Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

import rifle from states??

Options
  • 26-02-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

is it still possible to import a secondhand rifle from the Us and if so how do I go about it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

i looked into it a while ago and it turned out to be tricky as hell. not only do you need a dealer here who's willing to forego their markup, but you'll have to find someone in the states who can export firearms (not an over abundance). On top of that you'll get nailed by coustoms for excise and then you pay vat on the value of the firearm plus the excise. i think i would have saved about 100 euros after all the bumf. in the end didnt go through with it cos of the hassle and you wont get a warrenty worth talking about. mayby someone else has a better experience, if they do, i'd love to hear their proceadure as you cant beat the deals over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's not that hard.if you DIY it.you dont need a dealer for this as it is outside the EU.
    Basically you need to find your gun,in the US.
    Get a downer on it and arrange for it to be shipped to a State Dept cleared FFL dealer who can ship outside CONUS.A normal FFL gun dealer CANNOT ship outside the CONUS,as all firearms transactions have to be State Dept cleared.Simple as.
    Once you have located the FFL dealer with that paperwork,I recommend ETSS in Littleton,Colarado.As they handle small ,individual transactions and are well used to dealing with it on an individual basis,and are well up on the current legislation in the US on sending firearms abroad..

You ,apply here in the usual way for your firearm liscense.Wait patiently for 90 plus days to see wether you have been granted or not.
    If it is;Go to the Gardai and get a certified,Garda stamped photocopy of your credit card liscense,and statement from the Gardai that it is AUTHENTIC.DO Not send your original.You wont get it back.
    Mail the documents to your FFL dealer who is handling this along with appx $200,or whichever their fee is.You will proably have some more paperwork from ITARS and the UN to fill in these days,courtsey of Mrs Clinton:mad:.Attesting that you are a good boy and wont sell this nasty gun to lads living in caves in Afghanistan to shoot American GIs or,sell it to some black gentleman who will give it to a ten year old in his country to play soilders with,or some other such BS,that Uncle Sam requires these days.:rolleyes:
    While you are at it,agree a courier company and shipping fee per air to either Dublin or Shannon to clear at customs.As those are the first airports most US Cargo airlines will deliver to.About $160.You do need that straight,as it isnt most courier companies that will handle international firearms movements.
    Almost there.... Wait patiently for max 21 days in the US for the State Dept to make up its mind and issue paperwork.once it is all clear,the FFL dealer will email you the necessary paperwork to prove you purchased ,are liscensed in Ireland and are the owner of said gun.
    Go to Shannon or Dublin airport customs shed .Bring the liscense ,paperwork of ownership,pay customs fees,go home with a new gun,and more Euros in your pocket,than if you had bought it here.:D:D
    THE END

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement