist' else this may be time for the mods to close.

When did you become a mod, or are you driving from the back seat? :rolleyes:

I can't say I have ever seen any other supermarket chain trying to pass off foreign goods as Irish goods except Tesco. Dunnes & Superquinn advertise their Irishness as part of their sales pitch, as is their right. Tesco can see the public resistance to their "foreigness" and are feigning an "Irishness" that they have no right to. People would shop there because they offer good value on many product lines but they are getting peoples' back up with their deceitful practices and it is very bad PR. People don't like lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

Lets get things in perspective here.
    Firstly I don't shop in Tescos and I hate them. I hated them when I lived in England and I hate them even more now I've moved home to Ireland, because of the way they treat their growers, their suppliers and every other poor sod that is part of their supply chain. For the record I now shop in Dunnes for bulk and Superquinn for the nice stuff.
    However, how can it be misleading (whatever your political persuausion) ? to label something as "Irish" and use the tricolour to represent it, when it was produced/packaged on the island of Ireland ? Green to represent Nationalist and Orange to represent unionist and white to represent peace between the two ! I live about 2 miles from the National Flag monument in Co Tipp.. come and read the blurb..
    I'd take far more exception if they labelled something British that was produced packaged anywhere within the 32 counties of Ireland.
    M&S do exactly the same, they just don't use the flag symbol ..

• Advertisement

anneboleyn wrote: »
    Lets get things in perspective here.
    Firstly I don't shop in Tescos and I hate them. I hated them when I lived in England and I hate them even more now I've moved home to Ireland, because of the way they treat their growers, their suppliers and every other poor sod that is part of their supply chain. For the record I now shop in Dunnes for bulk and Superquinn for the nice stuff.
    However, how can it be misleading (whatever your political persuausion) ? to label something as "Irish" and use the tricolour to represent it, when it was produced/packaged on the island of Ireland ? Green to represent Nationalist and Orange to represent unionist and white to represent peace between the two ! I live about 2 miles from the National Flag monument in Co Tipp.. come and read the blurb..
    I'd take far more exception if they labelled something British that was produced packaged anywhere within the 32 counties of Ireland.
    M&S do exactly the same, they just don't use the flag symbol ..

Issue is that the OP raised a case where the product came from Nottingham UK. Im sure 99% would agree with the above post.

Advertisement