Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC cuts

• 26-02-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

I don't know how popular BBC radio 6 is in Ireland but it's been announced it's to go today and I for one am sad. Adam and Joe were the highlight of my Saturday mornings and their podcasts made me laugh over and over again. "Adam and Joe said" was a refrain to drive my friends to distraction. I'm also quite annoyed and concerned that it seems to be part of a wider BBC bending over, caving in to the Murdochs. The Times reports

"Mark Thompson, the Director-General, will admit that the corporation, which is funded by the £3.6 billion annual licence fee, has become too large and must shrink to give its commercial rivals room to operate."

This seems a response to a speech Murdoch junior gave last year, which was unmitigated tripe. Can anyone imagine Sky ceding any ground for the good of competitors. The BBC has become a coward, bowing to mob fury.

The "cap on spending on broadcast rights for sports events of 8.5 per cent of the licence fee, or about £300 million." Who will that benefit? Not the viewer, if Sky snaps up the cheaper pickings. Most worringly, reports suggest this is an attempt to sweeten the imminent arrival of a Tory government.

I really think this is a sad day for broadcasting. The BBC is self-censorsing itself into tepid irrelevance. We need a Chris Morris and we need him now.

Advertisement