Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Fraudulent advertising

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ch750536 wrote: »
    'Cheddaring' is like 'Burtonisation', simply a process that results in a cheddar, you can do it in your own home if you like.
    I think ejmaztec was just joking! :P

It would only take some Cheddar fundamentalists to take their case to the barking mad EU beaurocrats to remove the humour from it. Didn't they have the same kind of row over where Pontefract cakes could me made and still retain the name Pontefract?

If the truth be known, we probably don't know where any of stuff that we buy comes from.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Voltex wrote: »
    Im sure most of us are aware of the Tesco "Buy me I'm Irish" promotion.
    Basically ther pick out a number of products that they claim are Irish produced and tag them with this label at shelf level with a nice tri-colour giving the impression they product is from the irish republic.

Having taken a closer look at some of thier products I discoverd an error in a particluar store where some products produced in Northern Ireland were tagged with the BuyMe I'm Irish promo. I sent a mail to the Tesco customer service centre and the reply I got is listed below.

to my shock I dicovered whats described in my proceeding mail this evening.
    What is amounts to is nothing short of a fraud and deception.

DFM
    i have only ever walked around tesco, I buy from my local butcher and shop, as i want to keep the bit of cash i have in this country
    trick question
    would you buy
    packed irish meat
    or irish packed meat
    there is a huge difference in those two sentences, yet they may seem the same.
    just watch in future and you will see what i am saying

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Look simple as this if you want to buy Irish Products don't shop in a non Irish Store.

Is it that difficult?
    Whining about a UK company not having Irish Brands? shop in local Irish owned shop if you want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

mayordenis wrote: »
    Whining about a UK company not having Irish Brands? shop in local Irish owned shop if you want that.

Nope, not the issue here. Falsely labelled products is the issue. Any supermarket should not be doing it, regardless of what they are misleading you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Look simple as this if you want to buy Irish Products don't shop in a non Irish Store.
    :confused: I cannot think of a single Irish supermarket which only stocks Irish goods.
    ch750536 wrote: »
    Nope, not the issue here. Falsely labelled products is the issue.
    Yes, to be precise in this case it is foods which are on a shelf with a logo alongside it inferring it is Irish, i.e. it is not like there is incorrect information on the actual packet, like many others here I think it is a simple mistake, which is extremely common in all supermarkets (yes, even Irish owned ones :eek:).

If you want to buy Irish products, read the small print on the actual packet and be sure you understand it. I find it strange so many people apparently believe marketing crap and do not look for the real meaning, and I think it even stranger that would trust the likes of these movable signs that could have been put there by anybody. For all I know some local young lad might have seen this thread and be moving the signs around himself to get a rise out of the OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

rubadub wrote: »
    :confused: I cannot think of a single Irish supermarket which only stocks Irish goods.

Yes, to be precise in this case it is foods which are on a shelf with a logo alongside it inferring it is Irish, i.e. it is not like there is incorrect information on the actual packet, like many others here I think it is a simple mistake, which is extremely common in all supermarkets (yes, even Irish owned ones :eek:).

If you want to buy Irish products, read the small print on the actual packet and be sure you understand it. I find it strange so many people apparently believe marketing crap and do not look for the real meaning, and I think it even stranger that would trust the likes of these movable signs that could have been put there by anybody. For all I know some local young lad might have seen this thread and be moving the signs around himself to get a rise out of the OP!

Im sorry...but in this day and age where the consumer is bombarded with images and info regading what and when to buy any article, there is a legal, if not moral responsibilty on the seller to ensure that the information they are supplying about any or all products...is true...unambigous..and not likely to mislead. Ignorance is never a mitigation from these responsibilties. If it was a case of some random shopper placing these signs any where they liked...well it is the responsibilty of the shop to ensure this cant happen...or that checks are done to correct any problem. This didnt happen in the case I highlighted since it was over 3 stores the same issue...thats why I think this was systamatic on the part of Tesco.

By the way...Tesco in Celbridge have removed every "Buy Me, Im Irish" sign from its store....theres not a single one left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Is it that difficult?

As rubadub says, NO Irish owned store will have only 100% Irish produced products. They all carry brands from the UK and other countries.

Magenta wrote: »
    As rubadub says, NO Irish owned store will have only 100% Irish produced products. They all carry brands from the UK and other countries.
    ...but what has that to do with false claims on products?
    I have no problem at all with products produced in the UK...or anywhere else for that matter....just that they are sold in a fair manner.

Has anyone noticed that Bavaria Beer musta fallen foul of Tesco?
    They seem to have delisted them......probably the fastest growing brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have no problem at all with products produced in the UK...or anywhere else for that matter....just that they are sold in a fair manner.

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the person I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

goat2 wrote: »
    i have only ever walked around tesco, I buy from my local butcher and shop, as i want to keep the bit of cash i have in this country
    trick question
    would you buy
    packed irish meat
    or irish packed meat
    there is a huge difference in those two sentences, yet they may seem the same.
    just watch in future and you will see what i am saying

My answer is this I went to use the toilets in Tesco - they were disgusting (so I had to hold it in). Anyway my mum has a motto - which is this "If somebody can't keep their toilet clean what hope is there for their Kitchen" So I buy from a local butchers too

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed that Bavaria Beer musta fallen foul of Tesco?
    They seem to have delisted them......probably the fastest growing brand.

They're still selling it, aren't they?:confused:

2 of the tescos my way dont have them...and the shelf labels are gone...usually a dead give away that they have delisted them...but I could be wrong.

They are always delisting stuff.

2 of the tescos my way dont have them...and the shelf labels are gone...usually a dead give away that they have delisted them...but I could be wrong.

They are always delisting stuff.

On a Google, I saw mention that some of Tesco's own-label beer is actually Bavaria in disguise, but being a non-drinker, I've no reason to walk down the booze aisle for a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about Irish goods in a UK store.

The profits are going to Tesco regardless of where the products come from.

because there is a cohort of irish shoppers that wnat to spend their monies on products produced in Ireland...I know that...you know and Tesco dam well knows that. Hence the reason for the "buy me Im Irish" campaign. But...on closer inspection the products werent irish at all.

This thread is not about who Tesco are..or where they are from...its about the legality..and ethics of them telling total lies.

By the way....my exposure of this on Liveline is mentioned in this evenings Hearld!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Must be a slow newsweek. Seriously, so some goods are rebranded.

I wouldn't shop in Tesco anyway. They have been screwing over Irish suppliers for years.

Advertisement