Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N32 drivers

• 26-02-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

Which part of bus lane not in operation do you not understand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A lot apparently. It also takes over 3 years at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Yeah I get this too but I would say this.

The road is only ever really backed up at either end of it. For the large part in the middle, traffic moves freely enough at 80km/h give or take.

If there never was a bus lane on it, would it have been a two laned road, or a wide road with a hard shoulder marked with a broken orange line.

So yes there is a bus lane on it - its not in use. Therefore some drivers drive in it, some don't and some weave in and out undertaking and overtaking. And everybody is moving at a reasonable speed.

Personally, if the bus lane is not in operation, the council should just reline the place and either make a hard shoulder or a second lane. Simple as.

Colm R wrote: »
    traffic moves freely enough at 80km/h give or take.

Even though the speed limit is 60kph :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

shhh!

don't encourage people to use (o.o.s.) bus lanes, it'll make them slower for people who know you can use them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Davy wrote: »

Which is part of the problem, as a lot of cars pootle along at 60 in the 'overtaking lane' causing dangerous undertaking in the 'bus lane'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

oops - caught!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the same "problem" exists on the Ballinteer Rd (i think thats what it is??) from M50 to Dundrum town centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

1st rule of the road is Keep Left. Same arguement for when a bus lane expires at say 1900hrs or all day on a Sunday. Some people will just stay out of them.
    If I have to drive to city centre on a weekday I wait until after 1000 when the bus lanes cease until 1200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I must say though that as a regular driver of the N32 for the last year, it took me a couple of months to notice the "Bus Lane not in operation" signs. I mean they are small temporary orange signs strapped to posts on cable ties. If it has been like that for 3 years as the second posters said then I think it should have been made more clear. The road markings really should be redone at this stage.

Incidentally, when this was a bus lane was it a 7 until 7 or a 24 hour one? That makes a huge difference. If it was a 7 until 7 then it may be treated as an extra lane, however if it was a 24 hour bus lane then it should be treated as a shoulder and not a driving lane.

I also agree that traffic boots along merrily at 80km/h on this road, despite the 60 speed limit. It looks like it was designed to an 80km standard, perhaps the speed limit should be raised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Brian Con wrote: »
    I must say though that as a regular driver of the N32 for the last year, it took me a couple of months to notice the "Bus Lane not in operation" signs. I mean they are small temporary orange signs strapped to posts on cable ties?

They're a foot square bright orange sign, if it took you a couple of months to notice them I'd hate to think waht else you've failed to notice on the road!

• Advertisement

I must say though that as a regular driver of the N32 for the last year, it took me a couple of months to notice the "Bus Lane not in operation" signs. I mean they are small temporary orange signs strapped to posts on cable ties. If it has been like that for 3 years as the second posters said then I think it should have been made more clear. The road markings really should be redone at this stage.

The orange signs have been up for a few months. Before that their wasnt signs, but once the blue buslane signs are removed, it means that it isnt a bus lane even if the road markings stay in place.

Incidentally, when this was a bus lane was it a 7 until 7 or a 24 hour one? That makes a huge difference. If it was a 7 until 7 then it may be treated as an extra lane, however if it was a 24 hour bus lane then it should be treated as a shoulder and not a driving lane.

It was 24 hours a long long time ago when Aerdart bus used to use it, but was changed to 7 to 7 then for awhile after that, before being removed for operation freeflow a for years back, and then was never reinstated as a bus lane.

I also agree that traffic boots along merrily at 80km/h on this road, despite the 60 speed limit. It looks like it was designed to an 80km standard, perhaps the speed limit should be raised?

This has been raised a few times, the AA tried to campaign the speed raise but it was decided against it, due to the pedestrian crossing and the belcamp entrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

The orange signs have been up for a few months. Before that their wasnt signs, but once the blue buslane signs are removed, it means that it isnt a bus lane even if the road markings stay in place.

I think I first noticed it when the orange signs were put up, bad awareness on my part. I guess I'm not as good a driver as I though I was ;)

It was 24 hours a long long time ago when Aerdart bus used to use it, but was changed to 7 to 7 then for awhile after that, before being removed for operation freeflow a for years back, and then was never reinstated as a bus lane.

It definitely needs to be looked that again, it probably was designed as a wide single carriageway with shoulders. Plenty of room for a 2 + 2 though, only with proper markings. If it was originally a 24 hour then I am not surprised that people don't use the bus lane.

This has been raised a few times, the AA tried to campaign the speed raise but it was decided against it, due to the pedestrian crossing and the belcamp entrance

Ped crossing would make a difference alright. I hate the way it's just left like that though, I hate breaking the speed limit but you really get bullied out of it driving at 60 on that road. It's easy to drive fast there as it looks like it should be an 80, there are so many roads with an 80 or even 100 speed limit down the country that are not built to as high a standard.

Ped crossing would make a difference alright. I hate the way it's just left like that though, I hate breaking the speed limit but you really get bullied out of it driving at 60 on that road. It's easy to drive fast there as it looks like it should be an 80, there are so many roads with an 80 or even 100 speed limit down the country that are not built to as high a standard.

Well it has been tried to be upped but nothing worked so far. I guess someone could try raising the idea again to the local authority. I think a lot of people would prefer it to be 80kph myself included, pity that wont change much

Advertisement