Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Magenta wrote: »
    When did you become a mod, or are you driving from the back seat? :rolleyes:

Just following the forum rules. Lets not derail from the original issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ch750536 wrote: »
    Just following the forum rules. Lets not derail from the original issue.

I only take instruction from mods, not wannabes. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If it's all Irish as they claim let's see their explanation for price differences North and South?

69 wrote: »
    If it's all Irish as they claim let's see their explanation for price differences North and South?

Shipping Irish produce to the UK & back would be part of this. Maybe worthy of a thread in its own right somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Probably the same explanation that you'd get from Dunnes and SuperValu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Explanation?? are you serious, do you really need an explanation for this most fundamental of standard business practices?

This might come as a complete shock, but those degenerates in dunnes also have different prices for the same items north & south :eek:. So do M&S and McDonalds, its shocking what they can get away with.

http://www.loveirishfood.ie/about-us/criteria.aspx

Kinda agree. Basically if you can source from Ireland then you should. Oranges for example can't be sourced from Ireland but the manufacturing process can still occur here, making it an Irish product.

Well thought out criteria to be honest.

ch750536 wrote: »
    http://www.loveirishfood.ie/about-us/criteria.aspx

Kinda agree. Basically if you can source from Ireland then you should. Oranges for example can't be sourced from Ireland but the manufacturing process can still occur here, making it an Irish product.

Well thought out criteria to be honest.

Oranges are not manufactured, they are grown :rolleyes:
    Unless you are referring to them being packaged, which legally allows them to be called Irish. Why is it OK for oranges but not chicken/pastry products etc?

Magenta wrote: »
    Oranges are not manufactured, they are grown :rolleyes:
    Unless you are referring to them being packaged, which legally allows them to be called Irish. Why is it OK for oranges but not chicken/pastry products etc?

Like I said, Oranges can't be sourced from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It says "strict criteria" but this seems very vague
    2) Primary Ingredients must be sourced from Ireland where possible.

Some ingredients for Irish Food and Drink Brands are not grown in Ireland e.g. we do not grow tea leaves, oranges, cocoa beans, etc so these ingredients must be imported. A brand can still be eligible when its ingredients are imported as long as these ingredients cannot be sourced from ROI.

Some ingredients are only available seasonally in the ROI, or supplies may be limited and therefore it may be necessary to import replacement/additional supplies.

My uncle grows grapes in his garden. The fact is many companies cannot compete so simply have to find another business to get into. It is not viable to run a pineapple farm in Ireland, and I would have no sympathy for a farmer who did try and set one up and failed due to having to charge huge prices to cover his overheads. There should be no blackmailing guilt trip on people, making them feel they should buy Irish pineapples just to support a business which is clearly not viable. This "where possible" is too vague, its possible to source/grow many items here but we do not. But I suppose if it is viable there will probably be some Irish brand, but where do you draw the line, if my uncle began to sell his grapes then is it recognised as being "possible", and therefore no others could be branded Irish unless grown here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Lads..try not to get confused between country of maufacture...and country of origin. Items like oranges...meat....can have a country of origin and a country of manufacture.

the point of this thread is around the totally false advertising Tesco is using to draw in a certain type of customer.

Again I just visited Tesco in Celbridge....and found the following products with "Buy me Im Irish":
    • Tesco light choices Hot Cross Buns
    • Tesco all butter croissant
    • Ormo wheaten
    • all the rankin range...which clearly states made by Irwins Bakery Armagh
    • alot of the Hovis range.
    you can see the attached pictures

...then the funny thing is that none of the Brennans breads have these labeles!!!!!!!!!

To me..this is not just a mistake...its systemic!!! and no matter what way you look at it Tesco are telling lies!!

I suppose it's down to supply, it may be possible to grow the grapes but can you supply the demand?

Suppose the grapes were grown from a vine imported from Germany?

(Tongue in cheek but see the difference between 'English' wine & 'British' wine)

rubadub wrote: »
    It says "strict criteria" but this seems very vague

My uncle grows grapes in his garden. The fact is many companies cannot compete so simply have to find another business to get into. It is not viable to run a pineapple farm in Ireland, and I would have no sympathy for a farmer who did try and set one up and failed due to having to charge huge prices to cover his overheads. There should be no blackmailing guilt trip on people, making them feel they should buy Irish pineapples just to support a business which is clearly not viable. This "where possible" is too vague, its possible to source/grow many items here but we do not. But I suppose if it is viable there will probably be some Irish brand, but where do you draw the line, if my uncle began to sell his grapes then is it recognised as being "possible", and therefore no others could be branded Irish unless grown here too.
    Try telling that to the Swiss!! They susidise their dairy farming
    Have you ever tried buying Swiss dairy in Swiss??
    Its actually cheaper to go to Germany to buy swiss dairy products and to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

POSTERS - I have been following this thread, and I do not want to see any more instances of sarcastic comments, editing, rudeness, or backseat modding.

If you can't play nice, then you will be banned from the playground.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Again have you complained to the ASAI about this? If they are doing it on purpose they will be made stop. Posting on a forum will not save the rest of the country from being miss led. And Tesco won't care about a few posts on the net.

just did there...and added all the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Dymo wrote: »
    Exactly, everyone associates Lyons tea with Ireland but I don't recall seeing any tea trees in Ireland.

Lyons tea is made in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

And where in England precisely do they grow the tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

And where in England precisely do they grow the tea?

Should have said manufactured but you know what i meant.

On a related topic picked up a block of Wexford farmers cheese today with picture of Wexford farmer on front and uk stamp on the back. The Charleville and Mitchelstown were the same and the Avonmore had the Belgian stamp on the back.

It's all very misleading, most people havn't a clue where they're food comes from. Theres very little manufactured in Ireland anymore due to the high costs involved

Also ive seen Northern Irish Chicken in Dunnes labeled as Irish and im pretty sure the tricolor was on it but will check next time im in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

On a related topic picked up a block of Wexford farmers cheese today with picture of Wexford farmer on front and uk stamp on the back. The Charleville and Mitchelstown were the same and the Avonmore had the Belgian stamp on the back.

It's all very misleading, most people havn't a clue where they're food comes from. Theres very little manufactured in Ireland anymore due to the high costs involved

Also ive seen Northern Irish Chicken in Dunnes labeled as Irish and im pretty sure the tricolor was on it but will check next time im in

I don't know about the others but I do know that Wexford Cheese is made in Wexford, however as it is sold by Tesco and other supermarkets in the UK, it is sometimes packaged there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

The reason given for the Cheese is, the cheese is made in Ireland and then sent to the Uk for packing. If you pack any food product the law says it must carry the plant number of the cutting/packing plant. I think in fairness Cheese claiming to be Irish with a uk plant number is more than likely legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So who here is speaking with Joe Duffy at the moment ? Sounds like it's the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Been talked about now on Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

busman wrote: »

And they have someone from Tesco on now..

busman wrote: »

You beat me too it...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Jip wrote: »

Same products mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sounds like a whole lotta something over nothing, signs were put up at one stage, products removed from the shelf/shifted elsewhere, little sign things left behind, probably just down to poor management or a lazy git not removing the sign.

I certainly hope these people who are going on about the chicken never buy anything from the hot bar in Dunnes, last time I checked none of it is sourced from the republic.

Jip wrote: »

ooh I'm listening to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If it was intentional on Tesco's part, I'm pretty sure that they would have left no evidence of the dirty doings. They didn't get where they are by being thick.:eek:

No, they got where they are through questionable practice and fooling customers. :eek:

• Advertisement

I'll pop into my local tecso and see if the same products are listed as 'buy me I'm Irish', if so then we know its not a one off.

Advertisement