Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry McKean's Southill experience (from Limerick Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I read that myself the other day and just thought that they are simply hardening an already held view that they are unruly and not fit to merge with society.

You have to ask yourself:

Do "they" really care that they are different?

I would say they don't care what general mainstream society or a different life / upbringing / group of peers could offer them. They have grown up with this life and that life is all they know. Should we try to change them? Groups have been trying to help the community with groups calling for activities and grants to help the area.

It's like quiting smoking. You need to want to quit before you can start to quit. They don't want a different life in most cases. These types of groups are the one's who will throw stones at the Gardai, Fire Crew, Ambulance Crews, Postmen, Bus drivers and even their own neighbours. They are the same type who you will find that will stroll out in front of you in traffic and expect you to stop.

"They" are not simply from Southill though, they are a countrywide phenomenon but Im reffering to the article.

You have to ask yourself another question?

Putting resources towards these people, housing them and rehousing them, giving their local community grants towards trying to help them and so on. Is it money down the drain? Is mainstream society tired of trying to get them to integrate and try for a better lives for themselves?

I know that I feel a few more incubators would be better used than a jobs club / activities centre for these people in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Wonder did Henry's accent have anything to do with their hostility....
    Wouldnt be surprised if it did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Lord Henry should be glad he escaped with his life instead of wittering away to the media, especially since its well known that he stole Paddy O'Gorman's role as Pesterer of the People; Recording the slack-jawed Dopes on the Streets for the slack-jawed Dopes listening to the radio..... Love the way he said he was "on duty", its a record button, not an M16 Henry.....

- As for the anti-British sentiment; Probably, we need Irish People to condescend to and subsequently profit from the mutterings of our own disaffected Youth, not some messenger from the United Kingdom.

Strange then isn't it that Des Bishop had no problems shooting hours of footage in Southhill - Then again he has NY Street cred, an inherited Cork accent and speaks Irish better than we do......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Publicity seekers... they can then brag on bebo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

scumbags is all they are. they will never amount to anything more than the dirt on the end of our shoes. let them have their fun for now but in 10 years time when the dole is cut from people who never even tried to work a day in their lives they will prob be on those ads for concern on tv.

scum:D

im feeling extra hostile today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Kids are kids!!! anyone remember flicking spits in school on rulers when 8 or 9!!

saem all over the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

he seems like a nice man to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Kids are kids!!! anyone remember flicking spits in school on rulers when 8 or 9!!

saem all over the world

Yes but would you do that to a teacher or any adult for that matter? Henry Mckean does great radio documentaries for newstalk, he doesn't carry any prejudice in who he interviews, Last year he even interviewed Jay Red FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

saem all over the world

Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It isnt, I grew up in Sydney, its rare that you get this level of scumbaggerry there. You get the odd knife in school etc but only in the bad areas.
    If you spat at anyone in our school it would be an expulsion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement