Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jip wrote: »
    Sounds like a whole lotta something over nothing, signs were put up at one stage, products removed from the shelf/shifted elsewhere, little sign things left behind, probably just down to poor management or a lazy git not removing the sign.

Here, Here! A thread about nothing. Big deal. Anyway, I wonder how many people will buy something with the Tri-colour over a similar product that's cheaper, tastier, or better quality.
    All must be very well in the world if we're down to these concerns!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

69 wrote: »
    And where in England precisely do they grow the tea?

Cornwall

ch750536 wrote: »
    I'll pop into my local tecso and see if the same products are listed as 'buy me I'm Irish', if so then we know its not a one off.

Just checked, as I'm in one of the Dundalk centres at the moment, and I can't see any of the items mentioned with a "buy me I'm Irish". Actually very few products with the flag at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

So who here is speaking with Joe Duffy at the moment ? Sounds like it's the OP.

maybe!
    Every time a tesco rep is one the radio he uses the same tactics of annoucing tescos value to the irish food manufactuering sector in exports blah blah blah...which was not the point...the point was the mis labeling of British products as Buy Me Im Irish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Which is it then, mis labeling or fraud ? It appears to me that everything is above board based on EU and bord bia rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

I certainly hope these people who are going on about the chicken never buy anything from the hot bar in Dunnes, last time I checked none of it is sourced from the republic.

That may be true but its not misleadingly labelled Irish when it probably comes from Thailand or somewhere. The point here is that someone that genuinely believes they are buying chicken from the Republic of Ireland are being misled into buying chicken from Northern Ireland or the UK. That is wrong no matter what slant someone tries to put on it

It may be 'morally' wrong, but again this has been done for years and years. I think Ireland in fact tried to get this changed at EU level but didn't manage it so it will continue on, no point in whinging to Tesco about it, it's your MEP people want to be harassing.

Here's a 4 year old article about it
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2006/0219/business/govt-urged-to-change-food-labelling-laws-245362.html

Just an update....Tesco have removed nearly all the Buy Me Im Irish labels from the UK produced product I highlighted. I said nearly, because they have left behind the sandwich baps that are produced in N.I.

...and funny thing this evening was that as I was looking at the products, I noticed that they had burger buns for sale BB 22.02.10 and covered in blue mould.

Have to say...the aisle looks very bare this evening.

...I must be a supermarkets nightmare.....I have also spotted a labeling issue in Aldi and one in Spar!!

Voltex wrote: »
    ...I must be a supermarkets nightmare.....I have also spotted a labeling issue in Aldi and one in Spar!!

I just don't know how you have time to look at these things. We rush through the shopping. Buy what we want and need, and get out of there. Value for money and products we like are about our only concerns.;)

• Advertisement

I'd be more surprised if you didn't find a labelling issue in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheBlackBuck

I just don't know how you have time to look at these things. We rush trough the shopping. Buy what we want and need, and get out of there. Value for money and products we like are about our only concerns.;)

A lot of people rush through their shopping which is why it is important that signs are accurate and not misleading. I always tried to buy (if there wasn't too much of a price difference) the "buy me I'm Irish" labelled foods. Until I read this thread I assumed this meant they were produced in the Republic of Ireland because they feature the official flag of the Republic of Ireland. If they wanted to incorporate the whole island of Ireland they could have used a shamrock or something equally as generic.

So I agree with the OP. It is misleading in the way it's implemented at the moment but I like the idea and I hope they change it to only include products that are made here in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I noticed that they had burger buns for sale BB 22.02.10 and covered in blue mould.

It must have been UK mould as it was blue. Was there a "mould country of origin" sign?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It must have been UK mould as it was blue. Was there a "mould country of origin" sign?:D

If there was they would have got it 'wrong' to mislead the consumer.

A lot of people rush through their shopping which is why it is important that signs are accurate and not misleading..
    But you missed my point. Most people buy what they want and need irrespective of what label is on the shelf. If my family like Old Monty Marmalade then I buy it even if the cheaper Peig Irish Marmalade is labeled "Buy me I'm Irish".
    I personally, and I stress personally so don't attack my own beliefs, feel the whole complaint is a load of petty nonsense. But that's just my tuppence worth.

But you missed my point. Most people buy what they want and need irrespective of what label is on the shelf. If my family like Old Monty Marmalade then I buy it even if the cheaper Peig Irish Marmalade is labeled "Buy me I'm Irish".
    I personally, and I stress personally so don't attack my own beliefs, feel the whole complaint is a load of petty nonsense. But that's just my tuppence worth.

I understand what your saying..but the butt of the issue is that Tesco has mis labeled product that had been produced in Northern Ireland or mainland UK as being manufactured in Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I understand what your saying..but the butt of the issue is that Tesco has mis labeled product that had been produced in Northern Ireland or mainland UK as being manufactured in Republic of Ireland.

I'm not being smart, but to be honest a lot of people have more important things to worry about.

+1

All must be very sweet in life if labeling in Tesco is all there is to worry about. I can't get over how all consuming this seems to be for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

+1

All must be very sweet in life if labeling in Tesco is all there is to worry about. I can't get over how all consuming this seems to be for some.
    this attitude is turning people off shopping in tescos as they see their response to customers as being flippant and uncaring

Magenta wrote: »
    I'm not being smart, but to be honest a lot of people have more important things to worry about.
    +1

Grrrr... these kind of posts annoy me! What have these added to the discussion apart from belittling someone's opinion? Just because it's not the most important thing in everyones life doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. If you take all the trivial matters out of Boards it would be a lot smaller place!

Anyway, back on topic.... imagine a leg of lamb from a farm in Yorkshire, labelled as "Buy me, I'm British" but with a picture of a Welsh flag on it. Surely that would be construed as misleading? And to me, it's the same as what Tesco is doing with its "Buy me, I'm Irish" campaign.

• Advertisement

Foggy Lad, I'm expressing my attitude to the issue not that of Tesco, so I don't see the relevance of your comment.

BTW:Who is it turning off shopping in TESCO? Do you think that many people care? The busiest 2 stores in this town at present happen to be both Tesco because they offer the better value at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It is misleading because the production of said product is outsourced, hence contributing the the economy of a country that is not the republic of Ireland. It's nothing to do with nationalism, unless I have misunderstood and OP this is what bothered you about this initially? I personally until now assumed that the 'made in Ireland' scheme of Tesco's was exactly that - similar to our 'guaranteed Irish' product scheme initiated in the 80's. I will know now not to bother buying this stuff. It's no secret that Tesco has been stocking less genuinely Irish products instore of late, but it does not prevent people shopping there because it is convenient and has good prices. They can afford to give us good prices because we all keep shopping there.
    For Irish product availability on a greater scale, Superquinn and in fact LIDL (esp for fruit and veg) are good bets.

...imagine a leg of lamb from a farm in Yorkshire, labelled as "Buy me, I'm British" but with a picture of a Welsh flag on it. Surely that would be construed as misleading? And to me, it's the same as what Tesco is doing with its "Buy me, I'm Irish" campaign.

Is there not a difference in that firstly Wales is part of Britain as is Yorkshire and that the equivalent here would be a Munster Flag on a product made in Donegal?:)

Is there not a difference in that firstly Wales is part of Britain as is Yorkshire and that the equivalent here would be a Munster Flag on a product made in Donegal?:)

Whatever works for you! I think that's what I was trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

I have seen this on flag posted on Scottish smoked salmon, and even after I alerted their office the still continued to display it for several weeks. Same with Cornish pastries (Which were produced in the UK before you ask).

Basically the do not give a toss, it is a marketing campaign, helps their sales. I got a similar reply to the original poster, however I am sad to say it was not followed up with action, even though the store was in the same building as their head office.

I find it ironic that they go to the bother of putting up all these signs and then go out of their way to remove Irish products from the shelves unless the producers pay their hello money. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0215/1224264468799.html
    It is not about doing anything for the consumer or Irish jobs for that matter. It is what ever will make them the most profit, to hell with morals.

By the way Sarmeen, I am one of the shoppers who has turned off buying in Tesco, where as in the past I may have gone to it as a first port of call, now I will only go if I cannot find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Foggy Lad, I'm expressing my attitude to the issue not that of Tesco, so I don't see the relevance of your comment.

BTW:Who is it turning off shopping in TESCO? Do you think that many people care? The busiest 2 stores in this town at present happen to be both Tesco because they offer the better value at the moment.

I assume you have facts to back up that statement about the 2 busiest stores in town? But that is not the point. I, like many other people like to buy Irish when possible as it promotes and creates jobs in our economy, which can do with all the help it can get at the moment. If it is not an issue for you fine. But why do you think Tesco would go to the bother and expense of a campaign like this, if they thought people did not care. They are doing it because a lot of consumers like to buy Irish, and they are being deceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect that some people in the UK are wondering why they are buying Irish Cheddar, when in fact Cheddar is in Somerset, England.

No wonder there's confusion with all this carry-on:eek:

Went into a Tesco locally just now :rolleyes: , lots of Irish Flags around, checked a few. Most were correct (8 out of 10) but there were 2 that seemed to be wrong. Raised it as an issue with their customer services desk, they're looking into it.

20% of the products mis-labelled, I'd say thats an issue.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I expect that some people in the UK are wondering why they are buying Irish Cheddar, when in fact Cheddar is in Somerset, England.

No wonder there's confusion with all this carry-on:eek:

'Cheddaring' is like 'Burtonisation', simply a process that results in a cheddar, you can do it in your own home if you like.

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    'Cheddaring' is like 'Burtonisation', simply a process that results in a cheddar, you can do it in your own home if you like.

I think ejmaztec was just joking! :P

Advertisement