Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feedback] Rant and Raving forum to go private.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

keefg's post that you quoted

Yea. Sigh.
    slan·der (slabreve.gifnprime.gifdschwa.gifr)n.1. Law Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
    2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

v. slan·dered, slan·der·ing, slan·ders
    v.tr. To utter a slander about. See Synonyms at malign.

v.intr. To utter or spread slander.

li·bel (limacr.gifprime.gifbschwa.gifl)n.1. a. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
    b. The act of presenting such material to the public.

2. The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.

tr.v. li·beled or li·belled, li·bel·ing or li·bel·ling, li·bels To publish a libel about (a person). See Synonyms at malign.

def·a·ma·tion

speaker.gif /ˌdɛfthinsp.pngəˈmeɪthinsp.pngʃən/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[def-uh-mey-shuhthinsp.pngn] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    –nounthe act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny: She sued the magazine for defamation of character.

Fair comment defence.

In order to plead fair comment, the publisher must be able to show that
    • the report was on a matter of public interest
    • the statement was a comment, rather than a fact and
    • the comment was fair, in that the belief was honestly held
    So yea Bob Zimmerman is a bollox is a fair comment as it's not being presented as anything more then opinion.

i·ro·ny

1  speaker.gif /ˈaɪthinsp.pngthinsp.pngni, ˈaɪthinsp.pngər-/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    –noun,plural-nies. 1.the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2.Literature. a.a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

b.(esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

3.Socratic irony.

4.dramatic irony.

5.an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

6.the incongruity of this.

7.an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.

8.an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Where is R & R on the dropdown menu now?
    I found the forum by clicking on keefg's profile and it seems to be under Rec but it's not coming up in the dropdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not sure how to get it on the drop down menu but when you access it through our link just subscribe to the forum under forum tools (I think). A direct link and updates will appear in your User CP. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Private fora are not on the dropdown menu, subscribe to it and then it will eb on your dropdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Just subscribed to it now :)
    Awesome-o! Thanks.

Magenta wrote: »
    Just subscribed to it now :)
    Awesome-o! Thanks.

Yeah Tar is right, R&R should be in your Subbed drop down menu now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It still appears in my standard menu under rec at top of page even though I do not have access (and dont want it...as it is not a discussion forum. If I wanted to read a blog I would go to a blog site :P ).

I am using the beta menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Where do I request access?

As I can't see Ranting & Raving in any of the drop-down menu's.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/Rants about being made private in there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Whom do i contact for access to R&R private forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/Rants about being made private in there :pac:
    Don't worry, R&R should be as lively as Spell Czechs soon. *goes back to party*

Any chance this thread could be closed? We all have messages in our sig advising people to PM us if they want access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Teddy Chips

Could I have access to this forum please?
    Cheers
    Teddy C

no objection

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Ranting and Raving is one of my favourite haunts!

Can I have access back please?

Seems like an announcement or notice would have helped judgin' by posts here, helpdesk threads, tweets, ......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

can i have access pretty please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

I need my daily fix of R&R to prove to myself I'm not the only one with "issues" Please please please can I have access?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Where is the forum now? I posted in the original thread for people who wanted access. Yesterday I was able to log into the form, but now I can't find it. It's not under Rec anymore.

Stella777 wrote: »
    Where is the forum now? I posted in the original thread for people who wanted access. Yesterday I was able to log into the form, but now I can't find it. It's not under Rec anymore.

If you access the forum from my mod link, under forum tools choose the option subscribe to this forum. Once you've done that R&R will appear on your "Subbed" drop down menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Can I have access please? I miss R&R!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stella777 wrote: »
    The same happened with my gf, and I had to pm her a link to the forum.
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If you access the forum from my mod link, under forum tools choose the option subscribe to this forum. Once you've done that R&R will appear on your "Subbed" drop down menu.

Why weren't all members who were granted access notified that they had been accepted?

Des wrote: »
    Why weren't all members who were granted access notified that they had been accepted?

When we went private, over 700 people had been granted access. It's just short of 900 now. I can't speak for doc and keef, but for me personally, I have been way too busy in RL to take on that kind of pressure.

It was kinda done in a batched manner to try and get as many people as possible. TBF Dav and the guys put a lot of work to try and make sure everyone had access. We've been quite busy trying to catch up with anyone who doesn't have access.
    Anyone who doesn't have access PM me and I will make sure they know they have access and make sure that they know where the forum is. It's not the best solution I know but if anyone has any suggestions as to how we can reconcile ranters with its new home that would be a help.

Stick up a notice or announcement with the forum URL and explaining it's being made private. PM the mods for access if you want etc, all the info people need.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    When we went private, over 700 people had been granted access. It's just short of 900 now. I can't speak for doc and keef, but for me personally, I have been way too busy in RL to take on that kind of pressure.
    Shouldn't it have automaticall did it when adding them?
    TBF Dav and the guys put a lot of work to try and make sure everyone had access.
    control c and control v are quite taxing :P

Strange that cos I got a PM.
    Perks of moderatorhood.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I think we'll make a site wide announcement to request access on a thread (probably here). Seems like the best thing to do.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement