Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick has the highest rate of murder and manslaughter in the country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I'd be interested to see percentages for scumbag on scumbag murders versus scumbag on normal person murders compared with the rest of the country. I reckon if you're not dealing drugs or involved with 'the families' you have a pretty good chance of avoiding a murderer in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

concussion wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see percentages for scumbag on scumbag murders versus scumbag on normal person murders compared with the rest of the country. I reckon if you're not dealing drugs or involved with 'the families' you have a pretty good chance of avoiding a murderer in Limerick
    Shane Geoghean
    Roy Collins
    Daniel Fitzgerald
    Daniel treacy (OK he was related but still innocent and not a scumbag)

That's 4 names off the top of my head who have been shot dead in limerick in the past year or so and not scum at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

ya a lot of innocent people are getting killed latley, lets hope they go back to killing each other sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

[SILENCE]

Limerick does NOT have a problem, we are quiet during Visitor penalty kicks in Thomond Park, thats what Limerick is......

- End of story.

[/SILENCE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Raiser wrote: »
    [SILENCE]

Limerick does NOT have a problem, we are quiet during Visitor penalty kicks in Thomond Park, thats what Limerick is......

- End of story.

[/SILENCE]

:D:D

Wonder how long before someone gives it the ol "Dublin is worse" line Raiser :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wonder how long before someone gives it the ol "Dublin is worse" line Raiser :rolleyes:

Well Dublin smells worse if that helps.:D The Liffey can have some awful smells coming from it at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well Dublin smells worse if that helps.:D The Liffey can have some awful smells coming from it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's true though. At least you can walk along the banks of the Shannon in town and not have your nasal cavity fill with a pungent stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I agree with concussion on this, you have a very slim chance of being murdered here in Limerick if you aren't involved in the drugs game somewhere.

And before you start on the innocent victims that are listed above, the only one that was 100% innocent and had nothing to do with drugs was Shane Geoghan, and that was a case of mistaken identity (he looked similar to the intended target and lived in the same area), and maybe Roy Collins to some extent however he did have interaction with the Dundons and it was this that led to his death.

BRIAN Fitzgerald (who was a neighbour of mine at the time) was shot because he was stopping them from dealing in Docs, while his death was tragic he made himself a target by denying them entry to the club and Daniel Treacy is Owen Treacy's brother who the Dundons tried to kill along with his uncle Kieran Keane quite a few years back.

So yeah i stand by that, Shane Geoghan was in the wrong place at the wrong time and looked like the wrong person, he was the only person who was killed here that had no interaction with the criminal gangs.

EDIT: Also I was watching this on the news last night, and South Central Dublin has a murder rate of 5.1 per 100,000 population compared to Limerick's 3.6 per 100,000. So statistically speaking you're more likely to be murdered on the south side Dublin city center than you are in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd agree with foinse on the fact about links to drugs, but there's no sense in claiming that someone who stood up to the scum was somehow "involved", or "made themselves a target".

If law and order was dealt with properly then saying "no" to a scumbag shouldn't get you killed, or even put you in danger.

On a broader angle, does anyone know why Live 95 claimed that if - as foinse pointed out - West Dublin has a higher stat ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd agree with foinse on the fact about links to drugs, but there's no sense in claiming that someone who stood up to the scum was somehow "involved", or "made themselves a target".

If law and order was dealt with properly then saying "no" to a scumbag shouldn't get you killed, or even put you in danger.

On a broader angle, does anyone know why Live 95 claimed that if - as foinse pointed out - West Dublin has a higher stat ?

The point that i was making is that only one person who was named above had no interaction with the gangs or drugs.

I do agree with you that saying no to a scumbag shouldn't get you killed, but these are a rather special breed of scumbag that we find ourselves dealing with.

Also it would appear that i was reading the wrong column in that report, i was looking at 2007 column, it would appear that in 2008 we did in fact have the highest murder/manslaughter/infanticide rate in the country.

it's on page 23 of this document

in 2008 DMR west had 9 murders giving them 3.2 per 100,000 population and we again had 7 murders making us again 3.6 per 100,000 population. To put a positive spin (probably the wrong words) on those figures if you take the detection rates of 22.2% and 85.5% respectively we are at least more successful at finding those responsible.

Cause you have to compare like with like - you can't compare Limwrecks woes with the Gaza Strip or West Dublin with the entire Cork City area.

- Statistics can be skewed to represent any viewpoint at any time; I can report that there has been zero crime and 100% Garda detection of this in my Garden Shed since Noon yesterday......

Apparently there are 634 Gardai in Limerick - They are an active and visible precence on our Streets, keeping us safe daily - Apparently theres about 633 of them in the image below, they are just hard to spot when in Public and off their arsés.....

250px-Oconnellst.jpg

And if you look really closely you'll see one in this other photo.....

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do the statistics refer to Limerick City or do they encompass the county murders also?

Berty wrote: »
    Do the statistics refer to Limerick City or do they encompass the county murders also?

that would be the Limerick Garda Division's numbers, which covers county Limerick, Limerick City, and Co. Clare out to Cratloe and Ardnacrusha which are part of the Limerick Garda Division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Cause you have to compare like with like - you can't compare Limwrecks woes with the Gaza Strip or West Dublin with the entire Cork City area.

- Statistics can be skewed to represent any viewpoint at any time; I can report that there has been zero crime and 100% Garda detection of this in my Garden Shed since Noon yesterday......

Apparently there are 634 Gardai in Limerick - They are an active and visible precence on our Streets, keeping us safe daily - Apparently theres about 633 of them in the image below, they are just hard to spot when in Public and off their arsés.....

250px-Oconnellst.jpg

And if you look really closely you'll see one in this other photo.....

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg

i love wheres wally chartoons:D

foinse wrote: »
    that would be the Limerick Garda Division's numbers, which covers county Limerick, Limerick City, and Co. Clare out to Cratloe and Ardnacrusha which are part of the Limerick Garda Division.

should they not be included? it is after all the average per 100 thousand people.

to be fair Limerick can be a very very dangerous place. walking home one night i noticed the ARU at a pub(im not naming anywhere but it was awhile back). aparantly 5 mins before i was passing a certain scumbag element where beating some guy and a barman with baseball bats outside the pub. this well known scumbag element(who have movable houses:D) are well known and would have attacked anyone in the area just because they witnessed said event.

this is only one isolated incident. im a guy and can handle myself but if it was some student girl walking home that night and was 5 mins earlier........................ this is only one of number of families who instead of been locked up in the zoo with the rest of the animales are alowed to roam the streets giving this proud city a VERY bad name.

sure someone here will reply to this post and say well why would you walk home alone late at night? its dangerous to walk home alone in any city.........

i do not care about other cities. i do not care about saying well dublin's worse. i do not care about muggings in cork or fights in galway. i care about limerick and 7 murders or 3.5 per 100 thousand people is WAY TOO MANY. i should be able to walk the streets safe at night. my mom should be able to walk the streets at night safely. my grandmother should be able to walk the streets safe at night. there is no excuse. its the way it should be.

there are cameras all over the city. maybe there should be more???? but what use is having cameras around the city if we cant feel safe??

Can anyone do a Stewie-from-Family-Guy voice ?

"Oh - I see what you did there - "Lim-wreck" - ha ha ha. So hilarious. Not." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Icky Thump wrote: »
    sure someone here will reply to this post and say well why would you walk home alone late at night? its dangerous to walk home alone in any city.........

i do not care about other cities. i do not care about saying well dublin's worse. i do not care about muggings in cork or fights in galway. i care about limerick and 7 murders or 3.5 per 100 thousand people is WAY TOO MANY. i should be able to walk the streets safe at night. my mom should be able to walk the streets at night safely. my grandmother should be able to walk the streets safe at night. there is no excuse. its the way it should be.

there are cameras all over the city. maybe there should be more???? but what use is having cameras around the city if we cant feel safe??

I've been going out in Limerick for about 14/15 years now. Not once did I feel unsafe in all that time walking around at night. I've heard about all the killings and beatings over the years and I've never felt any less safe before or after that knowledge, but hey maybe that's just me.....

Roadend wrote: »
    I've been going out in Limerick for about 14/15 years now. Not once did I feel unsafe in all that time walking around at night. I've heard about all the killings and beatings over the years and I've never felt any less safe before or after that knowledge, but hey maybe that's just me.....

dont get me wrong i dont fear for my life or anything. i have no problem walking anywhere in this city at anytime or the night or year. i dont feel safe or fear. i dont think about it because i have no reason to.

but if it was my girlfriend, sister, mom or granmother walking through town late at night on their own would i be worried???????

• Advertisement

Icky Thump, how can you use that incident to illustrate how dangerous Limerick is but follow it up with "now this is only one isolated incident"?

concussion wrote: »
    Icky Thump, how can you use that incident to illustrate how dangerous Limerick is but follow it up with "now this is only one isolated incident"?
    because it was just one isolated incident that had no relation to any on going fueds in the city. it was a random incident

"Oh - I see what you did there - "Lim-wreck" - ha ha ha. So hilarious. Not." :rolleyes:

"Yeah, right Mom, like what-EV-er - NOT."

Can anyone do a Lisa-from-the-Simpsons voice ?

I really am shocked you have a problem with that Liam, seeing as you currently have "Fianna Failure" in your Sig on all 6,357 of your posts splayed all over this Site!!!!!

- That's epic hypocrisy to be honest; Or was it witty and interesting when you borrowed it elsewhere ;)

Roadend I wish you continued good fortune - you remind me of People I know who used to share that view before witnessing several assaults; One in particular where the Gardaí refused to summarily question the Scumbags responsible who had simply strolled half a block away to stand around grinning.

Icky Thump wrote: »
    because it was just one isolated incident that had no relation to any on going fueds in the city. it was a random incident

So you're saying Limerick isn't as dangerous as it's made out to be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

foinse wrote: »
    I agree with concussion on this, you have a very slim chance of being murdered here in Limerick if you aren't involved in the drugs game somewhere.

And before you start on the innocent victims that are listed above, the only one that was 100% innocent and had nothing to do with drugs was Shane Geoghan, and that was a case of mistaken identity (he looked similar to the intended target and lived in the same area), and maybe Roy Collins to some extent however he did have interaction with the Dundons and it was this that led to his death.

BRIAN Fitzgerald (who was a neighbour of mine at the time) was shot because he was stopping them from dealing in Docs, while his death was tragic he made himself a target by denying them entry to the club and Daniel Treacy is Owen Treacy's brother who the Dundons tried to kill along with his uncle Kieran Keane quite a few years back.

So yeah i stand by that, Shane Geoghan was in the wrong place at the wrong time and looked like the wrong person, he was the only person who was killed here that had no interaction with the criminal gangs.

EDIT: Also I was watching this on the news last night, and South Central Dublin has a murder rate of 5.1 per 100,000 population compared to Limerick's 3.6 per 100,000. So statistically speaking you're more likely to be murdered on the south side Dublin city center than you are in limerick.

What a load of B**ix , you talk about these guys like you knew them well, what your basicly saying is your guilty be association!!

Brian Fitz stopped people going into the club so he was wrong, Someone else was related to someone...so they are not 100% clean.

Roy Collins owned a bar where these guys tried to gain entry with an under age minor ....whats common here besides Shanes murder is that these guys were out in the public...working and were targeted because the wanted to keep their job

What would you do? leave your job and let your family starve and let someone ride rough shod over you?

( Quote) no interaction with the criminal gangs

????????whats that about!!

I really am shocked you have a problem with that Liam, seeing as you currently have "Fianna Failure" in your Sig on all 6,357 of your posts splayed all over this Site!!!!!

- That's epic hypocrisy to be honest; Or was it witty and interesting when you borrowed it elsewhere ;)

Didn't borrow it; and as for "hypocrisy", well I'll look at facts before making an informed opinion.

And the fact is that they've FAILed to implement the very zero tolerance that they promised (in which case we wouldn't be discussing Limerick, or anywhere else in these terms); FAILed to heed warnings; FAILed to manage the economy; FAILed to weed out corruption, FAILed to admit their mistakes and incompetence; FAILed to allocate responsibility (with O'Dea claiming he was a "victim") and FAILed to provide a fair and decent society.

Now if you can similarly justify the use of the word "wreck" on numerous fronts, then fire away, and I'll accept it.

But don't accuse me of hypocrisy based on the above. :rolleyes:

Didn't borrow it; and as for "hypocrisy", well I'll look at facts before making an informed opinion.

And the fact is that they've FAILed to implement the very zero tolerance that they promised (in which case we wouldn't be discussing Limerick, or anywhere else in these terms); FAILed to heed warnings; FAILed to manage the economy; FAILed to weed out corruption, FAILed to admit their mistakes and incompetence; FAILed to allocate responsibility (with O'Dea claiming he was a "victim") and FAILed to provide a fair and decent society.

Now if you can similarly justify the use of the word "wreck" on numerous fronts, then fire away, and I'll accept it.

But don't accuse me of hypocrisy based on the above. :rolleyes:

You seem to have missed or ignored the irony linking Limwreck and Fianna Failure?

- There's your actual hypocrisy charge if you still feel like you've a reputation to defend.....

Are you seriously looking to me to bring you evidence of Limwreck?

Really?

Do you want me to start with the pitch perfect 'Opera Centre' and head North, South, East or West? - Because almost any direction will do?

Do you want photos?

Media articles on the horrors?

Perhaps you#d be interested to read descriptions of the one City in Ireland that used to have a State Sponsored initiative to bulldoze vast areas of it as it had progressed far, far beyond the meaning of the word 'wreck'?

- I'd love to see Limerick prosper and recover from its current wreckage - but I guarantee you that the first step is admitting that there is a problem.....

Show me a Man who will deny that Limerick has serious problems that need serious solutions in Feb/March 2010 and I'll show you a disingenuous, agenda driven, misled, misleading, obtuse Fool.....

Show me a Man who will deny that Limerick has serious problems that need serious solutions in Feb/March 2010 and I'll show you a disingenuous, agenda driven, misled, misleading, obtuse Fool.....

No-one's denying that Limerick has serious problems.

What I am challenging is your opinion that it's a wreck.
    You seem to have missed or ignored the irony linking Limwreck and Fianna Failure?

- There's your actual hypocrisy charge if you still feel like you've a reputation to defend.....

At least you admit that it's a charge, and not a fact; that's something I suppose.

There is no hypocrisy. I've listed the failures which make my signature truthful and valid.

And while you have - rightly - listed some of the issues that highlight Limerick's problems, they do not justify the use of the word "wreck".

So again, there is no hypocrisy.

In fact, since many of the issues are caused by O'Dea's promises and the FF "regeneration" concept, not to mention unemployment and no money for investment in the promised Opera Centre, I'd view that in some ways the issues are linked.

There are many good points, and many bad points.

Limerick does need prompt attention, though, or you could well be right within a few years - I'll give you that.

All that said, I'd still view Cork as the only other city in Ireland in which I'd consider living.

Advertisement