Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga - Week 24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

redout wrote: »
    Ibra has more goals this season for Barca so far than Berba had in the whole of last season for United. Thats not bad considering he just came out of a near 2 month goal drought. Kryogen I agree that I see many similarities between the two.
    Ibrahimovic is playing as the main striker for the best attacking side in the world in a free-scoring league. Even Paul Dickov would have bagged a load of goals in the same position.

Ibra has more goals this season for Barca so far than Berba had in the whole of last season for United. Thats not bad considering he just came out of a near 2 month goal drought. Kryogen I agree that I see many similarities between the two. Thing is Berba just doesnt show them as much.

Berbatov would be suited to the Spanish game for sure.

Iniesta post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »
    40m better ?

No. I think both were over priced.

No way Berba was worth £30m nor Ibra €69m.

Malaga have had a few half chances for a goal, not over.

1 - 1

GOAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Malaga have had a few half chances for a goal, not over.

boom

1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ibra has more goals this season for Barca so far than Berba had in the whole of last season for United. Thats not bad considering he just came out of a near 2 month goal drought. Kryogen I agree that I see many similarities between the two. Thing is Berba just doesnt show them as much.

the difference in the leagues cannot be underestimated though

Barca have averaged what? 3 goals a game at home this season?

the defending just isnt as good in la liga, its a more attacking league and Barca are set up perfectly to allow strikers to score freely

hardly surprising he gets more goals

screw that for a second

jesus christ that could be an important goal

poor defending (symptomatic of la liga ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Now lets see what Barca can do with 10 minutes to go. Nice finish btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well Fack it anyway. Need to pull this from the fire.

what a goal

great ball from Xavi

that goal was a work of art :D

Now lets see what Barca can do with 10 minutes to go. Nice finish btw

There is the answer, 3 minutes to respond

That was beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Who scored?

That goal was an example of what Barca do regularly that Real Madrid cannot.

JPA wrote: »
    Who scored?
    Messi, Alves with the assist.

Ibrahimovic gets a tap-in. 3-1

What was wrong with that?

• Advertisement

disallowed

not sure i agree with that decision

i dont actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

that was funny.

goooooooooooooooooooooooooo. tap on the shoulder, no goal mate.

I am not sure that I agree with the decision, but I understand why it was given. It could be argued that he prevented the clearance

Nothing wrong with that.

Malaga would have been better off if they never scored.

Nothing wrong with that.

Malaga would have been better off if they never scored.

how does that even make a little bit of sense?

That God for that, and Messi. Ugly win.

This league hinges on the Clasico I'd say.

kryogen wrote: »
    how does that even make a little bit of sense?
    Once they scored they just lost their heads and stopped defending.

Replay

Did Messi look offside ?

For his goal is it? Hardly?

Once they scored they just lost their heads and stopped defending.

right, but they were already losing by 1 goal, and they lost the game by 1 goal so.......what???

• Advertisement

There is a difference in the leagues but as regards defending as you say I dont believe that to be so.

Although I have not seen the figures for this season compared to last I would presume they have scored less than last season.

the defending just isnt as good in la liga, its a more attacking league and Barca are set up perfectly to allow strikers to score freely

Common misconception tbh. I dont see any evidence of this and I shall prove it. Following is a list of total goals scored/conceded in both leagues over the past 5 seasons. Apart from last season when Barca went on a goal rage and banged in 105 in the league and like 160 total I dont see any major difference in the figures.

08/09
    EPL - 942
    LIGA - 1101

07/08
    EPL - 1002
    LIGA - 1016

06/07
    EPL - 931
    LIGA - 942

05/06
    EPL - 944
    LIGA - 936

04/05
    EPL - 975
    LIGA - 980

Still so confident about saying that now ?

Myth dispelled

gimmick wrote: »
    For his goal is it? Hardly?

Ok I have watched it again and am convinced Messi is offside.

12630405.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ok I have watched it again and am convinced Messi is offside.

12630405.jpg

Messi isn't active there redout? He becomes active when Dani Alves passes him the ball, and at the that point Dani is further ahead of him, so Messi isn't off side. I'll post my opinions on the game later, it was essentially just a day where everything went against us.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Messi isn't active there redout? He becomes active when Dani Alves passes him the ball, and at the that point Dani is further ahead of him, so Messi isn't off side. I'll post my opinions on the game later, it was essentially just a day where everything went against us.

Need to acquaint myself with the new rules. It use to be just being in an offside position done it. Does anyone have a link to the new rules please ?

Need to acquaint myself with the new rules. It use to be just being in an offside position done it. Does anyone have a link to the new rules please ?

Well it's a grey area, because I remember the exact same thing happening with a Gudjohnsen goal against Wereder Bremen back in 2006/2007, he was in an offside position, but because he was deemed walking back he was seen as inactive, but as soon as someone made a run into the box he received the ball and put it in the net. Sky did a big bit of analysis on it too, talking about those new rules..

Just looked over the rules on the FIFA website.

Very grey area indeed.

Not sure how good/fair that is tbh.

Messi although not active at first still obviously is ahead of the defender and gains an advantage when moving forward to run onto Alves pass by virtue of being ahead of the defender in the first place when the initial ball was played through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I thought Messi's goal was offside, tbh. If the ref/lino is using a strict interpretation of the rules, then fair enough.

What was wrong with Zlatan's goal? I've watched it a few times and don't see what was wrong.

What was wrong with Zlatan's goal? I've watched it a few times and don't see what was wrong.

The ref said there was a push.

The ref said there was a push.

very harsh wasnt it

but when things arent really going your way those decisions go against you it seems

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eZe^ wrote: »
    Sky did a big bit of analysis on it too, talking about those new rules..

Ah yes, those new rules, only implemented for what 5, 6, 7 years now? :)

Messi's goal is a perfectly good one, imo. The pass is so good that only Messi reacts to Alves and no defenders do. He probably does well to stay behind the ball.

Sevilla lineup:
    Palop; Stankevicius, Fazio, Drago, Adriano, Navas, Romaric, Renato, Perotti, Acosta, Kanouté

Bilbao lineup:
    Iraizoz; Iraola, San José, Amorebieta, Castillo; Gurpegui, Javi Martínez, Iturraspe, Gabilondo, Llorente, De Marcos

Barcelona suffering from a Champions League hangover by the looks of it.

Ibrahimovic misses a sitter.
    Barca feeling the pressure redout?

what happened? how is the league so close? i thought Barca had a pretty decent lead a while back, distinctly remember someone saying that the league was over and that they wouldnt lose it from the position they were in?

im asking genuinely, i havent seen much la liga in the last 3-4 months

It's a strange phenomena my friend. Real Madrid are like Manchester United domestically, they are a team very good at consistently getting results and being ruthlessly efficient even if they sometimes play horribly. Sometimes it looks like teams already feel 3-0 down before a ball has been kicked, psychologically they are spot on. It started with the Capello era, where they were absolutely dire, but won all their last 13 games either 3-2, 4-3, 2-1, or 1-0.

They have a belief about them. It's not even down to Galactico MK II signings (they obviously injected alot of quality into the side, but my point is irrespective of that). Under Juande Ramos last season, I remember they went on a ridiculous run for about 16 games, where they only dropped 2 points, when they feel they are in with a shout for the title, they'll get results. They only trailed off in the end because they were decimated at the Bernabeu by Barca. It'll be an interesting title race mate, and it wouldnt be surprising at all to see Barca lose out in the end to Real.

Another sitter Ibrahimovic.
    Headshot wrote: »
    How did Ibra miss that
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Ibra should have buried that header, artist or not :p
    Well, he's had a stinker today.

Pedro saves the day 1-0

I've never in my entire life see a player get as much stick as Ibrahimovic gets. 4 times people in this thread exclaimed he missed a sitter. One was a header that the keeper tipped over the cross bar, and the other was when he busted his ass and his entire 6.5 foot frame missed the ball by inches. You'd swear he was tee'd up perfectly and blazed it over the cross bar, if anything you should be giving out to whoever made the pass. I'd say 80% of football supporters think he is a waste of space, so I don't understand how anyone in their right mind would call him overrated. People also blame HIM for his transfer fee, as if it's his fault that Barca paid 40 million euro for him.
    Berba is very consistent when playing though

his goal scoring ratio to games started this year is impressive even though he is being nursed along with an injury

very similar styles of play and touch alright

I don't think they are similar really. Berbatov has a much more laboured lackadaisical side. What they have in common is they are both big, like to hold the ball up, and have a good first touch. I personally think Zlatan is significantly in every department, as he has the ability to inject that bit of urgency in his game. It's like comparing Anekla to Henry, one is excellent, the other is magic.

I do feel he is kind of being discouraged by the talent that surrounds him at Barca, at Inter he relished the fact that he was the man. At Barca he seems to be a bit too conscious of his team mates - he has layed the ball off back into midfield instead of taking on a shot far too much. At Inter he'd be working the keeper with his powerful strikes, now he seems to feel obligated to give the ball to Iniesta/ Messi/ Xavi in the hope that they'll provide him with a tap in.
    Ibrahimovic is playing as the main striker for the best attacking side in the world in a free-scoring league. Even Paul Dickov would have bagged a load of goals in the same position.

Watch Rooney's goals this season for Man United, the amount of times Valencia/ Evra has provided him with an inch perfect cross is ridiculous. To simply say for Barca it's easier to score than at another club is ignorant. Plenty of talented strikers have failed to adapt to Barca's team despite being surrounded by Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Ronaldinho. Look at Saviola and Gudjohnsen from the past 6 years for proof.

screw that for a second

jesus christ that could be an important goal

Seriously, don't fall into the stupid British Isles status quo with their views that the defending in La Liga is sh*t compared to the great honourable premier league. The style of play may be set up to be more fluid in an attacking sense, but as you can see from Redout's stats, it's misconception. And that's because you generally only see the likes of Madrid/ Barca play in La Liga, whereas you'd take more of an active interest in the EPL, as well as having more access to it (MOTD etc), so you might be inclined to watch Fulham vs Wolves.

Barring Revista De La Liga, people here will in general have no idea about other La Liga results (outside of the big guns). Also, watch a team like Deportivo play football, you'll want to gouge your eyes out at how horribly physical and limited they can be in attack. In general the smaller teams have players more attacking creativity among their players in comparison to their English counter parts, but this perceived 'attractive style' doesn't necessarily contribute to more goals being scored - again, Redout's stats prove that.

I guarantee that if you only watched Arsenal and Manchester United play in the PL then you'd think the defending in England was bad, because they are just quality teams who are capable of scoring 3+ goals against the majority of teams in the league.

On the Barca match - I thought it was actually an excellent game of football, and I thought it was brilliant to have Dani Alves back. The game highlighted how vitally important it is for Barca to have attack minded fullbacks, ESPECIALLY if Iniesta is played wide left (i know he wasnt). When the fullbacks bomb up the pitch and overlap with the wingers, they draw defenders out of position so that Messi/ Pedro had more space.

It's what we lacked against Stuttgart/ Atletico Madrid, it's so much easier to defend against Iniesta and Messi on the wings when you know the fullbacks behind them wont be bombing into the space behind you. Maxwell had his best performance for Barca so far, and looked an able replacement for a fantastic Abidal.

Don't get the Ibrahimovic stick either, at the start of the Stuttgart game midweek he misplaced most his touches and lay offs, but after half time he sharpened up with play. He continued that last night, he didnt get caught in possession like he has been regularly over the past few weeks, his lay offs were effective, he worked hard tracking back (on a number of occasions), had a perfectly good goal disallowed, and was heavily involved in most of Barca's attacks. The only sitter he had he scored, I remember one excellent looping header (like Rooney's today against Aston Villa), that was cleared off the time, one header the keeper tipped over the bar, and one opportunity he would have scored had be been 7 foot tall. Way too harsh on Zlatan lads, still though, it'll be all the sweeter when he proves the doubters wrong. Thought Messi/ Iniesta were much more disappointing, they tried to do far too much with the ball at times, over complicating every move.

Also @ Redout - the reason Zlatan gets so much power in his shots is because he is double jointed, so he can hyper extend his knee getting that extra bit of oomph on the ball. Couple that with the fact he's 6 foot 5, so he can strike the ball with alot of momentum. There's a really good picture of his double jointedness here;

Ibrahimovic2R_468x360.jpg

It's why he's extremely flexible for a giant, and why his shots can be this powerful. :P

Anyway, done with sticking up for Zlatan, even though I do love the guy. :P hahah... Delighted with the 3 points, but again, Real Madrid look like a formidable beast in La Liga. I've always admired how consistent they can be in La Liga despite being sh*te in Europe, recently they are like the mirror image of Liverpool FC. :p It's like their amazing history has struck fear into La Liga teams, but in Europe they seem neutered at times. (Although I reckon they are quite capable of winning the CL this year)

(again, apologies for spelling/ grammatical errors in my posts, im aware it makes the read more frustrating, i just can't type as quickly as i think :P :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Great post eZe^

oh eZe that so called header was going over the bar anyway, just the keeper made sure of it

How much ?

97150737.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5A5E375263978AEBDE87AC06038ABF9072AF64495B0D605AD

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Great post eZe^

Cheers Laura. :P

Ibrahimovic gets so much criticism because so many people (plus many on here) seem to think he's the best striker in the world.

Anyway, Sevilla are playing Bilbao now. Had a man sent off for a tackle that was barely a yellow.

Palop is having a great game for Sevilla. I find it hard to see this game finishing with no goals

Ibrahimovic gets so much criticism because so many people (plus many on here) seem to think he's the best striker in the world.

Anyway, Sevilla are playing Bilbao now. Had a man sent off for a tackle that was barely a yellow.

I think another misconception is that many perceive him to be a striker.

Newsflash: He aint

I always considered him a centre forward. There is a difference between the two.

Atleti lineup:
    De Gea; Valera, Perea, Ujfalusi, Antonio López; Tiago, Assunçao, Reyes, Simao; Forlán, Agüero

Valencia lineup:
    César; Miguel, Marchena, Dealbert, Alexis; Banega, Fernandes, Joaquín, Mata, Silva; Villa

• Advertisement
Advertisement