Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best things to do in Argentina if only there for 3 weeks

• 26-02-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Has anyone been there and what was their favourite parts/things to do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Hey I spent 3 weeks in Argentina in October 08 and there really is so much to do.

I spent the first couple of days in Buenos Aires, and I'm assuming you're flying in there so it is worth a couple of days.

I then went south to Chubút province. I stayed in Trelew. We were there mainly to go to Peninsula Valdez where there is so much wildlife. Penguins, Bull Elephant Seals, and Right Southern Whales are all there. We were really lucky that the whales came right up to the boats for the entire trip and we got to see the seals fight and mate (As wrong as it sounds, they're the best things you can see them do apparently). We also went to Punta Tumba, one of the largest penguin colonies in the world, which really left me speechless, but I do love them.

The Trelew area also has a strong Welsh influence and it has the largest, probably only, Welsh speaking community outside of Wales, which didn't appeal to me much, but it didn't take away from the trip!

Then we went north to Iguazu Falls which is a definite MUST. Its the longest fall in the world and the views are incredibly spectacular. You can also see it from the Brazilian and Argentinian side, and it is completely different on both sides so if you go there you have to do both. There is also a point where the borders of Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil meet.

We then finished the trip in Buenos Aires.

Loads of people I've spoken to recommend Salta and Mendoza, the glacial and wine regions. I'm planning on going back there to see them next summer.

It really depends on what you want, Argentina really has so much to offer. You can definitely fit what I done comfortably in three weeks, but I'm not sure about the rest.

The only problem is is that you can only fly around the country on Aerolineas Argentinas and they are notoriously expensive to foreigners, and your only real option is to fly.

No matter what you do, have a great time! Hope the post was helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Hey I spent 3 weeks in Argentina in October 08 and there really is so much to do.

I spent the first couple of days in Buenos Aires, and I'm assuming you're flying in there so it is worth a couple of days.

I then went south to Chubút province. I stayed in Trelew. We were there mainly to go to Peninsula Valdez where there is so much wildlife. Penguins, Bull Elephant Seals, and Right Southern Whales are all there. We were really lucky that the whales came right up to the boats for the entire trip and we got to see the seals fight and mate (As wrong as it sounds, they're the best things you can see them do apparently). We also went to Punta Tumba, one of the largest penguin colonies in the world, which really left me speechless, but I do love them.

The Trelew area also has a strong Welsh influence and it has the largest, probably only, Welsh speaking community outside of Wales, which didn't appeal to me much, but it didn't take away from the trip!

Then we went north to Iguazu Falls which is a definite MUST. Its the longest fall in the world and the views are incredibly spectacular. You can also see it from the Brazilian and Argentinian side, and it is completely different on both sides so if you go there you have to do both. There is also a point where the borders of Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil meet.

We then finished the trip in Buenos Aires.

Loads of people I've spoken to recommend Salta and Mendoza, the glacial and wine regions. I'm planning on going back there to see them next summer.

It really depends on what you want, Argentina really has so much to offer. You can definitely fit what I done comfortably in three weeks, but I'm not sure about the rest.

The only problem is is that you can only fly around the country on Aerolineas Argentinas and they are notoriously expensive to foreigners, and your only real option is to fly.

No matter what you do, have a great time! Hope the post was helpful

i'd agree with above, Peninsula Valdez, Iguazu falls & Buenos Aires, i'd also highly recommend Ushuaia, Mendoza, Barioloche, San Martin de los Andes, Eqsuel and also a trip on the ferry from BA over to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguary is well worth it, a stunning town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 KavEnn

I agree with the above-BA is a fab city. We did a bicycle tour there and you really got a feel for the city. La Boca area is really BoHo and colourful. Down around the harbour there are lovely bars and restaurants-I can still taste the amazing steaks and the Malbec wine!
    Bariloche is a lovely little town and Mendosa is worth the trip if you fancy doing a wine tour. we also went Abseiling and mountain climbing there and there is lovely hot springs there, so you can soak in the naturally hot pools after a long days walk or trek.
    We also went on the day trip from BA to Colonia in Uraguay, but IMO it was a bit of a waste of a day, as the boat took hours and you were only there for 3-4 hours. But if you want the stamp on your passport, it's an option.
    The Iguazu Falls are a must and you can see them from the Angentinian side, the Brazilian side and the Paraguayian side all in one day-amazing trip.

Oh and when you are in BA, try to fit in a tango night with a tango lesson, show and dinner in one package-great fun!

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

The No.1 thing I would say to do would be go and see the Perito Moreno Glacier. With three weeks you can do a lot but not everything. Iguassu is amazing.

You could fly down to El Calafate and then fly to Mendoza and then bus back to BA. That would be a good two weeks and leave enough time to see Iguassu. Flights are not that expensive but far from cheap.

http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Argentina/Misiones/Iguazu-National-Park/blog-381907.html

http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Argentina/Santa-Cruz/El-Calafate/blog-387132.html

Advertisement