Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mechanic in balbriggan or skerries

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Need a small bit of work don't and don't fancy paying garage labour rates, Does anyone know anyone realiable and value for money?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I use Coke McLean in Skerries. A great mechanic & very reasonable. His garage is in the lane opposite the Little Theatre near the Harps GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Coke is very reasonable alright. Last time I used him though he didn't change the oil filter. Said it was still grand (it was not, though I couldn't say that to him 'cos my father in law was dropping the car down / picking it up for me while I was at work).

I have to say that was a one off, and he was up front about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

do any of you lads have a mobile number for coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

do any of you lads have a mobile number for coke?

You really need to catch him at the workshop. He's hard to get on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Does anyone know if he's on holidays or something at the moment.
    I've been down to the garage a couple of times this week and there's no sign of him.The
    Shop in all locked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I used Balbriggan Service Centre a couple of times and always found them grand

http://www.balbriggantyres.ie/

ocj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if he's on holidays or something at the moment.
    I've been down to the garage a couple of times this week and there's no sign of him.The
    Shop in all locked up

I know this is a major bump, but it is relevant. Does anyone know if Coke is still working? We tried him a few times a couple of weeks ago before giving up and having a less than excellent time with JH Autos (who I will never use again). Our car needs the timing belt done sooner rather than later. If he's not still working I'll need to look around for another mechanic.

Khannie wrote: »
    I know this is a major bump, but it is relevant. Does anyone know if Coke is still working? We tried him a few times a couple of weeks ago before giving up and having a less than excellent time with JH Autos (who I will never use again). Our car needs the timing belt done sooner rather than later. If he's not still working I'll need to look around for another mechanic.

Bring it to Glen Tyres in balbriggan, Those lads are very reasonable and quick. You can get them on 01 8412099 you might have to try a few times as they are not great at answering their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Unfortunately, although Coke is good and cheap, that is the major issue. He is the only one there and is away from the garage a lot oof the time. Whether he is off getting parts or what I dont know.

So he is still working as far as you know? I might try again if so.

• Advertisement

I actually work with his wife. I went to ask her there and see she is out of the office for most of June. Must be gone off on a nice holiday ;)

Nice one. :) Thanks. I'll hang on 'til they're back so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

sgarvan wrote: »
    I used Balbriggan Service Centre a couple of times and always found them grand

http://www.balbriggantyres.ie/

I range these guys and got a quote which I didn't think was too bad.
    Bring it to Glen Tyres in balbriggan, Those lads are very reasonable and quick. You can get them on 01 8412099 you might have to try a few times as they are not great at answering their phone.

I tried ringing these guys a few times but had no luck getting through.

So does anyone have a number for anyone else in the Balbriggan/Skerries area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

AC Auto's Balbriggan, two reliable guy's. There in one of the units on the Balbriggan inner ring road, the one after AIB on the right if your coming from the church. As you drive in they're in the first unit on the right.

Location 24 balbriggan business park, Balbriggan, Ireland
    Hours Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
    Sat: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm

Parking Parking Lot
    Email acautos2011@gmail.com
    Phone 0879509125

Number above is Alan's or ring Bush (yes his name is Bush) on 087917894

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Octopus wrote: »
    AC Auto's Balbriggan, two reliable guy's. There in one of the units on the Balbriggan inner ring road, the one after AIB on the right if your coming from the church. As you drive in they're in the first unit on the right.

Location 24 balbriggan business park, Balbriggan, Ireland
    Hours Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
    Sat: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm

Parking Parking Lot
    Email acautos2011@gmail.com
    Phone 0879509125

Number above is Alan's or ring Bush (yes his name is Bush) on 087917894

Can't go wrong with bush. Sound as a bell. Mad as a bag of spanners too, but only in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Would any of those lads (preferably in Balbriggan) be able to fix a de-mister that just suddenly stopped working and a window washer that doesn't work (stopped working after the major freeze in Jan)??

Would any of those lads (preferably in Balbriggan) be able to fix a de-mister that just suddenly stopped working and a window washer that doesn't work (stopped working after the major freeze in Jan)??

I'd be VERY worried if they couldn't..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Dunno bout the demister but the washer is probably just dirt and they just stick an air hose on it to blow out any crap thats deposited in the workings
    Not a big job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bustertypsy

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with bush. Sound as a bell. Mad as a bag of spanners too, but only in a good way.

I have used AC Autos for the last year and have had many dealings with Alan and Bush.These boys are the best around.They have great facilities and are very accommodating.They will go out of their way to get you back on the road(or keep you there) I can't praise them or recommend them enough.
    Best part is they are also very reasonable,price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bustertypsy

Well the boys saved me again.Clutch went on my car and the boys worked round the clock to get me back in business.Thanks again to Alan and Bush,another top notch job and great service and value.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 socialrob

I wouldnt pay a whole lot of attension to this khannie post above i have used JH Autos in skerries for nearly 6 years now and never had any problems. I think most people in skerries & lusk will say the same thing ? Car goes in, car gets fixed & i pay my bill ? Never had anything they couldnt sort out so far so ? Fingers crossed :)

Coke is grand as well he i never had any problems here either.
    I used Coke for years also but moved on when my cars got a bit newer he hadnt got the computers at the time so i kept having to go to main dealers for lights on dash etc. He is a good job to but i have also found him hard to get a hold of in the past its because he works alone so is always in & out for parts alot so just wait at his garage and he pops up regular.

Think Coke & JH Autos are the only skerries garages these days and both are fine for work for anyone looking work done, different pricing etc as there very differnt garages but fine for anyone wanting to use a local regulary and get a relationship going with a garage they want to trust with there car. Both seem to be really busy these days i drove by both recently and they looked packed.

Boylans where there also but have closed down i while back for whatever reasons. There are a couple of garden shed mechanics around also dropping little paper flyers in the door etc with there numbers and cheap €60 service prices etc but avoid these if you value your car my next door neighbours blew up after one. Hope this helps anyone looking a skerries mechanics or garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

socialrob wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay a whole lot of attension to this khannie post above i have used JH Autos in skerries for nearly 6 years now and never had any problems. I think most people in skerries & lusk will say the same thing ? Car goes in, car gets fixed & i pay my bill ? Never had anything they couldnt sort out so far so ? Fingers crossed :)

Coke is grand as well he i never had any problems here either.
    I used Coke for years also but moved on when my cars got a bit newer he hadnt got the computers at the time so i kept having to go to main dealers for lights on dash etc. He is a good job to but i have also found him hard to get a hold of in the past its because he works alone so is always in & out for parts alot so just wait at his garage and he pops up regular.

Think Coke & JH Autos are the only skerries garages these days and both are fine for work for anyone looking work done, different pricing etc as there very differnt garages but fine for anyone wanting to use a local regulary and get a relationship going with a garage they want to trust with there car. Both seem to be really busy these days i drove by both recently and they looked packed.

Boylans where there also but have closed down i while back for whatever reasons. There are a couple of garden shed mechanics around also dropping little paper flyers in the door etc with there numbers and cheap €60 service prices etc but avoid these if you value your car my next door neighbours blew up after one. Hope this helps anyone looking a skerries mechanics or garages.

No offence but I'd take the postings of a well respected member who's been on here for donkey years over someone who has just joined and who's first post is one debunking well respected members post.

As well as that, Boylans is not closed, just changed hands. May be trading under another name, but still the same location and services

PaulD77 wrote: »
    As well as that, Boylans is not closed, just changed hands. May be trading under another name, but still the same location and services

Im afraid that was about a year ago it has been closed since ? I live in skerries & its the new fire station..... they are moving out of the bottom of the town and have taken it on a long lease from boylans, also it never changed hands the owners rented it out for 2 yrs thats why it remained the boylans name over the door.;)

No offence but I'd take the postings of a well respected member who's been on here for donkey years over someone who has just joined and who's first post is one debunking well respected members post.

No offense taken at all, and i certainally am not debunking any member but i fail to see how the amount of time spent on a pc makes someones opinion any more important than anyone elses ?

If the member had a problem with a company he should just take it up with the company wouldnt you say ? I always trust the job & people not internets posts anyway and all you have to do is see how busy a company is to know if they are any good and Coke & JH Autos seem to be crazy busy.

Anyway he is the only negative post about JH Autos so i think ill trust my 6 yrs dealing with them and the 4 years with Coke along with the other members of boards with nothing negative to say and stick with them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SuzieQ1979

Hi all :D new here and hope i get some help ! Someone crashed into me and my insurance company is trying to say i have to go where they say ? Surely this is rubbish as there trying to send my car to dublin ?

I am living in skerries so the above skerries garages would be ideal ( jhautos or coke ) for me as there close and anyone i have asked has said these 2 garages so they must be good ?

The posts from socialrob are bang on, as boylans is gone for ages as i live on the road and it will be the new firestaion thats why all the building ( cant wait for the noise ):eek:, so PaulD77 :confused: will have to get a new garage im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

SuzieQ1979 wrote: »
    Hi all :D new here and hope i get some help ! Someone crashed into me and my insurance company is trying to say i have to go where they say ? Surely this is rubbish as there trying to send my car to dublin ?

I am living in skerries so the above skerries garages would be ideal ( jhautos or coke ) for me as there close and anyone i have asked has said these 2 garages so they must be good ?

The posts from socialrob are bang on, as boylans is gone for ages as i live on the road and it will be the new firestaion thats why all the building ( cant wait for the noise ):eek:, so PaulD77 :confused: will have to get a new garage im afraid.

Sorry to hear about your crash.
    Are you claiming from the person who hit you? If so your insurance shouldn't be making demands of you?
    Are you claiming from your own insurance? Without knowing the specifics of your policy, all I have seen before is a lower excess if you use a preferred garage of the insurance, never that you must use a specific one.
    It's your car and if you so wish you can keep the money and not repair the car, the point of it is that you end up in a position not worse than before the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Most if not all of the Insc. Co's have approved Garages where they will want you to have the repairs done,
    These Garages have been inspected and approved and have usually the most up to date equipment.
    It's fair to say also that the Insurance Co will be dictating price structure for repairs.

A garage near to me installed second hand equipment, for spraying, and was turned down by all of the Insc. Co's for work.

Although its your Insurance Policy, they are paying and so will try to ensure you use an approved garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SuzieQ1979

Hi again,

Thanks for the responces to my insurance problem. I spoke to a friend of mine who works for an insurance company ( i wont name ) and she was telling me i can take my car where ever i want to for repairs !

It turns out these so called approved repair centres can be a garden shed if they are cheap enough ? They apply to insurance companies to do repairs for they and all thats involved is that they come in on labour rates under the insurance companies marker.

So your insurance company is looking after themselves not the insured, as i brought it up to coke in skerries who doesnt do crash work so i then called into jhautos who confirmed i can take anywhere and said that the 2 top repair places in the area are not approved centres according to insurance companies just because they wont do cheap work or labour rates.

JH autos printed me out the euro law about being allowed bring your car for repair anywhere along with being allowed service your car anywhere even when new ! Couldnt believe this as the main dealer said they cancel warrenty if not serviced with them.....eh here it is in black & white law you con artist. So angry paying min of 240 a service to them when it would only be max 170 for same invoice.:eek::mad:

Having the car towed to jhautos in skerries for the repairs as they where great help and very nice to me explaining all i needed to no in laymans terms as cars lingo is way over my head:confused:. Here is there details for anyone in the area as they are great help. www.jhautos.ie & 01-8438225.

Oh and martinn123 thanks for the advice jhautos confirmed use of second hand parts is sub standard work & insurance wont ever cover that & most & any good garage wont fit used parts ever.:)

• Advertisement

socialrob wrote: »
    Im afraid that was about a year ago it has been closed since ? I live in skerries & its the new fire station..... they are moving out of the bottom of the town and have taken it on a long lease from boylans, also it never changed hands the owners rented it out for 2 yrs thats why it remained the boylans name over the door.;)

I only live 2 mins away from it and have obviously been passing with my eyes closed for the last few months. Walked past the other day to see it was indeed closed and being done up, so I take it back.

I have used a different mechanic in the last 2 years, probably why I hadn't realized it was closed either!

Advertisement