Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

didnt fail anything which was a surprise. did f all work if the truth be told and ended up with 350 points. so now its time to buckle down an actually study lol.

got a b2 in English which is nice, and a c1 in history. one % off a b the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Finally got them all back !

English (H) 53%
    Irish (H) 81%
    Maths (O) 80% (Project maths)
    French (H) 39%
    Physics (H) 47%
    Construction(H) 53%
    Economics (H) 78%

370 points...Wanna get 400 to be safe for my course though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

results:
    economics: 67
    history:40
    geog:52
    french:54
    English:47
    Business:62

340 points, need to get another 40. should be likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Maths (OL) 98%
    Irish (HL) 74%
    Business (HL) 73%
    Economics (HL) 80%
    Accounting (HL) 87%

still waiting on English and French, both Higher level so I'm expecting to get around 430-440 overall when they come back:) i need about 480 so I'm happy enough with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Maths (H): 30%
    Irish (O): 64%
    English (H): 59%
    German (H): 66%
    Geography (H): 63%
    Physics (H): 36%
    Technology (H): 54%
    Applied Maths (H): 18%

Suicidally miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

So far

Irish- 63% including mock oral. Very happy with that.
    English- waiting for P2
    Economics-85% =D
    Music- 68% including practical
    German- 65 including oral
    Maths (ord level) 40.5%
    Business 47% (no idea how)

Not too bad-if they can all come up a bit in june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 whitneymufc2010

I got
    b2(hl) 75% English(i was happy, ffelt like it went bad on day)
    D1(hl) 48% classical stuides(classics is just ugh)
    C2(hl) 59% irish(excluding oral, yet to do)
    C1(ol) 68% maths(alright sure)
    C1(hl) 68% history(was doing well, one essay went terrible)
    b2(hl) 78% geography(was happy)
    C2(hl) 63% german(excluding oral which I didnt do)

410, im going for arts in galway, so im doing okay, i did very little untill the night before the exams, im not happy with it, because i cant understand how i got 410, was hoping for a wake up call, it was all late night cramming.

Is it often people go down points from their mocks? I will put a lot more work in for leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

I dont have all of them back,

Maths (pass) 89%

Irish (higher) 83%

Chemistry (higher) 62% ---->very disappointed with this one, but did no work so what you gonna do..

French (higher) 90%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

All Higher level.
    English: 57% (happy enough considering I didn't finish both papers)
    Irish: 61% (totally unexpected! :) )
    Maths: 57% (could be better..)
    German: 60% :)
    Physics: 49% (quite disappointing to be honest)
    Chemistry: 52% (it's alright)
    Art: 61% (annoyed!)
    Applied Maths: 33% (lol. can't say I didn't expect it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Got 5 back so far...

English - 68%
    Biology - 75%
    German - 77%
    Home Ec - 71%
    Geography - 89%

:)
    These are excellent results!...
    Congrats!!!...
    I'm in fifth year and I may be completely off but I'm finding geography really difficult:/...
    I've gotten an A in every class test but I feel that is just because we have a set no. of q's to learn...
    I also got an A in my Christmas test but I feel like that was kind of a fluke??...
    I just noticed your really good results and I'm wondering if you have a chance could you enlighten me!...
    It just seems like there is an infinate amount of q's that could come up and I'm worried that when it comes to the actual exam I wont be able to remember everything:confused::confused:...
    I dont mean to seem crazy or anything:o but some advise would be greatly appreciated...
    Thank you...
    Aisling Marie...xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Irish (H) 45% including the oral
    English (H) 68%
    Maths (O) 44%
    Geography (H) 70%
    French (O) 71% not including oral
    Art (H) 70%
    Music (H) 56% not including practicle

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

These are excellent results!...
    Congrats!!!...
    I'm in fifth year and I may be completely off but I'm finding geography really difficult:/...
    I've gotten an A in every class test but I feel that is just because we have a set no. of q's to learn...
    I also got an A in my Christmas test but I feel like that was kind of a fluke??...
    I just noticed your really good results and I'm wondering if you have a chance could you enlighten me!...
    It just seems like there is an infinate amount of q's that could come up and I'm worried that when it comes to the actual exam I wont be able to remember everything:confused::confused:...
    I dont mean to seem crazy or anything:o but some advise would be greatly appreciated...
    Thank you...
    Aisling Marie...xxx

If you have gotten an A in every test you obviously have nothing to worry about. When it comes to Geography, the same questions come up every single year. There is not an infinite amount of questions at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I have a book for geography called exam skills and its really good.. they do sample questions for all the past papers.. if thats any help to you! I got it in easons for about €15!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

cork*girl wrote: »
    I have a book for geography called exam skills and its really good.. they do sample questions for all the past papers.. if thats any help to you! I got it in easons for about €15!

Oh cool thanks I'll look out for it!...
    I just need a little guidance...
    Because we dont use exam papers this year it's difficult to know where we're heading in class!!...
    Thanks for you help and good luck!..xx:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jalock

I got 450 points.......but somehow still managed to fail pass maths. ah well. sh1t happens

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Just got all of them back there, I know sooo late!:mad:

English(H) - 73%
    Irish(H) - 71% - Chuffed to be honest
    French(H) - 76% - Extremely disappointed
    Biology(H) - 78%
    Economics(H) - 78%
    Music(H) - 63% - Again extremely disappointed
    Maths(O) - 85%

Total - 460 points
    Aim - 530 points
    Overall happy enough about my results, but really disappointed by French, Economics and Music. Hopefully I can push all these grades up!:pac:

Do you think I can improve by 80 points?

Just got all of them back there, I know sooo late!:mad:

English(H) - 73%
    Irish(H) - 71% - Chuffed to be honest
    French(H) - 76% - Extremely disappointed
    Biology(H) - 78%
    Economics(H) - 78%
    Music(H) - 63% - Again extremely disappointed
    Maths(O) - 85%

Total - 460 points
    Aim - 530 points
    Overall happy enough about my results, but really disappointed by French, Economics and Music. Hopefully I can push all these grades up!:pac:

Do you think I can improve by 80 points?

YES:D you'll definitely improve your economics anyway, as you know....it was marked wrong:mad: and if you improve your maths a tiny bit to an A1, that's an easy 10 points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Yeah, got all mine back yesterday. 385. Damn sickened, but considering I did next to no study, all except last night sessions, I suppose its alright..
    English (h) - 62%
    Economics (h) - 80%
    Biology (h) - 58%
    Home Ec (h) - 60%
    Irish (o) - 64%
    German (o) 69% - DELIGHTED, only picked up German last year so I can get into UCC.
    Maths (o) 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Stryderman wrote: »
    YES:D you'll definitely improve your economics anyway, as you know....it was marked wrong:mad: and if you improve your maths a tiny bit to an A1, that's an easy 10 points

Cheers Kerins!:) How'd you get on?

I got 460, i'm deligheted because i barely did any study at all..... I seriously need to delete my facebook or something untill june:eek: but I got:
    English: 66% (HL) - Happy:)
    French: 66% (HL) - Unhappy:mad:
    Economics: (HL) I got 78% but I think it should have been at least 80% but I suppose there's no points complaining.
    Irish: (HL) 74% - Not too happy with that, plenty of room for improvement.
    Business: (HL) 73% - Not Happy:mad:
    Accounting: (HL) 87% - Very Happy:D
    Maths: (OL) 98% - :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

English - C1 - I was disappointed, I felt really good about that exam.
    Irish (pass) - B3 - I was happy, but I hope to improve because I hadn't learned paper two!
    Maths (pass) - D2 - I was over the moon, not only did I pass, I got a D2! Haha
    Art - B3 - Really happy
    Geography - B2 - Delighted, I felt like that exam went terribly but it turned out to be my best one
    German - C2 - Disappointed, I thought German was one of my best subjects but everyone did badly and we're a strong class so maybe it was the paper.
    Music - C3 - Disappointed - I failed my melody and I don't know what went wrong because I'm normally fine with them.

385, my course was 380 last year so hopefully it won't go up too much. I was happy overall, although I'm not actually sure about my German result :P Can anybody tell me, what are the percentages of the German paper - I know the oral is 25%, but what are the paper and the tape test worth individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

Did Absolutely Terrible in the Mocks, Definetly a wake up call...possibly the worst results here.

English HL : 64%
    Music HL : 58%
    French OL : 75%
    Business : NG (Slept through Exam :confused:)
    Home Ec HL: 15% ? Baffles me.
    Irish HL: 25% (Slept through paper 2, so got possibly 50% in Paper One?)
    Maths OL: 54% (Dropped down on the day, Didnt know the Ordinary course so im not too worried about this one.)

In saying all that i didn't study a tap, I'd like to think of myself as kinda bright, so hopefully with a good bit of study between now and June I'll be able to Rectify the situation! :cool::cool::D:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

My Mocks were a bit tragic

English Hl 53%, got to the end of paper two and realised i didn't do the unseen..
    Irish Hl 71%, very happy but want a better result, went to an irish primary school so have to do better..
    Maths ol.40% disaster, did not study vectors and left stuff out on paper one.
    French Hl.. 35% my only fail was so annoyed with it, now thats a dissapointing result, not 70% like i have seen
    History Hl. 58% made a hash of the stalin essay, started writing then ran out of material.. never good..
    Economics hl. 60% happy with this, only studied the two days before it and the short questions were a disaster for it.. well for me they were anyways
    Geography 44% hl, we had not done the elective question and just did not have enough material to answer full questions.. my most dissapointing result because i thought i was good at geography

305 points.. want 430.. is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Robbie12

whats project maths? is going to be worth 80pts inbetween higher and ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Robbie12 wrote: »

It's a new maths syllabus. Points are the same as everyone else's maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It's a new maths syllabus. Points are the same as everyone else's maths.

But it's a hell of a lot easier than the current syllabus

So are they getting rid of higher and ordinary and replacing it with that or whats the stroy?

If so why are they doing it?

It'l make 1st year for people doing the likes of engineering alot harder for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Rothmans wrote: »
    But it's a hell of a lot easier than the current syllabus

I'd just beg to differ, as we have no book for it just crappy handout pages. The teachers are being taught as we go along, so they come back with the information that has been given to them. It's not really efficient. Also, you don't receive marks for attempts, and for example if an answer should be 10cm and you just write 10 you would lose 3 marks - which is quite a lot.

For people who are not good at maths (myself included) it is nearly worse as you have to explain what you are doing and why when doing a sum, so should you manage to work it out and show your workings but can't explain why or how you could work it out you lose a hell of a lot of marks.

Project maths is meant to be "student friendly", but I find it to be a complicated way of asking a straight forward sum e.g. Deirdre was looking up at a church blah blah blah when asking an angle of elevation question.

It's no fun being the test-run dummies, to be honest.

But the maths doesn't go into as much depth as just regular higher maths?

Thats just like in physics where you need to give the units e.g cm etc.

It seems like the S.A.T's in america.

Aswell the teachers are getting trained as they go along? I'm sure they can still do maths so all you need is the answer and they'd know how to do it so i don't see how thats a disadvantage.

Its not a complicated way of asking it! "Susan has 6 apples" job makes it more real life , people used to complain that the questions were asked in a too technical way etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

So are they getting rid of higher and ordinary and replacing it with that or whats the stroy?

No, there's higher and ordinary and foundation, just like with the current syllabus. They're changing some of the content - putting some new stuff on and taking some other stuff off. They're trying to increase the emphasis on understanding what you're doing, on being able to explain what's going on, and on the ability to apply your maths to problems that you're less familiar with, where it's not so obvious how to proceed.

This is the kind of skill that it has been said needs to be developed more. The problem is that students find it very hard, and there are also less marks to be had for just learning off routine procedures.

To people who are already pretty good at problem solving, this kind of stuff looks a lot easier than it really is for everyone else. So the poor students get it from both sides. They're expected to be better at the stuff that most people find very hard, while the "experts" give out about dumbing down!

Advertisement