Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangers of Working?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I went straight from BA - research Masters. I have been told to convert to PhD next year. I teach ten hours a week (which I have to do) and then I have also a part-time job in the University. Has anyone else been overwhelmed with work that they find very little research time? I find that even if I have a two hour class in one day I am organising that class, doing it and then commuting home. It ruins the day. Weekends are my only option and by the time it comes I'm so tired that I usually do a big day on a Saturday and end up organising classes on the Sunday. I applied to the IRCHSS which would help, but I honestly doubt I'll get it.. With an academic year just done I feel like I've got a structure on my topic, and know exactly what I'm doing, but do not have the time to friggin do it! Anyone else in a similar situation? Having read two-three main texts is not enough after one year... But I have been doing a cert in tutoring along with everything else.

Will Summer be any better? Boo!

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

Snap! I am in exact same position. Working to study but because I am working I don't have time to study:( Been trying to do it for the last 2 and a half years and it doesn't work. Unless you are living at home or on a scholarship it is very difficult to do. Not impossible, but very difficult.

You need dedicated periods of time to get down to it and because of work, the deadline of the PhD is always the one that is furtherest away.

I have decided to go down the route of publications. Smaller projects with more achievable goals.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Story of every grad students life, including (shamefully) those of us on funding. I would be very surprised to hear of an experience unlike yours. I'm at the same stage as the poster just below you, started without a masters so ended up doing a few taught modules, a teaching cert (which was required), taking my three classes a week without any clue of the amount of prep involved, opting for further teaching experience, going off on tangents etc.

I have probably said this on other threads, but my supervisor always says a phd is an apprenticeship to a trade, and employers favour the ones with the broadest experience (of course a completed thesis and publications also matter). The trade involves more than research, so dont feel as if it is time wasted - academic jobs involve research, reading and writing but also teaching, superivision, administration, professional services including paper reviewing/editing, and management roles within representative bodies/societies - areas prospective employers both within and outside academia like to see.

When the time comes, 'the fear' will take over and you will get it done :) I'm doing more in a week than I did in the past two years these days with deadlines looming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe you should talk to your supervisor about restructuring how you're currently working. I took a loan out to pay for this year, and think about working but I am getting a decent amount of work done and hope to have the first chapter drafted by August- taking a job would just slow that down. Not trying to be smart or rub anyone's nose in it, but I think everyone has a choice between getting the research done as fast/intensely as possible and possibly stretching it out over more time because of other commitments. If you're doing ok money-wise from you jobs and getting some research done, then you aren't wasting your time. But I think there are only 3 options; work, get a loan, or get funding. Even that last one is not without its drawbacks, I have a friend on the IRCHSS and he has to do lots of progress reports and other stuff that he hadn't counted on.

As regards teaching, I love it and that's one of the reasons I am going down this path, but the reality is that colleges are more interested in Phds, and publications even more so. PhDs and publications are what colleges are rated on in the various league tables. Therefore, more often than not, colleges are less interested in your teaching experience or how good you are at it. Mores the pity, because if it was rated on teaching ability there would be a lot of senior lecturers who would be very quickly out of a job. :)

As far a loan, I have often thought about it, but the reality is that I could never afford the repayments for a one year loan, let alone a 3 year loan. And given the way things are now there is no way the bank would be on for it. I only wish that this country had the low interest, long term student loans system. I have no problem paying for my education but I don't want to be crippled by interest.

As far a loan, I have often thought about it, but the reality is that I could never afford the repayments for a one year loan, let alone a 3 year loan. And given the way things are now there is no way the bank would be on for it. I only wish that this country had the low interest, long term student loans system. I have no problem paying for my education but I don't want to be crippled by interest.

I might be misinterpreting you, but its possible to chose when you want to start paying the bank back, plus I got my loan a few months ago without any problems, its not like the banks have just completely locked down.

• Advertisement

Brian, did you get a loan to cover expenses for one year, or for more such as three years? None of the banks I spoke to would consider postponing repayments for three years, plus the interest accured would be massive.

Its to cover the first year.

I know that I could get money for one year, but I wouldn't be able to finish my PhD in 1 year, which means that I after a year I would be back to square one with a loan to pay off and even less time to study. That's how I have been looking at it. Maybe I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Thank god I'm not in the same boat here! My research has a good structure to it. I think I have a good central question, a clear methodology and a good time schedule - it's all a matter of doing the work now!

I was talking to a colleague who got her PhD a few years ago and she said that most Universities are now looking at other skills, so you're right there. Having a PhD is great, but if you are a good administrator and a good teacher you're multi-skilled and will get the job over other candidates. Not that that's what I'm after... I'm doing this crazy degree for love of the subject, not for the job prospects or money. If I was into that I'd have left college years ago and got a job in my Dad's company.

I'm on funding.. but it's more of a working scholarship (fees, a small stipend + money up front for tutorials during the academic year).

To be honest, I love teaching and administrating. I love research but I think that if I got rid of too much I'd get very isolated and lonely. I think I need that escape too. Just wish I had it all blocked off - two days of teaching/ other work and three/four days of researching and a day off (if there is such a thing!).

My supervisor knows that I'm in this situation but insists to just go on with it for this year and to cut down next year. I'm very open and honest with how much work I've done and I think he's happy that I'm learning other things.

I did, after all, apply to the IRCHSS which took over my life for around two months. Thank god that's over! I won't be getting it but it was a really good way to learn structure. I have all my timeline stuff printed out and on my wall.

This year, I gotta say I've done a tutoring certificate, a generic skills module, taught two full modules, taught 10 hours a week and did a bit of admin and applied to the IRCHSS. I suppose I can't be too hard on myself.

At this rate I'll be done in 2020. See you guys in ten years! I'll be the one re-drafting my first thesis chapter.

Advertisement