Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I Use 2 Broadband Modem/Routers?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm just in the process of changing my broadband/home phone provider as I've got a higher potential speed for a cheaper price (changing from 1MB to 7MB). I already have a wireless modem/router from my current/old provider and this morning I received a new wireless modem/router from my new provider.

Now, my house is a bungalow and where I normally have the current router sited (at the phone point in the kitchen) means that I can't get a good wireless signal at the other end of the house (in the bedroom/study). To get a good signal here, I have to move the router, but that's a pain in the a&$e, then when I next want to use it in the kitchen or sitting room, I have to move it back again.

My question is this; can I connect both routers up to the same landline at once, at opposite ends of the house (I have a phone point in the bedroom, so that's not an issue)? If I can connect them both, what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? Are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for; would it be a waste of time; or is it the best idea ever, and you don't know why you never thought of it yourself :P?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Only one modem can be connected at a time, there are ways of extending your wireless but its highly unlikely that the old modem will be any use for that.

You'd need to post the make and model of your gear for a better answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If only one is switched on at a time, then yes, you can do this. You could also give both the same SSID and password, which would make things easier for the computer to connect. Just make sure only one is active at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Thanks for those replies. It looks like I can only have 1 at a time operating, then. I suppose I'll just have to get my finger out and pull a phone cable to the middle of the house, then, to ensure wireless access all over the house.

It was worth a try, though. ;)

Advertisement