Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable TV options

Options
  • 26-02-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi just moved to Eden Gate and looking for info on the cable tv options.... can Sky be used in that area?? Thanks :confused::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Short answer.

Broadworks for cable.

Sky dish is forbidden by management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chai Latte

Thanks a million..... do you use that companyyourself ?

Lived in Eden Gate a few years ago and had no choice to use them.

They are ok. Very limited on the channel line up.

Here are a few opinions from other posters.

Lots more threads. Do a search on the main front page of boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=301510&referrerid=59211

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054901345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chai Latte

Really appreciate your help - cheers - have a great Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Lots of people in Eden Gate have sky and the dishes are only forbidden in the apartments as far as I am aware. UPC also provide a service. I would avoid Broadworks if you can, they are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Moobui wrote: »
    UPC also provide a service.

I take it that if UPC do provide a service in Eden Gate that it's through an MMDS dish which will have to be mounted on a roof....they'll look pretty out of sorts if nobody else has one! You know the ones on a tall pole with a mesh dish pointing towards Windgates?

You'd want to check the terms of your lease just to make sure, or even perhaps see if anyone else in Eden gate has one and knock on their door to see if they got hassled by the Managment Company!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I tried getting UPC when i lived there and Broadworks have the rights to the development meaning UPC cant step foot into Eden Gate.

I contacted UPC a few weeks ago. I wanted to get both tv and broadband and they told me broadband is not yet available but tv is and it's via cable, so no dish.

They told me that too and when it came to installation they contacted me that morning and said Broardworks hold the rights and they cant install it.

Was very frustrated as i booked the day off work for the installation! :mad:

We also looked into it when we moved in in 2006 and it wasn't feasible due to broadworks. It seems to have changed now. I've seen the UPC vans in the estate regularly but the neighbours I've spoken to changed to sky from broadworks as UPC wasn't available at the time. I plan on changing to UPC as soon as I find an alternative broadband provider so I'll report back when I actually book the instalation.

• Advertisement

Yes please do.

Delgany is still not on their availability checker.

Broadband was a huge issue when i lived there too.

Had the ripwave Irish Broadband in a box. It was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

SKY is available via a sky dish.

NTL Chorus is available via MMDS. This requires the installation of a small antenna.

Broadworks are awful and won't be around much longer according to the last residence news letter. Hopefully NTL Chorus will strike a deal and we can get decent broadband speeds (10MB+).

Depending on whether you are in the apartments or a house, the rules differ.

For the apartments, strictly no dishes, no antennas (although there are one or two people that have the MMDS antenna mounted externally but it depends on which way your balcony faces. Can you see Kindelstown Wood?).

Sky dishes and MDS antenna are allowed on houses as long as the dish is not viewable from any of the common areas.

Broadband is available via Irish Broadband and Digiweb via a roof mountable antenna. Same rules apply for the apartments (no dishes, no antennas) but again I see one or two antennas mounted off the railings or balcony wall).

The antenna mast at the top of Kindlestown wood or further away over at Bray head is what you must have clear line of site to in order to receive either digweb or Irish Broadband.

Again, Broadworks offer broadband but its a joke.

Advertisement