Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

breeding sow

• 26-02-2010 3:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32

i have a couple of gloucestershire old spot gilts they are about 8 months i was thinking about breeding one of them i would prefer to use ai because it would be a lot easier for me than haveing a boar around the place and also what breed would suit to cross with and where would the nearest ai center be i am from the south thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

The only AI centre I know of in the North, Google deerpark pigs, from memory they hasve 2 or 3 lines of GOS pigs so if you know if your lines you can get the semen to suit.

Why bother crossing when you can have pure GOS finest pork in the world !!

But DP Pigs will help you if you do wanna cross em, but i think you will need a boar to tease the sow especially a maiden as from what I believe the sow doesnt release the eggs without teasing from a boar.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Probably Duroc good outdoar breed.
    Hermatige AI in kilkenny should sort u out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

Elite sires, in the north as well- coleraine, co londonderry, 048 7035 1730. if your not lookin for high output production so you'd be best to go with a traditional breed like saddle back or large black even stick to the old spot, something with a bit more fat on the meat, giving it better taste. if your gettin small amounts of semen you could even try two different breeds in the same gilt, and the results could be favourable if you get the gilt in the right part of the heat, and both sperms fertilise some eggs, at home here we serve the gilts/sows twice, one day after the other to get a better success rate.

as for teasing, it isn't entirely necessary, but it still helps alot. if you can tell that she's in heat then using a.i. alone will still work. to help it along if you sit on her back it will simulate the boar having mounted her. nothing can beat the real thing, but the new fangled way can work too. not serving on the first heat can help too, but you might not want to wait the three weeks. though it can be advantageous too, cos you'll know when she's going to be in heat again.

do you have much experience in a.i.-ing pigs?

just spotted your from waterford so coleraine is a bit away, but still an option if you get it delivered same day. they do do this, but maybe only to account customers, i'm just not too sure. once the gilt is in heat you'd be needing it pretty quick and it doesn't keep that long. shelf life about 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 masterblaster2

first time haveing pigs so no experience in ai probably get a vet to do it thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Hi Masterblaster

AI is fairly simple, here is a link to the best instructions Ive seen on the net. So Far

http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 masterblaster2

Thanks wozza,great help.

Advertisement