Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand laptop problems.

• 26-02-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I recently got a laptop from a company that was closing down and before they handed it over they erased all company info from it. When I started it up I noticed that there's a lot of folders, fies and programes where their label is in blue not the usual black, even the label for the C: drive is in blue. Everything seems to work fine, so far but I am wondering what the blue label means and can I simply delete them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

They are probably compressed. Right click the folder or drive, and go to Properties > General > Advanced and you'll see it.

To be honest, normally I would do a clean install on any 2nd hand machine I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Sounds like they didn't erase it properly! I wonder is that the off line folders the OP is seeing. dont they turn blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Thanks for the qick reply.

A clean install, do you mean wipe the drive and install a new OS and go from there?

A clean install, do you mean wipe the drive and install a new OS and go from there?

If you have the installation media then its no harm to reinstall it.

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Sounds like they didn't erase it properly! I wonder is that the off line folders the OP is seeing. dont they turn blue?

The lap top was periodically connected to a network, could it be reminants left over from that?

• Advertisement

The lap top was periodically connected to a network, could it be reminants left over from that?

Yes probably.

If you have the installation media then its no harm to reinstall it.

No I didn't get anything with other than a power cord. Could I get what I need on ebay or wherever for small money or is it a case of digging deep to MS and but a new OS

Yes probably.

Assuming thats the case I imagine it's ok then to simply erase.

To be honest if you don't have the installation media then I'd leave it as it is. Of course you could buy a copy of XP online but it's up to you.
    The laptop should work fine and in fairness the company should have wiped it before handing it over to someone.

Advertisement