Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass Upgrade Reveals All

• 26-02-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for a second opinion on this.

I recently upgraded my old Yamaha RBX 270 with a nice new Basslines SPB-1. Before I couldn't hear any issues because of the muddiness of the original pickup. Now I can make out a bit of a difference in the quality of response between the strings. The sound from the D and G seem stronger than the E and A and the E string in particular has some weird overtone things going on. I heard that acoustically before (with other strings too) but its only become noticeable plugged in now since the upgrade.

Its very unlikely to be the new pickup since I noticed the issue acoustically before. Its not the nut since it happens on fretted notes too. So its down to the bridge and body/neck. The body is very light. They say its alder and alder isn't exactly heavy, but it must be the cheapest alder imaginable if it is, its really light. If I had to guess I'd have said agathis or basswood. The neck is your usual maple/rosewood affair, seems to react to tension normally and all that so I don't think its the neck. The bridge is pretty thin but looks well designed, its functional but I guess my problem with the bass goes further than functional.

So I'm left wondering should I upgrade the body or the bridge or both, but also if I've overlooked anything. Just looking for a second opinion before I head off buying a big chunk of hardwood.

Heres a little audio file that might help explain things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Could it be the strings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

If you're looking at changing the body you're quicky heading for a Trigger's Brush situation and would problably be better of trading up completely :)

(For those that don't remember Trigger or his brush:
    http://en.allexperts.com/e/t/tr/trigger_(only_fools_and_horses).htm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Could it be the strings?

Probably not, I heard the problem acoustically before with other strings. Its just since I put in the new pickup that I can actually hear it plugged in.

I guess I could get something better for my P-bass sound, but I like the neck. Hmm.. I'll have to spend more time thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I can't really notice anything wrong in the soundclip. Maybe the pickup is closer to the strings on one side or the other?

Parsley wrote: »
    I can't really notice anything wrong in the soundclip. Maybe the pickup is closer to the strings on one side or the other?

I feel like its missing that strong bass tone I'd be hoping for. Yea I've adjusted the pickup heights a fair bit, its adjusted to favor the bass in that clip.

• Advertisement

eoin5 wrote: »
    I feel like its missing that strong bass tone I'd be hoping for. Yea I've adjusted the pickup heights a fair bit, its adjusted to favor the bass in that clip.

having the string too close to the pickup doesn't necessarily mean it'll be louder/clearer... having it too close can affect the tone negatively. the magnetic pull of the pickup will dampen the vibration of the string.

Parsley wrote: »
    having the string too close to the pickup doesn't necessarily mean it'll be louder/clearer... having it too close can affect the tone negatively. the magnetic pull of the pickup will dampen the vibration of the string.

Yea the tone goes bizarre when you do that.

eoin5 wrote: »
    Yea the tone goes bizarre when you do that.

putting on a nice big high mass bridge would be my next idea...

Advertisement