Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Fly rod

Options
  • 26-02-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey Guys I am getting more into flyfishing in the past few years and would consider myself at an intermediate level now. I am looking to get a slightly better Rod/Reel than I have right now. I have a budget of about €500, but could go higher if necessary. I was looking at the following rod, I would really appreciate it if people could give me their opinions on it. Also I would be really grateful if anyone had any alternatives to suggest. Many Thanks!
    John

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/sage-flight-outfits

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Although nice, I notice they are all 4-piece 8 1/2 to 9 foot rods.
    I assume you're fishing clear bank rivers primarily?
    I would think a 10 to 10 1/2 foot rod would be a better general purpose rod. Sometimes there is a high bank behind and a little extra length is handy.

So it might be interesting to get a 3-piece and put the saving into a foot of extra length.

Another observation. When an American fly rod maker says fast action, they mean really fast. So these will be deadly accurate, but unforgiving of timing that is even a teeny bit off. For an intermediate rod it might be good idea to consider looking at medium-fast action, as these will bring you on to a higher level with enjoyment - rather than driving you mad with leader tangles!
    Just so you know .... I'm fishing with a fly rod 40 years, can cast a full DT line, or 45 yards of a ST line ... but I still prefer rods that are medium-fast! In my case it's because I often seem to hook into large fish on very light leaders and tiny hooks, and I want rods that allow a gentle touch during the fight so the hook does not straighten or the thin wire tear out.
    I use a fast action for lure fishing with strong leaders and big flies, so I can drive them against the wind resistance that a bulky fly creates! Essentially it is a fly rod that functions as a spinning rod substitute.
    A lot depends on your kind of fishing which is most suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Have been away for a while and then busy tying flies looking forward to the season.
    Completly agree with coolwings advice on this one.
    Just a suggestion to add.
    I bought an 8ft6 4wt one of these last year for my dry river work(when wading)
    http://www.flyfishusa.com/rods/winston-temp/winston-vapor.htm

Comes with a free line of your choice and a quicker delivery than rods I ordered from the UK.
    Lovely actioned rod with a bit of forgiveness.
    I dont know what their longer rods are like.
    As mentioned by coolwings, it depends on where you intend to fish and what tactics you use. IMHO a 10ft 6wt medium actioned rod is a good general alrounder if you plan on having a go at it all.
    There is an angling trade fair on in citiwest this weekend with casting demos etc. You should be able to get plenty of advice and a few casts with prospective rods if you can get there.
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4 peterisgreen

howa john ,im fly fishing for a while my tuppence is match everything up and fire the feathers ,500 euros is a lot of money to spend if ure not sure.when i was young (a while ago)my fishing gear for all species was a fly rod with a steel centre in it to the break (my grandfathers),we used to murder them (for food)now its car!,no matter what you do the finny tribe will wine out,johnnyintipp

Advertisement