Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote RON.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Coke from the SU shop is now going to taste so much better than from the vending machines.

We can now look back and see what a waste of money that boycott was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Will the SU still be stocking Pepsi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Breezer wrote: »
    Will the SU still be stocking Pepsi?

Don't see why they wouldn't.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Don't see why they wouldn't.
    I dunno, a lot of shops don't. I guess Coke sells more so it's simpler and more profitable to just devote more shelf space to Coke.

Meh, I'm barely ever around anymore anyway, I was just curious to know if anyone had heard anything to that effect.

Breezer wrote: »
    I dunno, a lot of shops don't. I guess Coke sells more so it's simpler and more profitable to just devote more shelf space to Coke.

Meh, I'm barely ever around anymore anyway, I was just curious to know if anyone had heard anything to that effect.

Maybe... I doubt they will stop stocking it now just because the ban was overturned, but if they find out that its not selling then they might decide to pull it. It'll stay imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Maybe... I doubt they will stop stocking it now just because the ban was overturned, but if they find out that its not selling then they might decide to pull it. It'll stay imo.

Depends, cant see them keeping it in Science (ie my main SU shop.....). Not enough space to stock both :(

Fad wrote: »
    Depends, cant see them keeping it in Science (ie my main SU shop.....). Not enough space to stock both :(

Maybe we should campaign for a referendum on making Pepsi mandatory in all SU shops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Logue canvasser: Have you voted yet?
    Me: No, I forgot my student card (which was true), but Im not voting for logue anyway
    LC: Why not?
    Me: I don't agree with lowering the repeat fee. If you fail an exam it's proabably your own fault. And if it's not, then get extenuating circumstances
    LC: He doesnt want to lower it to 0 anymore he wants to put it to something affordable like €50
    Me: If its affordable it takes away the incentive to study
    LC: Well his point was cos he failed 4 of his exams in Christmas in first year and had to repeat the year cos he couldnt afford the repeats
    Me: Why did he fail four of his exams?
    LC: Cos he's a retard
    Me: And you want me to vote for a retard?
    LC: So you're saying you wont vote for him because you don't like one of his poilicies
    Me: Why the hell would I vote for him if I dont like his policies?
    LC: Emm... ok... fair enough
    *walks off*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Logue canvasser: Have you voted yet?
    Me: No, I forgot my student card (which was true), but Im not voting for logue anyway
    LC: Why not?
    Me: I don't agree with lowering the repeat fee. If you fail an exam it's proabably your own fault. And if it's not, then get extenuating circumstances
    LC: He doesnt want to lower it to 0 anymore he wants to put it to something affordable like €50
    Me: If its affordable it takes away the incentive to study
    LC: Well his point was cos he failed 4 of his exams in Christmas in first year and had to repeat the year cos he couldnt afford the repeats
    Me: Why did he fail four of his exams?
    LC: Cos he's a retard
    Me: And you want me to vote for a retard?
    LC: So you're saying you wont vote for him because you don't like one of his poilicies
    Me: Why the hell would I vote for him if I dont like his policies?
    LC: Emm... ok... fair enough
    *walks off*

And welcome to the UCDSU.;)
    Good responses though, I hate canvassers and would have like to have seen this!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Someone failed four first year modules?! And they think they know about education? God I'm sick of these hacks trying to make college easier so they can spend more time masturbating to the sound of their own voices.

If they could get their own way (i.e. if they actually had any power) a degree would be two years of ten hours a week, because that is about the workload they can manage.

I think you should have to have passed 30 exams to be allowed run for sabbat. That means in third year second semester, having not failed anything. Most hacks have only got through first, maybe second year so they don't understand what university is about.

College isn't the same as school. You have to drag everyone through school and make sure they come out knowing how to read and write, and as rounded individuals. College is hard work and long hours, and not everyone is able for it. We shouldn't slow it down and devalue our degrees for people who should just consider other career paths. Geology and Chemistry have been known to fail half and three quarters of classes before, but the rest of us get really good degrees out of them if we do work. (They're the only subjects I know about, I'm sure it's the same across the board)

I am sick of hearing about the "student experience". Anyone who really gets their teeth into a subject knows it is infinitely more rewarding than group masturbation with hacks. I like society events, don't get me wrong, but study is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

He failed four first year modules? Haha thats the problem wit free fees. Idiots get to go to college, fail all their exams and bring us down the rankings table.

Get a job or some brains

Grimes wrote: »
    He failed four first year modules? Haha thats the problem wit free fees. Idiots get to go to college, fail all their exams and bring us down the rankings table.

Get a job or some brains

He went to the institute......hence the desire for sample answers.....

He went to the institute......hence the desire for sample answers.....

Ah here if you cant get through first year .......... but can become the SU education officer. No wonder UCD is seen as the joke version of Trinity. I guess you can welcome another serial failure to live in the student center for the next 8 years. I think the current ones are dead and need replacing or something. Richard Butler must have forgotten to water them.

It feels very good to have graduated from UCD and working in real media with real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Regardless of whether or not he went to the tute, he still got 510 points, which is way way more than Williamson.

And now your going to argue that CAO points are irrelevant, that suits me fine, just stop talking about the tute then. Maybe it says more about Logue than Williamson that he valued college enough to work his ass off to get there, cause the tute isn't actually easy, contrary to popular belief...

You guys talk about how students should value college grades more, well if thats true, don't you feel patronized that there has to be a ****ing financial deterrent not to fail? I do.

You keep calling him a hack? Williamson is a program officer, Logue is nothing? Williamson has been talking about running since last year, Logue decided a month ago. Williamson was backed by the entire SU, Scotty Ahearne actually got one of my mates to vote Williamson based on "the SU needs to be a unit, we work better with one of our own".

90% of people in this thread are just anti-su, so stop Logue bashing...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

errlloyd wrote: »
    You keep calling him a hack? Williamson is a program officer, Logue is nothing?

Logue is FF, a FF hack in my eyes is worse then a SU hack.

I think everyone on this thread is a hack pretending not to be

Regardless of whether or not he went to the tute, he still got 510 points, which is way way more than Williamson.

And now your going to argue that CAO points are irrelevant, that suits me fine, just stop talking about the tute then. Maybe it says more about Logue than Williamson that he valued college enough to work his ass off to get there, cause the tute isn't actually easy, contrary to popular belief...

You guys talk about how students should value college grades more, well if thats true, don't you feel patronized that there has to be a ****ing financial deterrent not to fail? I do.

You keep calling him a hack? Williamson is a program officer, Logue is nothing? Williamson has been talking about running since last year, Logue decided a month ago. Williamson was backed by the entire SU, Scotty Ahearne actually got one of my mates to vote Williamson based on "the SU needs to be a unit, we work better with one of our own".

It has nothing to do with James or James' points tbh (Or Logue's points for that matter)

It is a point that the institute encourages (Well, forces) wrote learning. John Logue wanted lecturers to release sample answers, which would encourage wrote learning.....which would devalue UCD degrees.

I dont want to know why he came to Dublin to do the leaving, and frankly I dont give a fúck. He wanted a course with high points, nothing to do with valuing the college, he played the game. He also went to the institute, which (oddly) I dont consider to be a walk in the park, but it makes attaining high points considerably easier.

I dont consider it patronizing tbh, I think you're just thinking about it too much. Resits cost money, paper has to be written up, exam has to be arranged etc. Repeats cost fúckloads, and the the money taken in from resits helps subsidise the cost of a repeat. Nothing to do with an incentive imo.

I called him a hack once. I didnt call him an SU hack, I called him a hack for another group within UCD...... Donnacha didnt endorse James.

I'm not anti-SU, not really that pro-SU either though.

wrote learning... wrote learning... patronizing.

It's funny, but the thing that industry heads are complaining about most is that graduates have terrible spelling and grammar! They can't trust graduates to write letters or reports for them, now that is a big deal in any job. After that they complain about our critical faculty and lack of initiative.

You can't rote learn everything, and anyway there is a lot to be said for actually knowing and remembering facts.

You can't rote learn languages. That is not how you naturally learn languages, and if you try, you'll end up with a limited set of phrases and unable to actually make sentences of your own, which you will need to do in the exam. You can't rote learn maths- you have to memorise certain formulae, but ultimately you have to be able to use the knowledge creatively. Even if you tried to rote learn history, you'd first have to at least think about why people did what they did or felt how they felt. You could try to memorise chemistry, but first you HAVE to understand it or you won't be able to do the problems, and if you understand it you don't need to rote learn.

I actually got a lot from my leaving cert. I enjoyed Irish and English poetry and loved doing music, and I still remember most of it because I liked the poems and pieces enough to accidentally memorise them.

Fair play, he needed 500 and he did the work to get it, whether he's particularly clever or not we don't know. I respect that a lot more than people who brag about not studying. Sorry for going off topic, but you really shouldn't assume anything based on someone's leaving cert results. Everyone knows clever people who did nothing and thick people who worked hard who got the same results.

I agree with patronizing, check the Oxford / Cambridge English dictionary, z as in realizing and patronizing is the correct UK English. Using s is actually French.

On another note, firstly it does cost money for printing and correcting, 50 euro... 50 != 230... Secondly I do want sample answers, because I do worry I'll fall into the trap of doing the right answer the wrong way.

Secondly I do want sample answers, because I do worry I'll fall into the trap of doing the right answer the wrong way.

That's unbelievably lazy imo. Go talk to your lecturers and tutors, ask them questions, provide answers that you have written to past exam questions etc and ask them to give you pointers/feedback. They are only delighted to help students when they can see they've put a bit of effort into it, rather than demanding to be told how they should write it in the first place.

College is about learning to do things for yourself ffs, not like the leaving cert where you are spoon fed material.

• Advertisement

That's unbelievably lazy imo. Go talk to your lecturers and tutors, ask them questions, provide answers that you have written to past exam questions etc and ask them to give you pointers/feedback. They are only delighted to help students when they can see they've put a bit of effort into it, rather than demanding to be told how they should write it in the first place.

College is about learning to do things for yourself ffs, not like the leaving cert where you are spoon fed material.

Wow you're extremely self righteous aren't you? Sample answers aren't answers to questions that come up, they are answers to questions that have come up. The idea is not to learn the answer, just learn the format? Its not lazy, its just much easier to learn in your own time then have someone explain it to you.

Wow you're extremely self righteous aren't you? Sample answers aren't answers to questions that come up, they are answers to questions that have come up. The idea is not to learn the answer, just learn the format? Its not lazy, its just much easier to learn in your own time then have someone explain it to you.

Sorry for coming across badly, i was tired and grumpy. Apologies.

I still don't agree with sample answers, however. You want sample answers to be brought in to learn the format? A sample answer shouldn't be needed to learn any format.

Hmmm, I've yet to see a definite reason why we can't just have them though?

In my opinion "we don't need them" isn't really a reason, I think a lot us want them...

Leaving aside whether or not students have a right to sample answers, there's absolutely no way they're going to come in. FFS, a large amount of lecturers don't even put their notes on Blackboard, and look at you either incredulously, angrily, or haughtily when asked could they possibly do so. It's been decided on many occasions that lecturers have no obligation to provide lecture notes, so there's no way on earth they're going to be obliged to provide sample answers. Choose your battles people.

Hmmm, I've yet to see a definite reason why we can't just have them though?

In my opinion "we don't need them" isn't really a reason, I think a lot us want them...

Do you want a definite answer?
    You're in fucking university doing a fucking degree, not in some piss smelling secondary school doing the 'leaving cert'.
    That's reason enough. The difference between university and secondary is that you are the one that has to find the answer, even if it's wrong you're responsible. It doesn't matter what you're studying, there's no set way of answering a question, there's a multitude of ways that are as valid as each other. Then, to expect lecturers to give you ways of answering questions, well that's just absolutely ridiculous.
    Jesus Christ, how long are you in UCD now? Has the penny not dropped yet? Do the work on your own back, answer the question as you see fit? Seriously, what next, have people elected to do the exams for you? I'm honest to God getting sick of seeing this kind of 'dumbing down' in academic standards. People complaining because the lecturer deviates from the norm or not being given all the answers. It's called hard work and critical thought. You won't get prescribed answers in the postgraduate world and you certainly won't get them in a professional setting.
    Want and need are two totally different things. I want a Ferrari, but it doesn't mean that I need one. Hence the same applies with these prescribed answers.

I think someone has come down with a case of the "lets only go to the last lecture of the yearsies" to get the answer, pass the module and clap ourselves on the back for a degree well done.

For some of my subjects, the exam is worth 100% and in essay format. We do no assignments during the year and no continuous assessment. We have very few lectures- the lecturers briefly go through the literature we need to read and explain any jargon. Their offices are in a high security area I don't have the swipe card and when I need to see them they are never in Ireland!

I'd love if they'd give us some pointers on exam format. A sample answer might not be a good idea, because everyone will have read different papers and have different opinions, but something to explain what format they want; how many references they want, do we need to explain experimental sections or is that assumed now, do they want any introduction or background (the only two who ever specified said NO INTRO, NO BACKGROUND but if they don't specify I could waste ten minutes in an exam!).

I think some transparency is necessary. Most of all I'd like if we could hand up essays during the year and have them returned with feedback, but I've asked and they just don't have time. My supervisor never finishes work before midnight, so I can understand.

rantyface wrote: »
    For some of my subjects, the exam is worth 100% and in essay format. We do no assignments during the year and no continuous assessment. We have very few lectures- the lecturers briefly go through the literature we need to read and explain any jargon. Their offices are in a high security area I don't have the swipe card and when I need to see them they are never in Ireland!

I'd love if they'd give us some pointers on exam format. A sample answer might not be a good idea, because everyone will have read different papers and have different opinions, but something to explain what format they want; how many references they want, do we need to explain experimental sections or is that assumed now, do they want any introduction or background (the only two who ever specified said NO INTRO, NO BACKGROUND but if they don't specify I could waste ten minutes in an exam!).

I think some transparency is necessary. Most of all I'd like if we could hand up essays during the year and have them returned with feedback, but I've asked and they just don't have time. My supervisor never finishes work before midnight, so I can understand.

+1
    These are totally legitimate concerns, absolutely agree with you here. A little bit of clarity like this goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

The posts from the law student above are very boring all together...

• Advertisement
Advertisement