Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance- Moving to UK

Options
  • 26-02-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Any help would be greatly appreicated here.

I have never had health insurance before so I apologise if this is a stupid question.

I intend to sign up for health insurance in the next couple of weeks. I will look through the various companies (VHI, Vivas etc...) to find the best deal.

However, in May of this year I intend to relocate to the UK for work and can I carry over a health insurance policy I signed up for in Ireland, to the UK permanently? Or will I have to set up a different policy in the UK?

Also is this far more expensive than if i was just setting up a policy if i was resident in ireland??

God forbid if i got sick, id like to be treated in ireland but would like to be covered in the UK too as ill more than likely be living there.

Is there a certain policy for this scenario??

Again guys, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

hey there,

well when looking for a policy here in Ireland the majority of health insurance policies will give you emergency cover up to €100,000 for up to 180 days while you are abroad so you could have emergency cover as standard for up to 6 months, although aviva will cover you up to a max of 31 days for a single trip as far as i know,

if you are going to be abroad for more thank 6 months vhi have a global policy which will cover you for any planned treatment while you are away http://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/GlobalSalesBrochure.pdf

You could also maybe opt for BUPA international,

Hope this helps a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

im planning on going to the Uk for work in May you see

I dont have any existing health insurance here but would like to get some. I dont really want to do it through the british NHS god forbid I ever got sick

Is the international cover here across the board? Meaning if (god forbid) I got struck down by something whilst in england I could get treated over there for it? whilst paying insurance over here

• Registered Users Posts: 20 charleymax

im planning on going to the Uk for work in May you see

I dont have any existing health insurance here but would like to get some. I dont really want to do it through the british NHS god forbid I ever got sick

Is the international cover here across the board? Meaning if (god forbid) I got struck down by something whilst in england I could get treated over there for it? whilst paying insurance over here

Get onto 11811 and ask for the UK # for BUPA... Then ask them do they have a policy that covers you for "Trips" to Ireland. State that you will be based in UK but doing business that requires you to travel to Ireland.

BUPA in the UK is 100% private so none of this VHI 'private bed in a public hospital' crap. I visited a friend in the Edinburgh BUPA hospital and got an eye opener it was sooooooooooo nice. Clean freshly painted & decoraed wards, flowers, bottled water, flunkies (well ok there weren't flunkies but I expected them to arrive at any minute!)...

Advertisement