Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Results

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Robbie12 wrote: »
    But the maths doesn't go into as much depth as just regular higher maths?

Thats just like in physics where you need to give the units e.g cm etc.

It seems like the S.A.T's in america.

Aswell the teachers are getting trained as they go along? I'm sure they can still do maths so all you need is the answer and they'd know how to do it so i don't see how thats a disadvantage.

Its not a complicated way of asking it! "Susan has 6 apples" job makes it more real life , people used to complain that the questions were asked in a too technical way etc...

Are you doing project maths? Did you see the first trial examination that was given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Anthem

Have most of mine back, school must be the slowest ever at getting results....

English(H) 90% - very happy with this one
    Chemistry(H) 89%
    Physics(H) 86%
    Spanish(H) 86%
    Irish(H) 86%
    Music(H) (excl. practical) 74%, bit annoyed with this one but nobody got an A in my year...
    Maths(H) Paper 1 77%, hoping pending Paper 2 results will drag this up a bit, still to get App Maths too... *sigh*

So 540 thus far, aiming pretty high overall despite not being quite sure what I want to do yet... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Irish 71% with oral :D seeing as i didn't learn any poetry or any essays before hand :D
    English 63% essay brought me up.. forgot the name of all of boland poems so i was talking about the poem where she drives down the road to the west of ireland
    Maths 46% :| i didn't have probability done... that'd have brought me to a C on it's own
    French 41% i passed :D and gonna do the real one trí gaeilge for the 10% bonus so happy with that seeing as i don't know 2 words of french
    Construction 59% ishish should have studied but went drinkin over the whole midterm instead of studiyn for this
    Physics 77% :D:D:D: :D:D only the most unfair hard experiemnt quesitons and 1-2 sign errors here and there stopped an A
    DCG - didn't do it because the projects had to be finished up but expected i'd have got 2% because I'd all forgotten seeing as i hadn't done a thing in 4 months over the project lol

that's in or around 370 or something.. didn't add it up right at all...

happy enough with that seeing as i dind't do a toss for it if i'd actually prepared for half those exams i'd have done soooo much better lol

need in or around 430 so i'm happy all the same :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

No, there's higher and ordinary and foundation, just like with the current syllabus. They're changing some of the content - putting some new stuff on and taking some other stuff off. They're trying to increase the emphasis on understanding what you're doing, on being able to explain what's going on, and on the ability to apply your maths to problems that you're less familiar with, where it's not so obvious how to proceed.

This is the kind of skill that it has been said needs to be developed more. The problem is that students find it very hard, and there are also less marks to be had for just learning off routine procedures.

To people who are already pretty good at problem solving, this kind of stuff looks a lot easier than it really is for everyone else. So the poor students get it from both sides. They're expected to be better at the stuff that most people find very hard, while the "experts" give out about dumbing down!

i really wish i could have done this course.. i love doing maths when i know what i'm doing.. but my teacher is one of those teachers that MAKES us learn a method of and that's how to do it...

we're doing probability these days and i'm getting A's in all the tests because i have to think to do a question...

now all the "striaght A's" are struggling because they can't just put a formula straight to the sum and have it work out just like that...

it's great that their finally getting sense and making the course suit those that actually THINK FOR THEMSELVES and UNDERSTAND the principals...

just wish i'd gotten a run at this new course:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

English : 57 - I get A's and B's. I got it corrected again off three teachers. Got an A2 off one and B1 off the other two.

Irish: 97% Pass

Geography: 82 % Honours

Home-Ec: 77 % Honours

Business: 76 % Honours

French: 65 % Honours.

Not counting maths! Got a C1 in pass but all I need is 375 - So Ill say around 400 this year! Glad Im on the way! Only six weeks left! Cant wait to study Geography, English and Phycology! - PRAYS- :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaRa_TrueBlue

Ro ye swat analysis :P xxxx

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Irish 71% with oral :D seeing as i didn't learn any poetry or any essays before hand :D
    English 63% essay brought me up.. forgot the name of all of boland poems so i was talking about the poem where she drives down the road to the west of ireland
    Maths 46% :| i didn't have probability done... that'd have brought me to a C on it's own
    French 41% i passed :D and gonna do the real one trí gaeilge for the 10% bonus so happy with that seeing as i don't know 2 words of french
    Construction 59% ishish should have studied but went drinkin over the whole midterm instead of studiyn for this
    Physics 77% :D:D:D: :D:D only the most unfair hard experiemnt quesitons and 1-2 sign errors here and there stopped an A
    DCG - didn't do it because the projects had to be finished up but expected i'd have got 2% because I'd all forgotten seeing as i hadn't done a thing in 4 months over the project lol

that's in or around 370 or something.. didn't add it up right at all...

happy enough with that seeing as i dind't do a toss for it if i'd actually prepared for half those exams i'd have done soooo much better lol

need in or around 430 so i'm happy all the same :cool:

Are you doing Honors French? I got a D1 in the mocks and don't know whether to drop down or not. Are you? I need like 400 so I don't really need the points I guess! Id just like someone else's pov

Ro ye swat analysis :P xxxx

YOUR THE SWAT ANALYSIS! Checking your journal in the locker room.. muhahaha!
    And when you want to 'reply to someone' click Quote! Just to let you know Ciara with a fada! Xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Maths (H) 81%
    Economics (H) 90%
    Chemistry(H) 87%
    Biology (H) 77%
    English (H) 73%
    Spanish (H) 78%
    Irish (O) 72%
    So 510, need 560 in the real thing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

all these high results make me sad lol

English - 55%
    biology - 58%
    maths - em lets not
    Irish - 95% in foundation thought
    business - 54%
    history - 50%
    construction studies - 55%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ShannonIE2010

Are the Mocks marked harder then the real Leaving Cert? I did bad in the mocks and im afraid now if i do bad in the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Are the Mocks marked harder then the real Leaving Cert? I did bad in the mocks and im afraid now if i do bad in the real thing!
    Almost everyone goes up from the mocks.It's not that they're marked harder on purpose but it's that the people marking mightn't do a good job.You also count the fact that for the real thing you have like 3 extra months from the mocks so you should go up.Some people even manage to go up by 150-300+ points depending on how much work they did for the mocks and real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Also for nearly every science subject, they tend to change the marking schemes in the Leaving Cert when they mark the papers. What happens is that if less than 20% get the questions right, or don't get it due to it's difficulty, the examiners are told to change the marking schemes according to national standards. So you're bound to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Danish Door

I'm really worried about my results from the mocks:
    Maths- 44% want 65% in real thing
    English - 76% want 90%+
    Geog - 78% want 90%+
    Music 62% (didn't do a mock practical) want a 80%+
    Art 75% want 80%+
    Irish 60% which is what i wanted
    French doesn't count :p
    (All honours)

what do yous think? Is it possible to get the results I want after looking at me results? I'm starting solid study from today onwards, can you go up much from the mocks? Especially in maths considering I was close to a fail and only have 5 weeks left to bring it up to a C1 :eek::(

Advertisement