Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 6 Music to be axed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Was listening to them talk about it last night on 5 live.

Personally I will.

It's pretty hard to find a station with quality presenters who play really top quality tunes from such a large array of genre's.

There will be a huge facebook/twitter/web 2.0 social networking blurb.

to prevent this.

wan the facebook petitioners do your work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Sorry guys, I just saw this now, after I posted my own response. I agree : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's the most amazing radio station i've ever heard. It would be a f*cking travesty if this station is axed.

Axe the Asian network (tiny amount of listeners despite there being an enormous Asian population in the UK; there's plenty of commercial and community Asian stations out there whereas there's NOTHING like 6Music), axe 1Xtra (far too similar to Radio1. Never seen the point of this station). Even axe BBC7 which is a station that has wasted its potential since day one by being a 'ghost station', almost totally automated, playing repeats all day. I would guess only 5-10% of its output is newly commissioned for the station, which is a disgrace when you think of all the comic talent in the UK who could use a break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

John Peel must be rolling in his grave, seriously.

Im sure Xfm will pick up the slack :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

It would be a crying shame for BBC 6Music to be chopped. Idiotic management chasing quantity of listeners rather than fulfilling the public service remits of providing quality of broadcasting! A station with a real dedication to the music that matters, and home to the excellent misters Cornish and Buxton.

The huge amount of sub-mediocrity that passes for quality music radio here in Ireland have a mountain to learn from the great 6Music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hot off the press this morning, BBC Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons has said "public concern" might mean the corporation will have to "rethink" plans to axe 6 music . . .

Looks like 6 Music might get a reprieve :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

The huge amount of sub-mediocrity that passes for quality music radio here in Ireland have a mountain to learn from the great 6Music.

I think much of Irish radio is mediocre, and can't think offhand of a single radio programme on Irish radio which I strive not to miss. Even formerly interesting programmes like Liveline have been turned into the on air equivalent of a tabloid newspaper, with the presenter appearing to turn every show into a boxing match between two sides, with him as the eminently biased referee who intervenes to keep the tempo raised if it looks like it might calm down.

We've been so lucky in Ireland to have access to the BBC for so many years, and now with the advent of internet radio, giving access to radio all over the world, RTE and the other Irish stations seem less and less relevant and less and less interesting.

Ultimately quality will win, and unless the Irish stations such as RTE realise that, they are doomed to get smaller and smaller audiences, as more and more people discover other quality stations around the world.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Camelot wrote: »
    Hot off the press this morning, BBC Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons has said "public concern" might mean the corporation will have to "rethink" plans to axe 6 music . . .

Looks like 6 Music might get a reprieve :)
    Yeah, there's hope it stays.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8546696.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I think much of Irish radio is mediocre, and can't think offhand of a single radio programme on Irish radio which I strive not to miss. Even formerly interesting programmes like Liveline have been turned into the on air equivalent of a tabloid newspaper, with the presenter appearing to turn every show into a boxing match between two sides, with him as the eminently biased referee who intervenes to keep the tempo raised if it looks like it might calm down.

We've been so lucky in Ireland to have access to the BBC for so many years, and now with the advent of internet radio, giving access to radio all over the world, RTE and the other Irish stations seem less and less relevant and less and less interesting.

Ultimately quality will win, and unless the Irish stations such as RTE realise that, they are doomed to get smaller and smaller audiences, as more and more people discover other quality stations around the world.

The majority will listen to the radio on the FM band while driving and even the number of people that can receive BBC radio on FM is nothing compared to RTÉ radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The majority will listen to the radio on the FM band while driving and even the number of people that can receive BBC radio on FM is nothing compared to RTÉ radio.

It's impressive that you know what the majority of people do and don't do :p

In any case, technology means that, even in cars, soon the majority of us will be able to listen to internet radio in our cars, so if ORETE is banking on keeping it's numbers of listeners up by the numbers of car listeners who are forced to listen to them for reasons of non availability of other similar channels, for example, then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The advent of internet radio will do for radio what the advent of satellite has done for tv, but the exception is that there is much more quality radio around the world than there is quality tv, which might suggest that the effect on radio audiences might be greater than it has been on tv audiences.

• Advertisement
    byte

I'd doubt very much that internet radio will be available to the majority of drivers "soon" tbh.

If internet radio had as good a coverage as FM, I'd be a very happy chappie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

In any case, technology means that, even in cars, soon the majority of us will be able to listen to internet radio in our cars

that'll be a bad day for this guy...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/5898353/The-man-who-is-allergic-to-Wi-Fi.html

still though, 6music's demise can be laid fairly at that burd who brought in george lamb, russell brand and whatever other tosspots her buddies at a certain agency could get. it went downhill fast after that cock lamb started.
    it was great in the morning when gideon was on, and i only started listening again recently when lauren laverne took over.

this stuff used to make tuesdays the highlight of the week..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/gideon_coe/etiquette_index.shtml

I hope it stays and I hope Joe comes back from Hollywood. I've been feeling so sad for Adam, imagining him at home in front of Harry Hill's TV Burp, putting on a brave face for the kids. Guy Garvey's show was good too but Adam and Joe were a joy. No more Boggins, or Songwars, or text the nation
    : (

or even retro text the nation!!

Or made-up jokes!

byte wrote: »
    I'd doubt very much that internet radio will be available to the majority of drivers "soon" tbh.

If internet radio had as good a coverage as FM, I'd be a very happy chappie.

I listen to 6music in my car. I have a data package with my iPhone so I listen over 3g and connect my iphone to my car stereo.

I'd rather pay 10 quid a month for data than listen to Irish local radio, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the russell brand show was good.Adam and Joe were/are excellent and Jon Richardson's show is very good.All in all a great station and will be missed if it goes.

byte

eth0_ wrote: »
    I listen to 6music in my car. I have a data package with my iPhone so I listen over 3g and connect my iphone to my car stereo.

I'd rather pay 10 quid a month for data than listen to Irish local radio, tbh.
    LOL, I hadn't even considered 3G! D'oh!

That said, where I am, 3G is patchy, but still, a new option I didn't previously consider. I have the WunderRadio app for net radio.

i use the Fstream app.

i've spent the day downloading these. the best podcasts from music!!

http://www.adamandjoe.com/downloads/bbc-6music-radio-show/

• Advertisement

Excellent link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

6 music is saved (was it ever really in danger is my question).

Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Just this second heard! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! :D

mike65 wrote: »
    6 music is saved (was it ever really in danger is my question).

PR stunt FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I wonder if the Adam and Joe show is coming back? Their show was the highlight of my radio listening week.

Sergeant wrote: »
    I wonder if the Adam and Joe show is coming back? Their show was the highlight of my radio listening week.

later in the year apparently

ntlbell wrote: »
    PR stunt FTW

It wasn't a "PR stunt".

eth0_ wrote: »
    It wasn't a "PR stunt".

You were at the meeting of the BBC trust then was it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I wouldn't think that the BBC Trust are about PR stunts.

ntlbell wrote: »
    You were at the meeting of the BBC trust then was it.

Well firstly, it wasn't the BBC Trust's decision to suggest CLOSING the station - that was a decision made by upper management at the BBC.

I have friends who work at the station and I was/am involved in organising the protests outside BH and the celebratory gig in London on October 2nd. Four of my fellow organisers met with the Trust in May. Believe me, it was not a publicity stunt. Just an incredibly stupid, petty decision by the most unpopular DG in the BBC's history.

Advertisement