Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV...has oz gone digital?? Prob tuning

Options
  • 26-02-2010 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I bought a tv the other day. Lady in shop said it was HD Ready but not HD Tuned. She said I could pick up all the normal channels no bother. However, I'm only picking up 2 channels..SBS and some other channel. Is the problem because the system has gone digital or am I not tuning it in right. I did an auto-tune. I checked online and it says Melbourne area won't be going digital til 2013 yet elsewhere it says it is already in most areas. Fearing I've bought a dud tv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

You might need to get a set top box. I couldnt tune the channels into our tv, (a plasma, few years old), so we got a set top box, and did it through that. works fine.

Or you might have bought a dud, being a new tv it should tune in the channels. Did you try tuning the analog tuner AND the digital tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Are you getting snow or maybe a 'No Signal' msg?

Snow is usually from analogue TV not tuned properly

but a digital TV will display "No signal" or a pixelated image.

On a digital TV the channels should auto tune in that the TV will find all available channels...

Unless you are not getting a good signal from your Aerial (antenna)

Are you using an external Ariel or on of those indoor type?

A digital TV might not work with an indoor aerial (at least in some areas)

How good a picture do you get with SBS and the other channel (I guess its ABC)

What make of TV is it?
    try this forum for info http://www.dtvforum.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

mine is a small LCD tv...Im picking up SBS and some other channel. There is an external aerial on the roof. I did an auto-tune..as far as I know this should tune in......it didnt seem to show VHF....so should I be doing something else??

mine is a small LCD tv...Im picking up SBS and some other channel. There is an external aerial on the roof. I did an auto-tune..as far as I know this should tune in......it didnt seem to show VHF....so should I be doing something else??

Yeah go down to Coles and buy a set top box for about $50....

There are only 5 analogue channels in Australia but with a set top box your should get twice that.

Have the main channels gone digital so...ABC, seven, nine..etc???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

All the free-to-air channels have gone digital, but they should also be analog for another three years or so, although that varies by location.
    With digital you'll get the regulars along with Seven Two, Go, One, SBS2, ABC2 and ABC3.

Ok...Im picking up SBSOne and some local channel I think...31 is the bottom right corner. I read online that these are on UHF so maybe its that my tv isnt tuning into the VHF band which is where most of the free to air analogue signals are. I read the manual but there is nothin in it.
    Either my signal needs to be boosted or I need to tune in on the VHF band some way or another. The auto-tune isnt doing it.

ok..I got an SD set-top box but I still cant get reception. The channels tune in but appear very poorly..lines across the screen etc...My tv is HD Ready. Should I have got a HD set-top box or will it make any difference. Id be happy to just pick up the analogue channels. The guy in the store said it wud do the job.
    Also can someone explain to me..with digital channels..how are they received...I presume they can't be received through the standard aerial.
    Basically do u have to have a dish on the roof or be on cable?

ok..I got an SD set-top box but I still cant get reception. The channels tune in but appear very poorly..lines across the screen etc...My tv is HD Ready. Should I have got a HD set-top box or will it make any difference. Id be happy to just pick up the analogue channels. The guy in the store said it wud do the job.
    Also can someone explain to me..with digital channels..how are they received...I presume they can't be received through the standard aerial.
    Basically do u have to have a dish on the roof or be on cable?

SD or Standard Digital should work with your TV... a HD box would not work any better. If you are getting lines and squares across the screen (Pixelated) then the problem is the aerial on your roof. Digital TV is received through a standard aerial absolutely 100%...... but if your aerial is shonky then it aint gonna work.

Are you sure that the wall socket that you plug the cable into actually goes to the aerial on the roof?

What type of place you got is it a free standing house, a Duplex (semi) or a unit? Does your neighbours share the aerial?

Go and ask your neighbours how do they get a good signal... maybe they using a booster because they live in a dud area.

A dish or cable is only for pay TV like Foxtel (Sky)................ free to air digital channels is through the normal aerial.

Hey..thanks for your replies. I've tried it again this morning and hey presto I am receiving 3 ABC channels and the quality is very good. It's frustrating cos every time I do an auto-tune I can get different results depending on the time of the day. I think it must be the aerial. I think my aerial may not be picking up VHF very well. Maybe I need a booster. Would that be attached to the aerial socket in the room.
    Btw the house is detached and has its own aerial.

• Advertisement

Hey..thanks for your replies. I've tried it again this morning and hey presto I am receiving 3 ABC channels and the quality is very good. It's frustrating cos every time I do an auto-tune I can get different results depending on the time of the day. I think it must be the aerial. I think my aerial may not be picking up VHF very well. Maybe I need a booster. Would that be attached to the aerial socket in the room.
    Btw the house is detached and has its own aerial.

yeah you could have a duff aerial connection or maybe you require a booster... it could be that the previous occupants had a booster and they took it with them when they moved.... I would ask your neighbours what they do.

hey...I wonder if the signal is weak are you more likely to receive the high frequency channels...thats what I think I'm receiving and because I have a weak signal I am not receiving the lower VHF signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have you tried tuning a different TV into the TV point? I sounds like either your aerial is dodgy or you are in a bad coverage area.

Advertisement