Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sellotanta Sports Cup St pats vs Linfield

• 26-02-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Footballs back ! :D

7:35 live on Sellotanta.

Irish Times

EMMET MALONE

PETE MAHON is hoping to have an almost full-strength squad to choose from as St Patrick’s Athletic take on Linfield in the Setanta Cup at Richmond Park (7.35) this evening.

The Dubliners, who kick off their league campaign at home to Galway United next week, have doubts about a handful of players, most of them defenders, but Mahon is hoping that Conor Kenna, Ian Bermingham, Shane Guthrie and Derek Pender all shake off knocks, leaving only the cup-tied Brian Cash on the sidelines.

“It’s a great way to start the season for us,” says Mahon. “I watched them the other night and they’re the best team in the Irish League in my opinion. We want to do well in this competition because it’s important to us but it will also be a good opportunity for us to get an idea of where we are a week before the start of the league.”

BBC

David Jeffrey offers his backing for Setanta Sports Cup

David Jeffrey says the Setanta Cup should continue in some form
    Linfield manager David Jeffrey says a way must be found to retain the Setanta Sports Cup on the footballing calendar.

Linfield travel to face St Patrick's Athletic on Friday night (1935 GMT).

"I think a way has to be found to retain the competition. It would be a crying shame if it went to the wall," Jeffrey told the Linfield FC website.

"I'm not sure in what format it should be maintained. The problem the competition has is the two competing seasons in the two parts of Ireland."

"There may be an advantage for us in terms of playing games now but then there will be an advantage for teams down south if they were playing in say the August period.

"What we have to do is ensure the competition doesn't disrupt our own domestic season."

Jeffrey added that JP Gallagher will not feature in the St Pat's game in Dublin on Friday and that he will "have to look at a few other possible changes".

"I need to keep everyone fresh but I won't be using a rotation policy.

"However, I will have to use the full depth of the squad with a heavy fixture schedule ahead.

"We will use players with the aim of winning every game. We are not going to fulfil a fixture in Dublin, we are going to Dublin with the strongest squad available to us, taking into account that one or two players may be in need of a rest.

"The Setanta Cup is very important to us - we have a proud record in this competition."

Linfield chairman Jim Kerr had described the competition as "dead in the water" following Derry City's expulsion after they went into administration.

The tournament was dealt another blow earlier this week with the news that Cork City had been wound up in the High Court.

Would take a draw now tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sample Herald headline:

Hun Dogs of War/March on Inchicar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Defintley have marching in it somewhere.

Hopefully Saints march to victory :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Another fun night in Inchicore?

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/291331/

For the craic, the guard should purposely turn that lad's head so the blood drips on his Stone-Island tag.

Another fun night in Inchicore?

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/291331/

thats day time :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Early kick off on a saturday perhaps? Pre match arrest in the summer? I dono?

Enjoyed that, wasnt a great game to watch but some tasty tackles and a decent goal. they co9uld have raped us in the 1st half but we battled back, thankfully we ont play a team as good or nasty as that until we play bohs.

Seen a linfield fan fall over drunk outside our club shop, 2 garda had to help him up ****ing riot it was he nearly fell over again then they sat him on the kerb and it was a mad riot ,then he stood up. mad ****. Wonder how the Indo will spin that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Welcome to Your Capital :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

As long as they sang songs about being part of Britain and Pats found some new fans singing republican cráp about Ireland then alls good.So how was the game ? :D

d22ontour wrote: »
    As long as they sang songs about being part of Britain and Pats found some new fans singing republican cráp about Ireland then alls good.So how was the game ? :D

we had fans in celtic jerseys that i have never seen before or will again.

Strange how Linfield brings out the retards in Dublin. my only gripe with them is they are durty filthy bastards on the pitch. We gave as good as we got but having Mulcahy and Byrne in the middle that was a given :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Linfield fans brought French jerseys with them and were chanting Thierry Henry's name!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Linfield fans brought French jerseys with them and were chanting Thierry Henry's name!!

heh we chanted Shane Duffy in taveys, tekkit!!!:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have to laugh at Linfield one min the hate the Setanta Cup and call it dead in the water and want to leave it. The next they love it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/8537252.stm

How much do the eventual winners get? Is it worth it?

stovelid wrote: »
    How much do the eventual winners get? Is it worth it?

course its worth it, we draw with them away and both of us tru to semis but not vs each other, i predict a golden handshake in belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

dreamers75 wrote: »

Those photos are dated April 2008!!

Advertisement