Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cisco router - disable ssid broadcast

• 26-02-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just had chorus bb installed.
    For the life of me I can't find the option to disable the broadcast of my ssid?
    I've looked all over the menus and can't find it, I've set up wireless as before except for ssid broadcast.

Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know but it's a waste of time anyway and contrary to popular belief doesn't make your network any more secure.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Alun wrote: »
    Don't know but it's a waste of time anyway and contrary to popular belief doesn't make your network any more secure.

To someone casually looking for a network it does. If there's a list with one unsecured, I'd hop on it. If I don't see it, I won't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

You do know your ssid is your network name and nothing to do with your security right? :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

hightower1 wrote: »
    You do know your ssid is your network name and nothing to do with your security right? :(:o

Yes yes I do, but I would like to disable broadcasting it as you can with any router usually.
    Yes it may not make a difference as someone can easily just scan and find the networks anyway, but I still want to disable the ssid broadcasting.

Now does anyone actually know how to do it, instead of critising why I'm doing it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I could have sworn I saw an option to Disable SSID broadcasting somewhere when I was having a poke around the router, but I can't find it now somehow, sorry. :/ (Maybe it was a dream)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is blantantly off-topic, but I truly hate the disable SSID "measure" that some people employ on their home networks. I've had endless hassle on 3 or 4 occasions with laptops which simply refused to cooperate with the networks if SSID was disabled.

In 2 cases the laptops were connecting to a college network which disabled the SSID by policy and one of them had to actually return the laptop to the shop as Vista refused to connect to a "hidden network" even though it was already set to connect to it and it could find it when a search was carried out.

Granted, it's not the fault of a standards-compliant router but the setting is totally superfluous and it'll still show up on a wifi search on any given laptop. Some people will also be attracted to the challenge of accessing it. The same idea as a burgler trying to access locked drawers moreso than open ones, as it's often locked for a reason

Advertisement