Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX Wireless Extender - is it possible ?

• 26-02-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,
    hope someone can help me here - asking a question on behalf of my son.

Our XBOX console is in a unit in kids playroom and set up to receive wireless signal through home broadband network. The signal is poor to fair at the best of times probably because it is in a hole/section approx the the same size as the XBOX itself (IKEA unit). Instead of moving the router from upstairs (which I can do but as a last resort) I was wondering if it was possible to get a USB extention cable to plug into the rear of XBOX and attach the XBOX wireless receiver at the other end at the top of the unit (like an aerial so to speak)

Anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If the Xbox Wireless adaptor connects via USB then there should be no problems, but watch out an extender is USB 2.0 and not 1.0 as it gives a worse signal overall. Can be easily checked by plugging into a PC USB port and usually says if its not USB 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

if you're buying the extender, you'd be hard pressed to find a usb 1.0 cable. there pretty rare tbh. if its an old one at home then you'd want to check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

that is actually a good idea, I hadent thought of that for mine 2nd xbox that my kids use. nice 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this is what i use on my desk top pc, 1.5 meter usb extension cable with the wireless adapter connected to the other end sat on the desktop as opposed to the back of pc on the floor.

No reason but those mentioned why it shouldn't work no issues re: pings or signal on my pc.

you can get a cable for a few € but these sometimes come with wireless keyboards and mice, one of which is actually what im using :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Or you could use one of those wifi signal boosters I've seen on sale to increase the signal from the router.

I havent used one so I cant say how much it will help though... perhaps someone else has?

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement