Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to look for in a second hand DSLR/Lens?

• 26-02-2010 12:42am

Hey all,

Will be purchasing a second hand camera/lens from a guy on adverts soon hopefully.

He says it's in great nick, and I genuinely do believe him. However, it brings up a question that I've always kind of wondered about... What do you look for when looking at a second hand camera body or lens to try ad ensure it's all up to scratch?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

take a photo of a white wall
    checking for sensor dirt or damage
    check the shutter actuations, theres a recent post on how
    more stuff im sure but its a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Lens checks
    - will filter screw on to the front OK (ie threads not damaged)
    - will lens hood fit easily - snug fit with no wobbles
    - If a zoom lens, does it creep? Many do, and it is not a problem - but does it creep excessively/feel sloppy?
    - shake it - does it rattle? Not necessarily a dealbreaker as some lenses do rattle a little.
    - hold it up to the light check for scratches on front & rear elements.
    (generally, scratches on front element may not be a dealbreaker - unless it is a macro - but walk away if there are scratches on rear element)
    - any dirt/dust/small furry animals trapped inside the lens?
    - smooth operation of focus & zoom rings
    - If it has an internal focus distance indicator - check it moves smoothly, no wobbles.
    - check lens mount for chips/scratches/deformities/cracks
    -fit lens to camera. Make sure it fits easily & locks firmly into position
    -If the camera has a DOF preview, set aperture to fully closed, press & release the DOF preview button, look in the front of the lens & ensure aperture closes & opens quickly & smoothly.
    - press DOF preview & slowly adjust aperture at the same time, it should move quickly from stop to stop with no hesitation.
    - check lens AF operation - it should AF quickly & smoothly .
    - take a few shots & determine that they are in focus. Check frame centre & corners. You wont be able to do this with a great degree of precision - but should be able to spot any gross problems.
    - take a series of shots at say 1/1000 f/2, 1/250 f/4, 1/60 f/8 etc. up to min aperture, Check exposure/histogram - all should be nearly identical, otherwise aperture isn't doing what it is supposed to.
    - If lens has IS/VR - turn it on & check that it is working. Take some photos with IS/VR enabled

That'd be a reasonable start. Camera checkpoints later if I have time :)

Cheers,

FoxT

Thanks to all of the people who have thanked me! How do you do that?
    I mean, If I want to thank somebody, how is it done? (& I do have some people to thank...) I love boards but the whole user interface is confusing.....for example, I dont know how many times I have tried to embed a pic in a post & it just doesnt work....and yes, I have read the instructions, 3 times!

Just looked at my user CP & found I have been thanked 59 times in 37 posts. Now I know I have made more than 37 posts, and to be fair some posts I made, I was just venting, and/or just back from the pub ( so I don't expect or deserve thanks for those!) but where do these stats come from?

Thanks!

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The thumbs up icon, lower right of any post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

thumbs up icon in the bottom right of posts is the thanks button.

stats means 37 of your 146 posts have been thanked by 59 users.

• Advertisement

to Coolmoose & the cageyone.... Duhhh! looks so obvious now!

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

No probs. I rarely pay attention to anything way over other side of a post either :D

Advertisement