Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good schools in surrounding area's of shankill?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Due my first child in March and am currently in the process of moving to a new place in Shankill.

I know I can put baby's name down for St. Anne's (but probably won't get a place as I am not catholic) and also Rathmichael. Apart from these two schools, does anyone know of any other good options for the surrounding areas? With the incredible baby boom I'm trying to get in there and get her name down early!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

The only other school i can think of in Shankill is Scoil Mhuire (near the DART station) It tends to take most of the kids from Shanganagh/Rathsallagh area.
    Edit: its not an Irish speaking school btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

its full of knacks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

lol

I don't think I am entitled to put her name down there as it's on the "other side" of the DART line.

I know a good bit about the schools in shankill, but seeing as i won't get a place in Anne's I need some back ups to Rathmichael that are not too far from shankill and not far from public transport. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

johnstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Whichever school you choose, be sure to choose a decent one.

Call me narrow minded if you will, but choosing a school full of 'knacks' etc, will be of no benefit whatsoever to your child's education.

Even if it means travel etc in the mornings, it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

St Patrick's national school in Dalkey is excellent. It is a bit out of your area, but a lot of the kids come from the Shankill end of Killiney, so almost as far as you would have to travel.

It as an Anglican school but the Head of the board, Cannon Ben Neil is very "ecumenical" and there is a nice mix of religious and cultural backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Scoil Phadraig in Ballybrack is an excellent little Gaelscoil, run by young and enthusiastic staff, my daughter went here and loved it.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

St Johns, junction of Church Road and Wyatville Road, is another option.

Has a preschool system set up to acclimatise children going to school.

Plus the classroom sizes are smaller than most in the area, e.g. Johnstown BNS have over 40 boys in each of it's junior infant classes. St John's have less than 20

RosieJoe wrote: »
    St Johns, junction of Church Road and Wyatville Road, is another option.

Has a preschool system set up to acclimatise children going to school.

Plus the classroom sizes are smaller than most in the area, e.g. Johnstown BNS have over 40 boys in each of it's junior infant classes. St John's have less than 20

My son went here and had a lot of problems with teachers, think some of them have gone now but I wouldn't recommend it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

uch wrote: »
    My son went here and had a lot of problems with teachers, think some of them have gone now but I wouldn't recommend it

Was this recently? I presume he has moved on to secondary school now.

• Advertisement

Yep about 5 Years ago, I had to move my daughter also, this was when she joined Scoil Phadraig and excelled

21/25

Uch -- it's a pity how that happens! I went to Kill O'The Grange when I was a kid, and loved it. Half way through thye got some new teachers who were downright absuive and that ruined the experience for a few years!!

I'm not holding my breathe on small classroom sizes. With the current baby boom I have a feeling overcrowding is going to be a problem everywhere in a few years!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to look them up! Unfortunately extra travel is a big issue as when you don't drive or have a car, your whole day can be waisted n getting to and from schools on the bus!

I'm gonna sound like I have shares in Scoil Phádraig now but it's on the 45a route and has very small class sizes, when my daughter made her confirmation there was only 11 of them in the class, it has grown a bit now but only because the teachers are young and enthusiastic about their job, not just hanging around waiting for the Pension.
    Actually they have an open night around about april where you can actually talk to the pupils and get their opinions too. They normally put a sign up on the Ballybrack to Shankill road.

21/25

Unfortunately Scoil Phadraig is not as good as it was in the beginning. It's gone downhill itself I'm afraid and was supposed to move to a permanent building but this has been put off.

Do you know anyone that lives in Dalkey that would allow you to put down their address? Loretto Dalkey is a great non fee paying school but you have to live in Dalkey to get a place. Johnstown is also an excellent school but it is virtually impossible to get into if you're not from the catchment area.

You will get into either Rathmichael or St Anne's. As long as you are in the catchment area you should have no issue.

Unfortunately Scoil Phadraig is not as good as it was in the beginning. It's gone downhill itself I'm afraid and was supposed to move to a permanent building but this has been put off.

Do you know anyone that lives in Dalkey that would allow you to put down their address? Loretto Dalkey is a great non fee paying school but you have to live in Dalkey to get a place. Johnstown is also an excellent school but it is virtually impossible to get into if you're not from the catchment area.

You will get into either Rathmichael or St Anne's. As long as you are in the catchment area you should have no issue.

The OP said they are not a Catholic, so based on the experience I had with Loretto that would probably be a non runner. The first question I was asked when I rang to put my daughter's name down there was "What religion are you". I guess my accent gave away my black heart!! After the grief sister immaculate conception or whatever her name was gave me, there was no way I was going to send my child there, even though she is actually a Catholic.

St Patrick's is, in my opinion, a nicer school anyway and is 200metres from Loretto Abbey. It is an Anglican school, but runs communion classes for those wishing to take Catholic communion and it has less than 100 pupils. It ticked all the right boxes for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The OP said they are not a Catholic, so based on the experience I had with Loretto that would probably be a non runner. The first question I was asked when I rang to put my daughter's name down there was "What religion are you".

I wouldn't have thought they were allowed do that these days:confused:

I wouldn't have thought they were allowed do that these days:confused:

its a RC run school, they give priority to Catholics in Dalkey, then Catholics outside of Dalkey. Then non Catholics in Dalkey and lastly non Catholics outside of Dalkey.

St Patricks also follows similar rules, but does not follow them so strictly and there are less Anglicans so always uses its fall back allocation. It does have a very long waiting list though..

Things may have changed in the last three years though.

Fair enough, seems daft to me though.

You should have asked them what religion you are has to do with your daughter
    Then explained she hasn't decided yet and maybe the school could convince her :D:D:D

I just told her I was a Christian, which stumped her a bit. She then told me that being a protestant wasn't a "proper" religion!

The conversation didn't last much longer! I think the sister in question has since left or died or something. Needless to say she was very old skool!

Fratton fred -- your posts made me laugh!! That drives me mental, I really don't see what religion has to do with it. I am a christian, but i think the need to segregate in this way is just a giant pain in the bum!

My mum was suggesting monkstown educate together. I have a lot of friends that loved the school. Does anyone know if its close to the DART line? I think it is, but i could be wrong!

• Advertisement

The OP said they are not a Catholic, so based on the experience I had with Loretto that would probably be a non runner. .

I never thought of that!
    hacked wrote: »
    My mum was suggesting monkstown educate together. I have a lot of friends that loved the school. Does anyone know if its close to the DART line? I think it is, but i could be wrong!

It's not close to the dart I'm afraid. It is close to DLIADT at bakers corner (infact I think it's on their grounds). You could get a 7b from shankill to bakers corner but I don't know how often they go etc.

There is also "dalkey" educate together which is in Glenageary, I personally think it's an excellent school but I went there back when it opened so could be biased!!! You could get a 45A to the graduate and walk down (about 5-7 mins). But you will need to put your childs name down there almost the day it is born, infact, I would get the form and put in the application now! They are completely on a first come first served basis, doesn't matter what area you are from or whether you have siblings in the school.

There is a bray educate together also, not sure where it is but could be worth looking into?

I never thought of that!

It's not close to the dart I'm afraid. It is close to DLIADT at bakers corner (infact I think it's on their grounds). You could get a 7b from shankill to bakers corner but I don't know how often they go etc.

5 in the morning at evening at rush hour only

inbound iirc it 7, 7.10, 7.20, 7.30, 7,45 and 8.05
    outbound 5, 5.10, 5.20, 5.30, 5.50

or a 45 and 5 min walk

or a 45 and 5 min walk

forgot about the 45!
    Good call. That's just down the road.

Oh, and if you're protestant (and you are looking for a protestant school). Wyvern is in Killiney, right by Killiney Castle. Top of saval park road. Not sure how long of a walk it is from Killiney station, but wouldn't be too far.

Oh, and if you're protestant (and you are looking for a protestant school). Wyvern is in Killiney, right by Killiney Castle. Top of saval park road. Not sure how long of a walk it is from Killiney station, but wouldn't be too far.

its about 30 mins walk up a very steep hill from the Station

21/25

uch wrote: »
    its about 30 mins walk up a very steep hill from the Station

Wow, didn't realise it was that far.

Wow, didn't realise it was that far.

only 15 from Dalkey though

Wyvern is a very good school, I have two nieces there. Deansgrange school is good as well I understand.

Dalkey school project I think is the educate together school in Glenageary. Very difficult school to get into I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you are a member of another Christian faith and Rathmichael is the multi-domination school in the area they will most likely accept you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CYBER GIRL

was just wondering what the definition of a "knack" was.

I cant believe you'd refer any child by this name.
    Bit lame and a tad snobbish

I know plenty of people who went to fee paying so called "posh" schools who didnt turn out any better or worse then those in the national school next door. IN all class rooms there will be one or 2 little tear aways, reagardless of the neighbourhood or fee to go to the school

Its how your child gets on and how you help and assist your little one that matters.

Advertisement