Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treadmill and lower back fatigue.

• 26-02-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

I need a bit of advice folks. I've started lately to try running on the treadmill. I've avoided it for years in preference to the Concept2/Cross trainer/Bike. But getting bored with these I decided to try the treadmill again.

I remember now why I never kept it up. I've found that after about 5mins my lower back gets very fatigued, and I have to walk for a bit to let the Lactic acid subside before continuing. I have tried to alter my posture and running style to no avail.

Is this something I just have to train through to build up stamina in that area?

Nate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeterMc9

Stiffness/soreness in lower back?
    I used to have the same problem. I do a 5min warmup jog now, then lots of stretching, particularly for my hamstrings, then I don't have a problem.
    was in a rush a few weeks back and skipped the stretches, had to stop running after 10mins.

May work for you also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pokerpro

Hi,
    I had the exact same problem - it wasnt a pain but felt almost like muscle cramp/very tired muscle. Heres how i solved it.

1. Strech for 10-15 mins every evening - Hamstrings, Hips and lower back
    2 Do some light lower back excercise each day.

I did this for a week then tired running again on the threadmill and ran for 20 mins

Hope this helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Thanks Lads. Perhaps I should have pointed out that I do 20-30 mins stretching beforehand anyway. But the Warmup jog then stretching sounds like something to try.

I'll persevere and see how I get on.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

just to be clear, is your back fatigued or burning (lactic)?

I'm not a fan of stretching cold muscles. I would be more inclinded to start slowly and gradually build up speed. Flexibility work afterwards. Do you have shoes that are correct for your gait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

My shins used to get sore very quickly on the treadmill until a friend told me to add a small incline (5 degrees or so).
    I have no idea of the 'science' behind this but it helped. Maybe someone here know why this worked or if it will also work for your back? (apologies if this post is totally irrelevant to your particular complaint)

• Advertisement
Advertisement