Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote RON.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patchmck

I reckon people running for positions are always gonna have more friends than there are people who actually give a **** about SU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

To throw my two pence worth in, James Williamson is the only UCD candiate who will ever get a vote out of me. I reckon he's the only member of the SU who's done anything for me in my time in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Things really never change. I'm a graduate but was active in election campaigns throughout my time in UCD & I heard every one of these arguments over and over again each year.

For example:
    I'm not trying to plug him or anything but it's another reason I'm voting for james,he's working bloody hard at this election and logue isn't because he has commerce and B&L behind him which gives him the numbers[how do you think gary redmond got in last year?] james has put up more posters/mahifestos and been alot more vocal about it,because he's working for it.I garauntee that if logue gets in his vast majority will be commerce and B&L.
    I dont know either Logue or Williamson but afaik Logue does law or b&l & Williamson does science. How anyone can begrudge a guy getting his faculty to vote for him is beyond me but I actually heard the exact same complaint when one of my mates ran a few years ago. I'm gonna assume Williamson will walk Science & potentially Health Science just like Logue will walk Roebuck & potentially Quinn. If either become Education Officer because of this would you honestly stand up and say that they deserve it any less?

The SU has been in need of change for years. The problem is that it is a democracy (more accurately a popularity contest) which generally means the best person for the job wont get it. patchmck really hit the nail on the head with the fact that people who actually care and have the desire to improve the SU in most cases wouldnt have a chance of winning and thats why no one is willing to run against the likes of Lynam/Cosgrove/Ahern because they lack the network & experience that these guys have.

In my opinion the only chance a RON campaign would have to defeat a candidate would be against a candidate with a very small campaign team & who is already generally disliked. A campaign against anyone who has a likability factor would easily be painted as being bitter and spiteful and would quickly lose the momentum it would need to have a chance to win. I think the only way to properly reform the union would be a referendum but with the levels of apathy I found in UCD I doubt anyone would be bothered putting up enough of the fight that would be necessary to topple the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

El Siglo wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of getting an SU officer who has more braincells and maturity than a nice piece of plywood who is also apolitical and focussed on totally on the needs of the students? I doubt it.

James Williamson.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Yeah, I'm voting for James Williamson too :). He's the only that actually looks suitable for this job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Haven't heard a lecture address from Williamson yet but his manifesto looks workable unlike Logue's. Think Logue is an impressive speaker and is telling everyone exactly what they want to hear no matter how unfeasible, I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth, think I'll vote Williamson but am worried that I haven't seen him in any of my lectures yet..

Offside wrote: »
    Haven't heard a lecture address from Williamson yet but his manifesto looks workable unlike Logue's. Think Logue is an impressive speaker and is telling everyone exactly what they want to hear no matter how unfeasible, I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth, think I'll vote Williamson but am worried that I haven't seen him in any of my lectures yet..

That surprises me tbh, he seems to be doing a crazy amount of them.

What year/faculty are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Offside wrote: »
    Look;first of all I don't want to start mudslinging,I'm campaigning for williamson,but would personally have nothing against logue.

but he came into my calculus lecture yesterday and blatantly LIED about getting councils to change their granst system,look dude,you can't F*cking do that stop pretending you can

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Yeah Williamson was in two of my lectures today. I never saw Logue, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Fad wrote: »
    That surprises me tbh, he seems to be doing a crazy amount of them.

What year/faculty are you in?

1st history and politics, Logues been into my theatre L lectures, admittedly attendence isn't exactly 100% so I could easily have missed Williamson at some stage! First time I heard Logue I was impressed then kinda asked myself the question is anything he's promising possible? Don't think so, don't think I'll see much of him if he gets the job either, could prove me wrong though!
    Going to vote for williamson anyway

• Advertisement

Just RONed the fúck out of my votes for the SU elections (Except Welfare and Education) :D

Well I voted for Colm McGuire for C&C, but that's basically a RON (I mean I'd love him to win, but I doubt he will......)

Nice work!

I'm gonna RON the **** out of everything that's uncontested tomorrow, make those cliquey ****es work for their year off college to prick around the SU and feel important

patchmck wrote: »
    Nice work!

I'm gonna RON the **** out of everything that's uncontested tomorrow, make those cliquey ****es work for their year off college to prick around the SU and feel important

Only did it on the provision you vote for Williamson.......>_>

Irrespective of your opinion of him, he's better than Logue and a RON vote for Edu will not go through (Race is really tight between James and Logue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...oh yeah, voting was today.

Woops.

Raphael wrote: »
    ...oh yeah, voting was today.

Woops.

Tomorrow too.

Yeah I'll prob vote for him he's in my year.

Still tho, when all's said and done I might not walk past a polling station tomorrow and just forget all about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The race for education was getting nasty tonight in Arts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hm, might go vote tomorrow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

The race for education was getting nasty tonight in Arts!

Discuss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

DáireM wrote: »
    Discuss?

Well, anyone who was down around the polling station at arts tonight would have noticed it. Some (not all) canvassers on both sides were getting pretty bitter towards each other with insults starting to fly in the contest to grab would be voters in the last two hours of polling. An official confiscated all of Logue's campaign T-Shirts for some reason . . . and at the end of it all the campaign management for both teams sat down and had what looked like a pretty serious discussion with the returning officer.

Heard myself that some tears were shed on both sides, and some nasty allegations made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Well, anyone who was down around the polling station at arts tonight would have noticed it. Some (not all) canvassers on both sides were getting pretty bitter towards each other with insults starting to fly in the contest to grab would be voters in the last two hours of polling. An official confiscated all of Logue's campaign T-Shirts for some reason . . . and at the end of it all the campaign management for both teams sat down and had what looked like a pretty serious discussion with the returning officer.

Heard myself that some tears were shed on both sides, and some nasty allegations made.

Well, at least the positions that are actually contested are competitive..

John Logues team were 'Negative Campaigning' apparently, so the returns office gave out to both candidates and campaign managers.

The shirt thing was something to do with people having voted (If they didnt have a sticker, the tshirt was taken). One got taken from James, no one really knew wtf was going on tbh.

Fad wrote: »

The shirt thing was something to do with people having voted (If they didnt have a sticker, the tshirt was taken). One got taken from James, no one really knew wtf was going on tbh.

Ah that makes sense. Those in charge of the elections give out a certain number of special stickers to all campaigns, and they must be attached to the T-Shirts being used by canvassers. If a T-Shirt does not have the sticker then it can be confiscated . . . it stops a team from pumping money into its campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After reading this thread during my boredom last night I decided to ask one of my mates about it today & from what I was told that race has gotten very spiteful. One of things that I was told was that Ahern basically decided earlier in the day that as he was uncontested he could afford to put his focus into getting Williamson elected. Last week he had also attempted to attend a Louge campaign meeting before being asked to leave as Logues team were worried that Aherns girlfriend is involved in Williamsons campaign.

If this is true then Ahern's arrogance is definitely deserving of a RON!!

Foxtrol wrote: »
    . . . Ahern basically decided earlier in the day that as he was uncontested he could afford to put his focus into getting Williamson elected . . .

Noticed myself that Paddy Ryan is also out canvassing for Williamson, any other of the current SU officers helping out with Williamson's team?

Im guessing Donnacha Ó Súilleabháin is helping out with Logue's campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Noticed myself that Paddy Ryan is also out canvassing for Williamson, any other of the current SU officers helping out with Williamson's team?

officially they can't endorse a candidate but they can have their own opinon and help out with whoever they wish.

it looks like gar and Mike pat haven't gotten involved at all with this election,from what I've seen anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

officially they can't endorse a candidate but they can have their own opinon and help out with whoever they wish.

it looks like gar and Mike pat haven't gotten involved at all with this election,from what I've seen anyway

Gary's been supporting Lynam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

This all sounds immature and pathetic imo. Kind of like a bad episode of Coronation Street.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    After reading this thread during my boredom last night I decided to ask one of my mates about it today & from what I was told that race has gotten very spiteful. One of things that I was told was that Ahern basically decided earlier in the day that as he was uncontested he could afford to put his focus into getting Williamson elected. Last week he had also attempted to attend a Louge campaign meeting before being asked to leave as Logues team were worried that Aherns girlfriend is involved in Williamsons campaign.

If this is true then Ahern's arrogance is definitely deserving of a RON!!

It's nothing to do with Ahearn being arrogant, it's because he feels James is the better candidate and he's happy to take a high RON vote so the better man gets the other postion.

Nothing to do with his girlfriend.

I dont believe the Logue part though.

• Advertisement

Turning his back on James who helped him campaign for Edu last year.......

Advertisement