Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gymnastic classes for boys in Kildare area???

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

My 3 1/2 year old loves tumbling and jumping. He's really into learning how to do somersaults and headstands too! Is there anywhere where boys can take gymnastics classes? I wouldn't want him to feel out of place if there are a lot of girls. I'm in Newbridge BTW.

PS: I'm from the USA and it's quite ok for boys to do gymnastics. Glee fans anyone? However, I've never seen any kind of kids gymnastics classes advertised here ;(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aineoco

There are gymnastics classes for kids, both buys and girls, in Naas. Naas Panthers is the club but not sure of contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

Thanks! Will look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

My 3 1/2 year old loves tumbling and jumping. He's really into learning how to do somersaults and headstands too! Is there anywhere where boys can take gymnastics classes? I wouldn't want him to feel out of place if there are a lot of girls. I'm in Newbridge BTW.

PS: I'm from the USA and it's quite ok for boys to do gymnastics. Glee fans anyone? However, I've never seen any kind of kids gymnastics classes advertised here ;(

Link: http://stbrigidsnewbridge.com/news/category/gymnastics/

My son was active in Gymnastics for 6+ years and excelled under the tution of Leonard who trains the children for St Brigids in Newbridge / community games. I dont have a number for him but if you ring one of the community games people: link:http://stbrigidsnewbridge.com/news/2007/10/04/teresa-harrison/
    I am sure they would be more than happy to help you. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

I would have never known about these resources if not for boards.ie. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pollypierce

Hi Newbridgemom!
    L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Link: http://stbrigidsnewbridge.com/news/category/gymnastics/

My son was active in Gymnastics for 6+ years and excelled under the tution of Leonard who trains the children for St Brigids in Newbridge / community games. I dont have a number for him but if you ring one of the community games people: link:http://stbrigidsnewbridge.com/news/2007/10/04/teresa-harrison/
    I am sure they would be more than happy to help you. Good luck

I know Leonard very well through Curragh Nomads Gymnastics Club in Newbridge & LSG (Leonards School of Gymnastics) you can check us out on our websites.

There are classes being held on Thursday evenings 4-5 & 5-6 and Saturday mornings 10-11 at the Open Arms Community Church in the Newbridge Industrial Estate behind Newbridge Silver. PM me if you would like more info, ie Leonard's number!

Just to reassure you about boys doing gymnastics, my guy's been doing them since he was eight(?) with Leonard. He took the bronze medal at the Mens National Championships in 2008 along with six other boys who were coached by Leonard!

Leonard's great, he loves the sport and he loves the interaction with the kids. He gets results, whether it's at competition level or recreational, and he's got some great young coaches training under him. I couldn't recommend him more highly.

I hope this helps!

Polly:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Just came across this thread and wanted to let you know you are getting your son into the best sport ever!

I did it for 10 years from 7-17 and in terms of fitness, flexibility, strength, and balance when I was at my peak, I was able to wipe the floor with any GAA, soccer player or swimmer.

It is excellent, also along with having fun try to get him competitive, we need some future elite gymnasts to help progress the sport in Ireland!

Hope he has fun!

Well said!
    Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and wanted to let you know you are getting your son into the best sport ever!

I did it for 10 years from 7-17 and in terms of fitness, flexibility, strength, and balance when I was at my peak, I was able to wipe the floor with any GAA, soccer player or swimmer.

It is excellent, also along with having fun try to get him competitive, we need some future elite gymnasts to help progress the sport in Ireland!

Hope he has fun!

Just to let you know that Leonard's gymnasts brought home a total of 11 medals at the 2010 Community Games National Finals.This says a lot about the children, their dedication to the sport, their parents dedication and that of their coaches and Leonard's dedication to the kids...

They are now training at the Community Church of The Open Arms, Newbridge Industrial Estate on Thursday afternoon/evenings, Friday evenings and Saturday mornings.

Check them out here and here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Leonard has a great reputation in the town but it is not always fully warranted. He has a few different locations. My kids went to one in Scoil Mhuire and he was not there. It was very badly run with a few young girls in charge. Kids knew nothing in the end. It was a poor child minding class.

There were a few Polish kids there at the start but they disappeared soon after and it never tweaked with me until I talked to one of their parents during the summer. He told me they had seen it was poor and pulled their kids en masse out of the class.

Look and see where the Polish are sending their kids and follow them. If Leonard is not present in the class, avoid it.

EDIT: Not sure how I opened an old thread. Pretty sure it was high on the forum list when I clicked. Posts missing ??

Advertisement