Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcock - is it a nice area to live?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Looking to move to Kilcock, Co. Kildare, with the OH. Can anyone tell me if it's a nice area to live?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heidipj

A quick disclaimer though - I set up and run the Kilcock community website http://ourkilcock.ie - check it out - it should give you a really good intro into Kilcock, including latest news, comments and there's a photo gallery too. There are some great assets in Kilcock - we've got a Canal, a River and railway and we're a minute off the N4. We've also got a great art gallery, a very active theatre, a canoe polo club, GAA of course, and lots of other stuff too.

The town looks like a bit of a mess at the moment because they are upgrading the sewerage and roads are just terrible. But when this is sorted out (within a month it is promised) they'll be resurfacing and returning the streets to normal.

But some cool things coming up in Kilcock are the St Pat's Day parade and just afterward a Duck Race. It's going to be loads of fun with over 1000 plastic ducks participating.

There's a pretty active Facebook page too with over 550 members all Kilcock based - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-Kilcock/133394935169 - might be nice for you to check out whats being said from a selection of locals.

Anyway hope this helpful for you :D Good luck in your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks for that, both sites are great. We just made the decision to take a house there we were looking at so we're excited to move there, seems like a nice town. I'm glad about the gallery too as I'm an artist! Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

It's a dump. Maynooth is infinitely better but you probably already know that.

The only reason somebody not from Kilcock would move to Kilcock is because they couldn't afford to live in the place they really want to be. Multiply this for about 70% of the population in Kilcock and you have some very frustated locals who have to go to Maynooth for a their shopping or a decent night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Maynooth is 5-10 mins away for shopping - doesn't bother me. Also, I wouldn't go out for a night out locally anyway, not really one for drinking in pubs & clubbing.

Also, I'll probably always be in that bracket of society that can't quite afford the desired & trendy residential area, car, restaurant, house etc. It doesn't bother me as those things aren't that important to me.

How is it a dump? From what I've seen, from driving around in the car, it seems to be a nice enough area, but are there other problems I wouldn't know from a cursory glance? But if there are specific reasons that make it a dump, I'd rather know now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heidipj

Hi Mink,
    Congrats on your decision!
    Although I do my big grocery shops out of Kilcock there are good stores locally especially our local butchers. Some people might not get it ;) but as you probably know if you make an effort to find out about the place you move into you'll often not discover some great local stuff. There is actually a suprising number of local businesses in Kilcock - another website you might like to check out is http://kilockbusiness.ie :)
    And while I prefer Kilcock to Maynooth personally, Maynooth is a good town too - and you're only 5 mins away from there.
    Anyhoo - enjoy your move!
    Heidi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jacobs_Stripe

Hey all..

I am looking at houses in Kilcock in the new build estates and also along Connaught street.. just wondering what these areas are like and if any of the new estates/Connaught street are prone to flooding?

I checked floodinfo.ie but thought it would be best to hear from the locals first hand?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its easy label any small Irish town "a dump" but while Kilcock is small as a commercial centre there is a steady increase in housing estates which can only create a demand and develop facilities. Its up to the individuals to get involved locally whether its sports, music, art groups, choirs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think Kilcock will go from strength to strength. I grew up there (but went to school in Maynooth). It used to be a quiet fairly rural town, albeit full of derelict buildings, but then a huge influx of undesirables from certain parts of Dublin moved in and for a while it was quite rough (including gun murders). People would do anything to try and get their kids into the secondary school in Maynooth as the kilcock one was a total nightmare. The train station was always vandalised...playground too.

However in the last 10 years lots of nice young families have moved in and it’s on the up. There’s are some great cafes there so busy you can’t even get a seat (pre covid), and the canal to walk along. There’s also a lovely sense of community spirit - good Patrick’s day parade etc.
    Transport options to Dublin aren’t great (Dublin bus left and trains aren’t that frequent) but hopefully that will change in the coming years.
    You are close to Maynooth for your social life if that important, but there are a couple of half decent bars. Restaurants never seem to last but again I think that will change. I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Its still a kip hence the prices v Maynooth.

Check for historical flooding wherever your buying and check again.

Also some of the new developments are a fair walk from the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hey all..

I am looking at houses in Kilcock in the new build estates and also along Connaught street.. just wondering what these areas are like and if any of the new estates/Connaught street are prone to flooding?

I checked floodinfo.ie but thought it would be best to hear from the locals first hand?

TIA

There are large threads for both Ledwill Park and for Millerstown within the A&P forum If you have a look, including extensive discussion around flooding and millerstown. :)

Its still a kip hence the prices v Maynooth.

Check for historical flooding wherever your buying and check again.

Also some of the new developments are a fair walk from the village.

I wouldn’t call it a kip... there are a lot of sh1thole areas much closer to Dublin and much higher priced. I agree it’s a bin run down - likely due to being passed by the motorway etc but considering the number of houses going up and people moving in, I’m sure it will improve in the next few years.

The developer has been forced to put millions into the works in millerstown so the more I look at it and the risk assessments that get done for every phase, the more satisfied it’s pretty well sorted.

Maynooth itself is way overpriced for new build. 435k for a tiny three bed without room outside to swing a cat is over the top in my book given it’s still 20kms from Dublin City. At the end of the day Maynooth is only a 6 or 7 min spin down the road from kilcock and the train frequency will increase with the dart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement