Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraced in Public

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Sue, sue, sue... and we laugh at the Americans ?

But seriously, what an amateur attempt at security falsely accusing you when he obviously was not certain. Many would-be shop lifters dupe security guards into thinking they have stolen something, and bring legal action when falsely accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sesna wrote: »
    Sue, sue, sue... and we laugh at the Americans ?

But seriously, what an amateur attempt at security falsely accusing you when he obviously was not certain. Many would-be shop lifters dupe security guards into thinking they have stolen something, and bring legal action when falsely accused.

I know that Ireland's got its fair share of people who twist the situation with the sole intention of getting their hands on compensation, but there must be some legal guidelines that should be followed, so that the security people or other staff members don't walk right into a situation where the business ends up getting sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I know that Ireland's got its fair share of people who twist the situation with the sole intention of getting their hands on compensation, but there must be some legal guidelines that should be followed, so that the security people or other staff members don't walk right into a situation where the business ends up getting sued.

Yes its called training and regulation. Too many security staff think their on a par with the gardai and need to be calmed down. Funny enough I just read about another poster who had a similar experience in the westside sc which is where my incident happed 7-8 years ago. A lot of supermarkets used to hire ex members and retired members of the gardai so they really should know better.
    Most solicitors will take the case on a no win no folly basis and you would not be waiting 4 years as some other poster has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats assuming you don't get costs awarded against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Boston wrote: »
    Thats assuming you don't get costs awarded against you.

You cant if your solicitor is taking the case on a no win basis! Hes not going to take a case for you on them terms if there is a strong chance of you not winning. They normally make contact with the buisness first to get their side of the story then advise if they are to proceed or not on a no win no fee basis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I wonder is it why alot of retail outlets use external security firms such as Q4S etc, security personnel who are not direct employees of the retail outlet? In that case the security company would be liable for any action taken, and not the retail outlet. Also much easier to get rid of any security staff who run into problems when they are just employed on a part-time contractual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

trad wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 5 year bit?

Drunken driving is an arrestable offence but doesn't carry 5 years in prison as far as I can recall.

From what I'm reading in Sect 4 of the 1997 Criminal Law Act it's any arrestable offence, which could inculde a breach of the Public Order Act for example.

Unless of course, if you know better.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0014/sec0002.html
    Interpretation. 2.—(1) In this Act, and in any amendment made by this Act in any other enactment—
    "arrestable offence" means an offence for which a person of full capacity and not previously convicted may, under or by virtue of any enactment, be punished by imprisonment for a term of five years or by a more severe penalty and includes an attempt to commit any such offence;

trad wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 5 year bit?

Drunken driving is an arrestable offence but doesn't carry 5 years in prison as far as I can recall.
    A garda can arrest for a lot more than someone else.
    no win no folly basis
    No foal no fee basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, I'm closing this thread, as it is not a Consumer Issue. You may wish to create a post in the Legal Issues forum, but I would advise you to contact a mod there first, because I am unsure as to what is allowed there.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement