Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem can anyone help

• 26-02-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Sorry ill have to rant on abit here need to explain though the full problem and i do appreciate if anyone can help

im with upc on the 20meg broadband,about a month ago i woke up and got my laptop but the internet wasnt working it said LOCAL ONLY i have since disconnected my wireless router to try and get to the bottom of the prob(and to prove it wasnt the router causing it )

anyway my modem is conected directly to my pc but for the last month anytime i download sometimes it works but a lot of the time my black modem box conks off all the light go out, my downloads stop and then the lights come back on but i had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working (the last week or two its conked off during download turned back on and i havent had to unplug it it works again when the lights come back on)

anyway ive had 2 technicians out the 2nd guy checked all the connections and the boxes outside said everything was fine the only thing they havent changed out has been the modem itself but i still have the same problem

a friend of mine thinks that upc could be monitoring what im downloading and cutting me off (what do you think (honestly i mainly download anime through mainly megaupload,rapidshare, hotfile ect) do you think this is possible

So what do you guys thinks is wrong do you think its a faulty modem ,what im downloading, a virus id appreciate any help you guys could offer

and i apologise if ive ranted on too long i really want to get to the bottom of this

ps ive been downloading from those sites ever since i got my upc connection almost a year ago with no probs then so it seems weird theyd be doing that now

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What router/modem do you have?

What you experience is somewhat similar to mine. If I start just a couple of torrents, the web fails to load. The Cisco router i have is unable to multi-task. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AnimeRulez

its a Scientific Atlanta modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It might be faulty if it suddenly out of the blue after all that time stopped working rather than virus(you're friend is paranoid).

Did they run actual diagnostics on the modem itself? Take a log of the times when it randomly drops for when the next time you ring them as you are not getting net access.

And if it goes off itself, ring them up straight away and don't turn it back on until they say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AnimeRulez

No they tested the lines mostly not the box itself i got rung on friday and i have a guy comin out tuesday to replace the modem i hope to god this solves the problem if not dont know what ill do

Thanks for your suggestions (i really hope my mate is paranoid id like to think thers still a bit of privacy left in this world

Advertisement