Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONT BOTHER YOUR TIME WITH COMREG

• 26-02-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Just a head's up with anyone who's thinking of contacting Comreg.

I just did and they can offer me no help what so ever with a faulty modem and constant disconnects with isp Perlico. They cant even send me a letter or email for use in the Small Claims Court.

Not to mention the lady on the other end is as condescending as ****.
    You have been warned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Just a head's up with anyone who's thinking of contacting Comreg.

I just did and they can offer me no help what so ever with a faulty modem and constant disconnects with isp Perlico. They cant even send me a letter or email for use in the Small Claims Court.

Not to mention the lady on the other end is as condescending as ****.
    You have been warned.

Comreg are not there to deal with faulty modems try the consumers association of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Comreg are not there to deal with faulty modems try the consumers association of Ireland

Then what pray tell does comreg do? if they dont actually regulate?

as stated on their website

ComReg is the statutory body responsible for the regulation of the electronic communications sector (telecommunications, radiocommunications and broadcasting transmission) and the postal sector.

paper tiger yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Probably the most relevant role they have in relation to this is to ensure the telecommunications companies have adequate complaints procedures in place, and that they adhere to them.

Ask Perlico about their complaints procedure and follow it. If you still get nowhere, then it's time to complain to ComReg who can and do follow up.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    Probably the most relevant role they have in relation to this is to ensure the telecommunications companies have adequate complaints procedures in place, and that they adhere to them.

Ask Perlico about their complaints procedure and follow it. If you still get nowhere, then it's time to complain to ComReg who can and do follow up.

Ive followed the complaints procedure in my contact-'contact perlico directly, comreg or another government body' via letter, call, email etc. Comreg dont seem to do much. Whenever they email back or when i call them for feedback all they tell me is waffle BS. Bottom line-they cant help me with my faulty modem. Comreg can only talk to Perlico 'on my behalf'-it would appear they have no legal powers. Hence the trip to the small court i imagine soon.

Before i send a email-tell me is the consumer association of Ireland another ngo or organization with no legal power?

Ive followed the complaints procedure in my contact-'contact perlico directly, comreg or another government body' via letter, call, email etc. Comreg dont seem to do much. Whenever they email back or when i call them for feedback all they tell me is waffle BS. Bottom line-they cant help me with my faulty modem. Comreg can only talk to Perlico 'on my behalf'-it would appear they have no legal powers. Hence the trip to the small court i imagine soon.

Comreg are not there for faulty modems / hardware, that is why they are not doing much. If you bought a new car and the battery had a fault, would you complain to the National Roads Authority.

Comreg are not there for faulty modems / hardware, that is why they are not doing much. If you bought a new car and the battery had a fault, would you complain to the National Roads Authority.

Point taken. So who does regulate isp's in ireland-if anyone?

What did Perlico say about the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

It isn't in ComReg's remit to deal with faulty modems, that's a consumer issue no different to a faulty washing machine or a faulty pogo stick. The statutory body with the relevant remit is the National Consumer Agency, and after that is Joe Duffy, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I worked in an isp.. When a customer complained to Comreg, comreg would call us saying sush and such made this complaint.. We would ring the customer saying we received their comreg complaint.

Call comreg back and say we made contact with customer and they closed the ticket..

They dont hold anything to isp's... no point complaining to them..

What did Perlico say about the modem?

Zyxel modem i have at home is faulty. The perlico tech support people confirmed this. They offered me a replacment zyxel as in the contract this is the only modem that perlico can offer me legally. I said no-can i get another modem as ive been having problems with this model since the start of my contract 6 months ago. I also told them them that eircom customers with the same zyxel modem had been having the same modem problems-dial up speeds and 30 minute disconnects.

I worked in an isp.. When a customer complained to Comreg, comreg would call us saying sush and such made this complaint.. We would ring the customer saying we received their comreg complaint.

Call comreg back and say we made contact with customer and they closed the ticket..

They dont hold anything to isp's... no point complaining to them..

Thank you-thats all i wanted to hear.

Zyxel modem i have at home is faulty. The perlico tech support people confirmed this. They offered me a replacment zyxel as in the contract this is the only modem that perlico can offer me legally. I said no-can i get another modem as ive been having problems with this model since the start of my contract 6 months ago. I also told them them that eircom customers with the same zyxel modem had been having the same modem problems-dial up speeds and 30 minute disconnects.

If they offered you a new modem, that is all they are obliged to do. If you are not happy with that, tell them you are going to leave, as that's about all you can do. They are covered by offering you a new modem, just because you don't want that model is not their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A faulty router?

Why don't they just flippin' replace it then?

A faulty router?

Why don't they just flippin' replace it then?
    They offered him a new one but from his posts above he doesn't want that brand or model.

"...... They offered me a replacment zyxel as in the contract this is the only modem that perlico can offer me legally. I said no-can i get another modem...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

sure if that is the only modem they supply then what do ya want them to do, buy a different one just for u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Have went from using Smarts oldschool generic router which never gave me a problem ever to a 50e Linksys which accommodates my families needs quite well.You need invest in a router instead of whining about a company who did nothing wrong according to your previous posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Zyxel modem i have at home is faulty. The perlico tech support people confirmed this. They offered me a replacment zyxel as in the contract this is the only modem that perlico can offer me legally. I said no-can i get another modem as ive been having problems with this model since the start of my contract 6 months ago.

Reading first post I had some sympathy with the OP, until I get to OP post no. 7 where the true story emerges. Perlico have done their job. Accept their offer or move providers. No wonder Comreg wouldn't entertain you. Get over it and stop whining.

• Advertisement

java wrote: »
    Reading first post I had some sympathy with the OP, until I get to OP post no. 7 where the true story emerges. Perlico have done their job. Accept their offer or move providers. No wonder Comreg wouldn't entertain you. Get over it and stop whining.

So no one here on boards have ever had problems with a modem provided by perlico/vodafone?

Yes yes the real story of course-this is my real story! Just to see to say i did try my old eircom netopia modem and it also had the same problems-But the eircom engineer said my line was ok-unless of course perlico lied and did not send a engineer to check my line. As promised the engineer in question never contacted me by phone. So yeh i basically ive been stonewalled by perlico.

And enough with all the 'blame me' posts-oh ive got problems-its all my fault that my modem ****ed-not perlico's-im a whiner ahhh :pac:

So no one here on boards have ever had problems with a modem provided by perlico/vodafone?

Yes yes the real story of course-this is my real story! Just to see to say i did try my old eircom netopia modem and it also had the same problems-But the eircom engineer said my line was ok-unless of course perlico lied and did not send a engineer to check my line. As promised the engineer in question never contacted me by phone. So yeh i basically ive been stonewalled by perlico.

And enough with all the 'blame me' posts-oh ive got problems-its all my fault that my modem ****ed-not perlico's-im a whiner ahhh :pac:

So you tried another modem and that didn't work as well?????

So you tried another modem and that didn't work as well?????

Yes. Anyone here know how long a application to the small claims court takes? a week/ a month?

This whole thread was you saying you had a faulty modem! and now you are saying it is not the modem but the line! as if another modem has the same problems, it would point to a problem with the line or your wiring in the house. Do you even know what problem you have before slagging off Comreg for not helping?

I just did and they can offer me no help what so ever with a faulty modem and constant disconnects with isp Perlico

This whole thread was you saying you had a faulty modem! and now you are saying it is not the modem but the line! as if another modem has the same problems, it would point to a problem with the line or your wiring in the house. Do you even know what problem you have before slagging off Comreg for not helping?

I just did and they can offer me no help what so ever with a faulty modem and constant disconnects with isp Perlico

Look i know you mean well but im going off to do my own thing with this now. Posting here is worse than phoning 1912. No point in mean explaining my story again-only to more ****e comments.

Your own words in earlier post highlighted above, but now you are saying you don't have a faulty modem. So if you know it is not the modem why would you ask them for a different model modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

To be honest I would not expect to get a good modem from any provider anywhere in the world... unless they are offering a cisco 1800 with ADSL option.. but then people would whine when theres no web interface.. or it cost €700 and has no wireless.. id love one on the otherhand :p

ISP's cannot carry a major selection, selection = cost = nightmare dealing with issues on phone support = complex warranty replacement

I have 5 ADSL modems, 2 of which i use and bought myself and never had much issue. The ones issued by ISP's are for backup purposes only.

Pierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Another related story:
    The modem supplied to me by BT was faulty in that it repeatedly disconnected every 24 hours after it was switched on or reconnected. BT eventually admit that the modem is inherently banjaxed and they're waiting on a firmware replacement for it, but that was after a few months of troubleshooting and being initially promised a €50 refund to buy my own working modem, twice! Despite they know they have a router that simply doesn't properly work by design, I was told in January that they wouldn't give the refund and that I'd have to put up and shut up until Vodafone come along with their own brand of modems.

I'm switching over to Vodafone in about 3 weeks, but somehow I think I'm going to have another problem on my hands in explaining to them...

Anyway, the OP did have a problem but unless there's a particular issue instead of generic disconnect issues, there's no case for perlico to answer in not giving out a differnet brand of modem. I don't know how perlico would simply claim that the router is faulty without some detailed inspection or a new Zyxel being sent out at least. What they've failed to do is to do something about the disconnects in the first instance. Perhaps they should have sent out a technician to look at the line etc.

Advertisement