Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote RON.

Options
  • 26-02-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

So I was there looking at the flyer of candidates today and I think it's a disgrace that 3 positions are uncontested, especially the presidency so I think we should choose Re-Open Elections for at least the presidency, because he's not gonna truly represent the student body, and if the same situation arises again then noone probably cares........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maccy

Why just the presidency? RON the three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

RON on president yes.

Not on Welfare, I think Scott's doing a fairly good job.

I'd rather a RON vote than John Logue getting into Education......(That said, I am openly supporting James, but I really really REALLY dont want John Logue to get in.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Why RON Lynam?

Always thought he was very hardworking and dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Why RON Lynam?

Always thought he was very hardworking and dedicated.

I dunno tbh, if I see him around I wanna have a quick chat with him. I do think he'd be a decent president, but I dont like the idea that it's unconested.

I'm not exactly pro-fees, but the current free fees thing is unsustainable (But on an unrelated note, any argument that says fees will improve Irish institutions is just bollox for the time being, fees are only being grought in to cut out the government expenditure, not to supplement it.) I dont like the idea that he will represent the entire student body fighting for something that not everyone entirely supports.....

And he completely undermined his speech (For me anyway) by mentioning late night opening for the bar on Thursdays. It's something I'd love to see, but I just cant take him seriously after he brought that up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I always RON uncontested positions on general principal, But I'll be RONing Ents extra hard this years, as the only candidate is a fucking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

RON the presidency vote, pretty please. And get word out! I bet half the student body haven't even realised it's uncontested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Grrr to the guy that wants to lower repeat fees. If you fail an exam with no extenuating circumstances then you should pay the fee as it stands. Might be a bit of encouragement to go study.

Agree that Scott does a good job at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AEG

After three years of broken promises I'm voting RON on all ballot papers this year. The SU doesn't really have the power to change things on the large scale within UCD. Also the fact that there are FIVE full time officers all paid out of my fees grates totally as I believe none of them really have such a workload as to make them full time, with the exception of maybe the president.
    Raphael wrote: »
    I always RON uncontested positions on general principal, But I'll be RONing Ents extra hard this years, as the only candidate is a fucking joke.

Completely agree!! Unfortunately the fact he's a "ledge" will mean he'll get it. Doesn't matter if he's useless at the job.

Also have heard people saying that they'll vote Logue because he's hot!! Honestly, some people should not have a vote.

Really think Scott is doing a good job?
    Any of my encounters with him I have found him unecessarily arguementitive and not the most approachable.

But I'll be RONing Ents extra hard this years, as the only candidate is a fucking joke.

He's been around Ents since I was in second year.
    He helped organise loads of events over the years.

He can't be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

betafrog wrote: »
    I bet three quarters of the student body couldn't actually give a shit

Lol, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

maccy wrote: »
    Really think Scott is doing a good job?
    Any of my encounters with him I have found him unecessarily arguementitive and not the most approachable.

He also allowed fees be introduced in the health centre. He is probably the worst welfare officer ever.

He also allowed fees be introduced in the health centre. He is probably the worst welfare officer ever.
    Nah Viv Rath takes that prize, although Scott comes a nice second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Is allowed really the right word?

Nobodys paying the things either. Theyre having to sort out a new system and basically not let ppl graduate if they havent paid the fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chemgirl

Scott is useless, he is extremely unapproachable so why would you want to re-elect him.... Personally i like what i hear about logue in all honesty most of them are going to be useless any way just like this years crew

He's been around Ents since I was in second year.
    He helped organise loads of events over the years.

He can't be that bad.

I'm basing my opinion of him on his manifesto, in which he posits the ideas of:

Ents buying a night club (Which would have neglible entry fee and the best promos evar!!oneone)
    Organised chillouts by the lake (as opposed to those terrible unorganised ones)
    Paying for all this by buying a lottery ticket every week. Which had better've been a joke.

Edit: Oh, and putting the UCD Ball in the "natural ampitheatre" of the running track. Because destroying sports facilities used by the local community and the college is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Lynam seems like a decent guy, although at the age of 23 I think its time he finished his undergrad - but the rest of them seem very poor candidates and simply not up to the job.

Like look at Ahearns manifesto for 2009.
    Some of his priorities were:
    1. Introduce a loyalty card scheme for meals in the bar and ents gigs.

As far as I know this didnt happen.

2. Kick the habit campaign to help students quit smoking.

I dont remember hearing about this either.

3. Strive to gain funding for the health centre

I suppose this technically did happen as you have to pay now, although I doubt that was his intention.

There were several other campaigns relating to first aid training, drink driving awareness and personal safety that I dont remember hearing about this year.

I am not picking on Scott, Redmond this year was very poor. His only plus was the 24hour study space but looking at his manifesto he delivered on about 10% of his aims. The problem is these people think of great idea that look great on their manifesto but dont think about the implementation or costs.

Another gem from 2009:

Donnacha O Suillebhean: Donnacha WILL fight to keep the reg fee as low as possible, well below next years potential €1,500 mark.

Grrr to the guy that wants to lower repeat fees. If you fail an exam with no extenuating circumstances then you should pay the fee as it stands. Might be a bit of encouragement to go study.

Agree that Scott does a good job at the moment too.
    Personally, I'd be a fan of lowering the fee for a resit, but not a repeat. For no other reason than the fact that it's ridiculous that it costs the same to redo and entire module, with all lectures and Continuous assessment than to just go and do an exam at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Ents buying a night club (Which would have neglible entry fee and the best promos evar!!oneone)
    Paying for all this by buying a lottery ticket every week. Which had better've been a joke.

Edit: Oh, and putting the UCD Ball in the "natural ampitheatre" of the running track. Because destroying sports facilities used by the local community and the college is a great idea!

His whole leaflet is a joke, every idea completely ridiculous and un-workable. I would hate to see the night club thing even come close to fruition. The clubs he mentioned are closing down for a reason, buying one would just create a massive black hole into which even more student money would be sucked. What percentage of the UCD student population even make use of ents? It seems like the majority are just subsidising a minorities nights out drinking.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    His whole leaflet is a joke, every idea completely ridiculous and un-workable. I would hate to see the night club thing even come close to fruition. The clubs he mentioned are closing down for a reason, buying one would just create a massive black hole into which even more student money would be sucked. What percentage of the UCD student population even make use of ents? It seems like the majority are just subsidising a minorities nights out drinking.

Which idiot is proposing we buy a nightclub? While they are at it I think we should invest in Anglo Irish, perhaps create our own bank or maybe enter a team in formula 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Which idiot is proposing we buy a nightclub? While they are at it I think we should invest in Anglo Irish, perhaps create our own bank or maybe enter a team in formula 1.

Johnny Cosgrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I bet half the student body even know the elections are on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They're all the same, every stinking last one of them. All they are is little shits, who've never worked a real job in their lives and need something bump up the cv apart from 'working in a consultancy firm'... malark. What happens is, these people stay an extra two years or so in UCD, graduate (eventually) with their bull**** degree because they were too lazy to actually work hard and have had too many nights on the razz with our money and eventually they end up doing the FE-1s, biding their time in daddy's friend's firm, until they join a political party (FF/FG) and run in a local election for Dublin South Central. SU hacks are the lowest of the low, 'Stumpy' the one-legged alco in Dartry would get my vote quicker than the one of the SU knobs.
    Maybe I'm bitter but after three years of absolutely hollow promises that could have been made a reality with all of the money that was floating around, it's ridiculous to say the least.

Oh wow.

That's almost as bad as when the Woman's Officer candidate wanted to run an Anne Summer's party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

El Siglo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm bitter but after three years of absolutely hollow promises that could have been made a reality with all of the money that was floating around, it's ridiculous to say the least.

Thing is, and I ain't just saying this because I lost, but in the contested elections in recent years the better candidates tend to loose. Maybe they're less popular, maybe people believe unrealistic promises, I don't know but there's been a few genuinely good candidates who ran for the right reasons and lost in recent years.

It worries me that the Education candidate who's saying he's "non-political" yet an active member of FF, and who is outright lying in most of his lecture addresses stands a very good chance of winning, be cause people too often vote for crap, and then wonder why they get crap.

I will run for ents next year, bringing such great promises as:

Bungee jumping off the water tower
    Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew to play the UCD Ball
    UCD Ball to be held in the RDS
    Free taxis to and from the hottest nightclubs (not for you guys, for me and my buddies)
    Free Beers (ditto)
    Hire Republic of Loose for a 1 year residency of the Pav, so they will never darken the door of the UCD Bar again
    Weekly rave in the James Joyce Library

dajaffa wrote: »

It worries me that the Education candidate who's saying he's "non-political" yet an active member of FF, and who is outright lying in most of his lecture addresses stands a very good chance of winning, be cause people too often vote for crap, and then wonder why they get crap.

What worries me also is the ents candidate proposing to purchase a nightclub and also a clamp to clamp the clampers vans. He's just that cool ya know. Who needs realistic ambitions when you can make a completely stupid witty goal.

What worries me also is the ents candidate proposing to purchase a nightclub and also a clamp to clamp the clampers vans. He's just that cool ya know. Who needs realistic ambitions when you can make a completely stupid witty goal.

Oh yeah, forgot that one. Ridiculous AND illegal!

dajaffa wrote: »
    Thing is, and I ain't just saying this because I lost, but in the contested elections in recent years the better candidates tend to loose. Maybe they're less popular, maybe people believe unrealistic promises, I don't know but there's been a few genuinely good candidates who ran for the right reasons and lost in recent years.

You're right, problem is the calibre of students has really gone to the dogs. I mean, look around the Arts block around 12 o'clock or so, everyone 'done-up' as if they're going out on the tear. If somebody can spend that long in front of a mirror I seriously doubt their judgement of SU hack is going to be good. I know there are exceptions to the hacks I've generalised but on the whole these are exceptions and the rule seems to be that the absolute cunt will always get in. Sure look at the state of our Dáil, the UCDSU is a microcosm of ineptitude, cronyism and greed that is rife in this country. Maybe their should be a proper (i.e. not facebook) campaign for RON. Posters and canvassers and all that.

• Advertisement

I will run for ents next year, bringing such great promises as:

Bungee jumping off the water tower
    Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew to play the UCD Ball
    UCD Ball to be held in the RDS
    Free taxis to and from the hottest nightclubs (not for you guys, for me and my buddies)
    Free Beers (ditto)
    Hire Republic of Loose for a 1 year residency of the Pav, so they will never darken the door of the UCD Bar again
    Weekly rave in the James Joyce Library

Ya'd get my vote!
    What about our baroque chamber music and brandy in the student bar?:D

Advertisement