Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

occupying older kids at stuffy social event

Options
  • 26-02-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am completely clueless in all things children but I've asked a couple of questions here before and gotten good advice.

We're getting married in 6 weeks and have a few kids coming. I'm organising face painting and the like for the younger kids during the ceremony and have little toys and games for them during the speeches. We also have a 10, 12 and 2x14 year olds coming. I'm hoping they don't mind sitting through the ceremony but I would like to give them something to entertain them during the speeches which I'm sure they won't be interested in (I know adults are often not interested either but that's another story). cheap and cheerful (the younger kids stuff came from aldi and €2 shop) would be good. For christmas and birthdays I usually buy this group books but I can't really give them books at a wedding, can I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think books will do much to reduce their boredom, they won't sit down and read them straight away.

Maybe bring along an Xbox or Wii or whatever and set it up somewhere so the older ones can feck off and play that? When I was 12 a console would easily keep four or five of us occupied for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks Seamus, I thought of that or a movie but the parents have already vetoed them being out of the room or out of sight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At my friend wedding she left a little present at the tables for each child.
    My lo was only a baby but she got a toy and the older children got games like connect 4 etc and it worked really well.

would connect4 work for a 14 year old? Little travel games like those would be ideal if they would work for that age but I thought they would be a bit old for them?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    At my friend wedding she left a little present at the tables for each child.
    My lo was only a baby but she got a toy and the older children got games like connect 4 etc and it worked really well.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks Seamus, I thought of that or a movie but the parents have already vetoed them being out of the room or out of sight.
    Well... personally I'd say let the parents entertain them then lol!!

What about Nintendo DS's with Mario cart and they can race each other (they network real easily) while in the same room.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

OH please, you're getting married. Forget about the kids. it's up to the parents to worry about their children! I know you mean well but if Junior doesn't want to listen to a speech,Tough!

Sounds like you've done more than enough.

Congrats and have a great day :-)

thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus wept, you'd think they'd be delighted to have the kids out of their hair for a few hours so they can chill out. :) Two 14 year olds are more than capable of being left on their own with a 10 and 12 year old.

The problem with having games or DS's in the room is that you'll have kids shouting and screaming, "Aha I got you!" at the top of their voice, just as someone is delivery a heartfelt and teary speech.

The best I can think of is to throw all the kids together at a table at the back of the room and get two parents to volunteer supervision and have them get puzzles or something for the kids to work on while the speeches are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

If you set up a wii or xbox somewhere the kids will not budge. I have 4 kids aged between 8 and 16 and they wouldn't even notice the room is on fire when they are gaming.

Most kids have DS's so let the parents know that you are happy for them to bring them along on the day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think it would be better not to have all the kids together when the speeches are going on. If they're at the table with their parents mam or dad can deliver a sharp dig to the ribs at the first sign of giddiness. If they're all together it could be mayhem! I would say 10, 12 and 14 year olds should be well able to keep quiet for the duration of speeches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement