Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

fufureida wrote: »
    My examiner was really nice and for some reason loved my terrible paper one short story. He/She also overlooked some spelling errors.

If I had no spellingmistakes would have gotten an A. Bummer...

An A1 in english is so easy though. Being a beast at paper 1 is the key, do NOT neglect preparing for that.

It's quite laughable that you say it's so easy to get an A1, yet you were one of the people who cheated and checked up on the English exam! Why would you need to cheat if you feel it's so easy to get an A1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

My examiner was really nice and for some reason loved my terrible paper one short story. He/She also overlooked some spelling errors.

If I had no spellingmistakes would have gotten an A. Bummer...

An A1 in english is so easy though. Being a beast at paper 1 is the key, do NOT neglect preparing for that.

5% of candidates get an A1, so yeah it's piss easy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Mayoegian wrote: »
    It's quite laughable that you say it's so easy to get an A1, yet you were one of the people who cheated and checked up on the English exam! Why would you need to cheat if you feel it's so easy to get an A1?

For one thing, our teacher told us what poets to study; Wb Yeats, Kavanagh and I think the other was Boland. Since we only went over LG, it was natural that I would only go over LG. I got 94% in paper 1 and 69% in paper 2. The only thing I needed peace of mind with was the King Lear ecam craft question, seeing I havnt even done the play yet cus Im a repeat and she hasnt gone over it yet...ive done 2 Acts thats all and 3 themes. I still scored poorly in it, even knowing the question word for word. Believe me, knowing whats on an exam a night before will not dramatically change your numbers, I didnt attempt to learn off the entire English course either. Just wanted a peace of mind.

The reason I think it is easy to get an A1 in English is because I got a B1 in my LC in 2008...and at the time I was a total messer never studied. Hence, why I believe with more work and learning the other poets Im pretty set for my A in the real thing...if I get a B1 again I
    will be very dissapointed...

Anyone who got a C3 in the mocks or higher will definately manage an A in the LC; you just have to adopt a positive way of thinking!

For one thing, our teacher told us what poets to study; Wb Yeats, Kavanagh and I think the other was Boland. Since we only went over LG, it was natural that I would only go over LG. I got 94% in paper 1 and 69% in paper 2. The only thing I needed peace of mind with was the King Lear ecam craft question, seeing I havnt even done the play yet cus Im a repeat and she hasnt gone over it yet...ive done 2 Acts thats all and 3 themes. I still scored poorly in it, even knowing the question word for word. Believe me, knowing whats on an exam a night before will not dramatically change your numbers, I didnt attempt to learn off the entire English course either. Just wanted a peace of mind.

The reason I think it is easy to get an A1 in English is because I got a B1 in my LC in 2008...and at the time I was a total messer never studied. Hence, why I believe with more work and learning the other poets Im pretty set for my A in the real thing...if I get a B1 again I
    will be very dissapointed...

Anyone who got a C3 in the mocks or higher will definately manage an A in the LC; you just have to adopt a positive way of thinking!

An A1 student in English who doesn't use apostrophes?

There's a massive difference between getting an A1 and a B1. The results are fitted to a bell curve and they only give out an A1 to about every one in twenty students. There's a world of difference between someone who achieves an A1 in English and someone who achieves a B1.

An A1 student in English who doesn't use apostrophes?

There's a massive difference between getting an A1 and a B1. The results are fitted to a bell curve and they only give out an A1 to about every one in twenty students. There's a world of difference between someone who achieves an A1 in English and someone who achieves a B1.

First off, low blow. Im on an itouch cant be arsed to use proper grammar. I know I can get an A cus I didnt even DO prescribed poetry question in 2008 left it BLANK and still got a B1. Someone else I know who got an A2 was informed if she had simply corrected 4 spelling mistakes and had a better conclusion to an essay she would have gotten an A1... therefore, I believe it is VERY possibly.

Wow, so many haters just because Im trying to boost confidence in ppl and myself! LOL!!!!

• Advertisement

Wow, so many haters just because Im trying to boost confidence in ppl and myself! LOL!!!!

With completely false information? You're not boosting confidence, you're just spreading ignorance.

With completely false information? You're not boosting confidence, you're just spreading ignorance.

I never once said you can get an A with zero study. I said its very possible to get one. People get A1's in real life dont they? So how is it ignorant to say it is possible to get one? Maybe you need to take a leaf out of my book and realise you can get an A in english with the proper devotion! :D YAY!

Anyway look we obviously have diff opinions, lets not get off the topic on this thread.

Anyway, I failed Maths...ordinary...bummer...:( 22% Maths just never has been my thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I never once said you can get an A with zero study. I said its very possible to get one. People get A1's in real life dont they? So how is it ignorant to say it is possible to get one? Maybe you need to take a leaf out of my book and realise you can get an A in english with the proper devotion! :D YAY!

Anyway look we obviously have diff opinions, lets not get off the topic on this thread.

Anyway, I failed Maths...ordinary...bummer...:( 22% Maths just never has been my thing.

Man that sucks :(. I don`t think I did too well in my Maths OL either.probably becuase I did practically zero study for it. As it`s my only OL subject I put other higher level subjects first(mainly HL Irish because it`s a bitch).

seanbmc wrote: »
    Man that sucks :(. I don`t think I did too well in my Maths OL either.probably becuase I did practically zero study for it. As it`s my only OL subject I put other higher level subjects first(mainly HL Irish because it`s a bitch).

Yeah Im gonna definately make a pact with myself that I will be able to double that percentage...I will be so happy just to pass maths...its always been a killer for me...in my first LC I got good enough honours in everything but maths was a big dirty F...:(

I tend to focus on HL subjects too...I mean I just know I can never get an A1 in maths because I have just never been good at that subject. Been skimping passes for as long as I can remember and failing most of the time... I dont see the point working for maths and getting an A anyway because in the end of the day its only 60 points! I think its so unfair - ordinary level ppl find maths just as challenging as a HL student might, we should be awarded somewhat similary! An A1 should be 75-80 points in ordinary I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

I agree with fufureida. You don't write the way you speak and most people don't write the way they write in a LC exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I must admit that I'm disappointed with my results so far! I know they're only the Mocks and they're badly corrected etc. but compared with other people in my school's results, they're not great (all HL)...

Maths - 60%
    Irish - 81%
    Biology - 78%

My Irish teacher thinks I should have got a lot more, she's not impressed at all, so she's going to get it recorrected :p
    that's not bad at all. and who gives a f**k what other people get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I dont see the point working for maths and getting an A anyway because in the end of the day its only 60 points! I think its so unfair - ordinary level ppl find maths just as challenging as a HL student might, we should be awarded somewhat similary! An A1 should be 75-80 points in ordinary I believe.
    If they changed the points for ordinary maths, they'd have to raise the points of higher maths equally. Otherwise it just wouldn't be fair to honours students, who have to do a much tougher course for just twenty extra points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I wouldn't worry for doing apparently 'bad' in Maths at this stage of the year. No school has the course covered at this time. So just keep on plugging away and June will see a big improvement.
    English however, is a bit different. Seeing as Paper 1 is basically just a practice practice and practice, its a little more realistic a comparison to how you will do in June. But just because you did well now, is no reason to think you can ease off on the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

that's not bad at all. and who gives a f**k what other people get?

Yeah, very true - it's just a bit of a kick at the time. I usually do as well, if not better, than a lot of those people but that's life. Plenty of time for us all to change things! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Lawliet wrote: »
    If they changed the points for ordinary maths, they'd have to raise the points of higher maths equally. Otherwise it just wouldn't be fair to honours students, who have to do a much tougher course for just twenty extra points.

I would love if they raised the points, i think it's much harder to do well in than other subjects but maybe just my opinion.
    Mocks wise i'm doing fine, 4B's and a D in all honours and i'm waiting on two more. I'm happy but hoping they get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

i agree with what ye are saying about people doing really well in their mocks after knowing everything that's coming up. i only found out about this website the other day, and i'm finished my mocks. if i knew what was coming up in all my subjects, what would be the point in paying out nearly 100 euro to get them corrected? what would be the point in even DOING the mocks? yeah, you'll do well, but who is EVER going to ask you what you got in your mocks? your mocks don't get you a college place, and doing well in them, maybe it will keep your parents or teachers happy for a while, but what happens when you get your leaving cert results? knowing whats on your papers and getting good grades gives you a false sense of security for the real thing. you'll think you're sound and probably won't study as much as you really need to. anyway, teachers know most students potentials, so they will know something's up if you are a C student for 2years and then magnificently get an A in your mocks. i'm delighted i didn't know about this website before my mocks, it definately would have been tempting to look at it for subjects like home ec and geography where you have to learn loads. my home ec teacher has already told me that she thinks i probably failed, (didn't get results back yet) but i don't care. that'll give me the drive to work really hard in it and get a really good grade in the real thing. :pac::pac::)

Lawliet wrote: »

No they wouldnt! That doesnt make sense... what you are saying could be interpreted both ways! Like I said, ordinary level ppl find maths just as hard/easy as a higher level person would/wouldnt.
    Say student A does HL maths and picks a course that requires HL maths. Student A needs 500 points.

Student B does ordinary level maths and is picking a 500 point course that is completely unrelated to maths yet he STILL needs same level as points as Student A.

its unfair that Student B's opportunity is being lowered just because he/she isnt doing HL Maths! get my drift?

Yep Felic I agree with you been studying since my mocks have been over too!

No they wouldnt! That doesnt make sense... what you are saying could be interpreted both ways! Like I said, ordinary level ppl find maths just as hard/easy as a higher level person would/wouldnt.
    Say student A does HL maths and picks a course that requires HL maths. Student A needs 500 points.

Student B does ordinary level maths and is picking a 500 point course that is completely unrelated to maths yet he STILL needs same level as points as Student A.

its unfair that Student B's opportunity is being lowered just because he/she isnt doing HL Maths! get my drift?

What you're saying doesn't make sense. No one would bother doing HL maths if ordinary level was worth 80 points. Everyone would take their 80 points and leave. There's not a 20 point difference between ordinary and higher either... more like a 100 point difference.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. No one would bother doing HL maths if ordinary level was worth 80 points. Everyone would take their 80 points and leave.
    The value of higher level maths would stay the same...alot of Uni's only accept HL maths and alot of ppl who do HL maths always pursue some science oriented course, with HIGH points. I don't even know how many times I have read '' Higher Level Math required '' on cours details.
    Its unfair on ordinary maths ppl, or any subject for that matter. IMO, any Ordinary Level subject should be worth at least 70-75 points. 10 points can make a serious difference...alot of ppl know this.

• Advertisement

i agree. honours is WAY harder than pass maths. most people doing honours would be delighted with a B2 (80 points) in higher, and would have to work really really hard to get that. you could, with very little work, get an a1 in pass after doing honours for junior cert. you wouldn't have to learn much more.

The value of higher level maths would stay the same...alot of Uni's only accept HL maths and alot of ppl who do HL maths always pursue some science oriented course, with HIGH points. I don't even know how many times I have read '' Higher Level Math required '' on cours details.
    Its unfair on ordinary maths ppl, or any subject for that matter. IMO, any Ordinary Level subject should be worth at least 70-75 points. 10 points can make a serious difference...alot of ppl know this.

Massive generalisation. I'm going for an A1 in HL maths and I'm planning on doing computer science which has been 300 points for last 5 years or so.

Only courses I've seen that require HL maths have been either engineering courses or maths courses.

yeah it can, but then it's unfair on people who have to work way harder for honours. if you need higher maths for your course, obviously you'll do higher maths and put the work into it. i don't need higher maths, infact i have arts down for all my choices on my cao, but i'm going to give it a go anyway, to up my points.

LL92 wrote: »
    i agree. honours is WAY harder than pass maths. most people doing honours would be delighted with a B2 (80 points) in higher, and would have to work really really hard to get that. you could, with very little work, get an a1 in pass after doing honours for junior cert. you wouldn't have to learn much more.

See what you are saying is based on your opinion and your abilities. You must be strong in maths, or maybe this is just your opinion, which is fine. I believe that alot of ppl are just NOT able to do maths well and grade high, hence why so many ppl fail ordinary every year! This is no suprise, everyone is aware of this. Someone who finds maths hard will find it just as hard in Ordinary as someone who finds it hard in HL. You say that ppl would be delighted with a B2 in HL, 80 points, but did you know that a B2 in ordinary is only 40 points!
    How is that fair? I know for a fact I would have to work really really hard to get a B2, and for what? 40 measly points!

See what you are saying is based on your opinion and your abilities. You must be strong in maths, or maybe this is just your opinion, which is fine. I believe that alot of ppl are just NOT able to do maths well and grade high, hence why so many ppl fail ordinary every year! This is no suprise, everyone is aware of this. Someone who finds maths hard will find it just as hard in Ordinary as someone who finds it hard in HL. You say that ppl would be delighted with a B2 in HL, 80 points, but did you know that a B2 in ordinary is only 40 points!
    How is that fair? I know for a fact I would have to work really really hard to get a B2, and for what? 40 measly points!

The same argument could be made for every subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

In all fairness those who are more mathematically minded than linguistically minded get the raw end of the deal,as far as I am concerned anyway. English and Irish are both compulsory,and for the majority of courses that would require 500+ points (just using your example), a third language is practically compulsory. It can make it very difficult on those who don't do so well as far as languages/ expression are concerned and while they can partially compensate with their choice subjects, it still puts them at a distinct disadvantage IMO.

I'm not finished my mocks but they're being corrected by my teachers, so I won't have them back for a month or so at least. :p

The same argument could be made for every subject.

yeah, thats exactly what I said...:P even if a B2 in Ordinary was worth 55 points or something it makes a mile of a difference in the long run...I think so anyway! Im not telling anyone to agree.:o

In all fairness those who are more mathematically minded than linguistically minded get the raw end of the deal,as far as I am concerned anyway. English and Irish are both compulsory,and for the majority of courses that would require 500+ points (just using your example), a third language is practically compulsory.

I'm not finished my mocks but they're being corrected by my teachers, so I won't have them back for a month or so at least. :p

I have met ppl who are very skilled in languages and sciences...What Im saying is that not everyone is blessed with a brilliant mathematical mind. Some people I believe just cannot do well in something, not everyone is good at everything; this is a worldy fact...why not just cater for ppl who are not brilliantly minded and reward them with slightly higher points?

why not just cater for ppl who are not brilliantly minded and reward them with slightly higher points?

Because they don't deserve those points? What are suggesting we give everyone A1's in everything because we feel sorry for them?

• Advertisement

Because they don't deserve those points? What are suggesting we give everyone A1's in everything because we feel sorry for them?

I never said that lol I find it funny how you twist everything I say. By my logic an ordinary A1 will still be worth 30 points less than a higher level point A1.

i.e what Im saying is
    HL A1 = 100 OL A1 = 70

But whatever just my opinion. Obviously some ppl dont get that millions of people have huge strenghts and simultaeneously great weaknesses.

Advertisement